Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What nerve or branch of nerve is entrapped?

Posted by Matt L on 5/03/01 at 11:25 (046487)

I had a tarsal tunnel release in 1996 that was successful for awhile. It is speculated that scar tissue has formed and is presently compressing my nerve causing pain on the OUTside portion of the sole of my right foot-in front of the heel up to the 4th and 5th toes. Before the 1996 surgery my pain was more over the middle and inside of the sole of my right foot.

Can it be deduced from this information where exactly the entrapment is at? (high or low on the ankle?)I know the posterior tibial nerve is suppose to have 3 branches. Knowing where the problem is would be helpful in therapy- i.e- knowing where to concentrate massage, ultasound etc.

Re: What nerve or branch of nerve is entrapped?

Dr. Biehler on 5/03/01 at 11:44 (046490)

The tibial nerve splits as it leaves the tarsal tunnel, deviding into the medial and lateral plantar nerve. The medial brach splits again at about the middle of the arch. You also get a branch called the infracalcaneal nerve going to the plantar lateral side of the heel that comes off the lateral plantar nerve. Dr. B..

Matt L on 5/03/01 at 12:28 (046494)

It sounds like you're suggesting that my entrapment is at either the lateral plantar nerve or the infracalcaneal branch of the lateral plantar nerve. If so 1) is this unusual and 2) where should I direct physical therapy (for some reason I've been led to believe that the entrapment is probably relatively high up the ankle)?

Dr. Biehler on 5/04/01 at 14:48 (046620)

If the entrapment is high up the ankle you proably would be feeling the same sensations on the medial side of your foot. Dr.B.

Dr. Biehler on 5/03/01 at 11:44 (046490)

The tibial nerve splits as it leaves the tarsal tunnel, deviding into the medial and lateral plantar nerve. The medial brach splits again at about the middle of the arch. You also get a branch called the infracalcaneal nerve going to the plantar lateral side of the heel that comes off the lateral plantar nerve. Dr. B..

Matt L on 5/03/01 at 12:28 (046494)

It sounds like you're suggesting that my entrapment is at either the lateral plantar nerve or the infracalcaneal branch of the lateral plantar nerve. If so 1) is this unusual and 2) where should I direct physical therapy (for some reason I've been led to believe that the entrapment is probably relatively high up the ankle)?

Dr. Biehler on 5/04/01 at 14:48 (046620)

If the entrapment is high up the ankle you proably would be feeling the same sensations on the medial side of your foot. Dr.B.