Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is it TTS, PF, or sciatica?

Posted by TJ DeSantis on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046450)

I was originally diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis in Jan 2000. Went through all the podiatrist treatments: NSAIDS, cortisone injections, orthotics and stretching (even have a Step Stretch). I am now more flexible than I ever was in my life... and I still have heel pain!

I don't think I have PF for the following reasons: My pain is worse at night than in the morning. My pain is not any greater when (and after) I participate physical activity (touch football, lacrosse or skiing). I get a numbness/tingling feeling in my heel instead of a sharp pain in my arch.

Since I've ruled out PF, I'm debating whether it is TTS or sciatica. I'm leaning towards sciatica because of the following:

(1) December 1999: Bad snowboarding fall where I attempted a jump and landed on my tailbone. Shortly thereafter, I started experiencing my pain.
(2) The pain is equal in BOTH feet.
(3) My chances of experiencing pain and the intensity of my pain increase if I sit for prolonged periods (I am a software engineer and sit a computer most of the day).
(4) If I lie on my back and raise a straightened leg I feel a 'pull' in my heel.

I'm not sure if it's sciatica or TTS since I do not have any of the other sciatica symptoms (i.e. no pain in the butt or hamstrings). Has anyone seen or heard of any symptoms like these?

Any advice as to how to treat this would also be greatly appreciated.

If this doesn't make sense, or you want some more description, feel free to email me at tj_desantis@yahoo.com or post a question here.

Thanks,
T.J.

Re: Is it TTS, PF, or sciatica?

TJ DeSantis on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046452)

Ooops. I forgot to add the following request...

Anyone know of any good podiatrists in Manhattan or Hoboken, NJ?

Thanks again,
T.J.

wendyn on 5/02/01 at 22:52 (046453)

Hi TJ and welcome! Hard to say what's happening with your feet. First and VERY foremost - you HAVE to see a doctor.

There are a whole host of conditions that can cause foot pain - everything from diabetes, low thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis - you name it. Often systemic problems show up in the feet first.

My non-medical guess is that it could be a piriformis (sp?) syndrome - at least in your butt - I've had sciatica and my experience is that my legs really hurt. I'm guessing that if you can do things like play lacrosse without increase pain - it's not likely TTS.

You also could have a lower back problem from your injury - again, important to get a medical opinion.

Will you do that and then let us know what you find out?

I'd be very interested to hear!

Sorry - reread your post and saw that you saw a pod. Pod's deal with feet - how about a sports med doctor or an orthepedic surgeon just for a different view point?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/03/01 at 00:17 (046455)

I still would not rule out PF, but you should be evaluated for TTS or stress fracture. I do know a podiatrist in Manhattan, Dr. Alan Rosen, he's a great guy. You probably do not have sciatica, that usually radiates from the back down to the feet.

TJ DeSantis on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046452)

Ooops. I forgot to add the following request...

Anyone know of any good podiatrists in Manhattan or Hoboken, NJ?

Thanks again,
T.J.

wendyn on 5/02/01 at 22:52 (046453)

Hi TJ and welcome! Hard to say what's happening with your feet. First and VERY foremost - you HAVE to see a doctor.

There are a whole host of conditions that can cause foot pain - everything from diabetes, low thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis - you name it. Often systemic problems show up in the feet first.

My non-medical guess is that it could be a piriformis (sp?) syndrome - at least in your butt - I've had sciatica and my experience is that my legs really hurt. I'm guessing that if you can do things like play lacrosse without increase pain - it's not likely TTS.

You also could have a lower back problem from your injury - again, important to get a medical opinion.

Will you do that and then let us know what you find out?

I'd be very interested to hear!

Sorry - reread your post and saw that you saw a pod. Pod's deal with feet - how about a sports med doctor or an orthepedic surgeon just for a different view point?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/03/01 at 00:17 (046455)

I still would not rule out PF, but you should be evaluated for TTS or stress fracture. I do know a podiatrist in Manhattan, Dr. Alan Rosen, he's a great guy. You probably do not have sciatica, that usually radiates from the back down to the feet.