Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Big toe pain?

Posted by Donna B. on 5/03/01 at 14:10 (046511)

Hi, I have in my left foot and recently I have been experiencing what feels like nerve pain in my big toe ( on top of the toe ).The ball of my foot has also been bothering me. Is there any condition that involve the nerves on top of your foot, sometimes the pain shoots up towards my ankle from my big toe? Donna

Re: Asking Dr. Z, my big toe is irritated also

Sherrie M. on 5/03/01 at 14:36 (046514)

Hi Donna, I have been doing stretches for pf since having ESWT, just today my big toe started really feeling sore-I was thinking it had something to do with stretching and my ankle and achilles hurting? It will be interesting to hear a response. Sherrie M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 16:23 (046521)

Hi, Sherrie,

It is possible that the stretching can aggravate the big toe joint. So start the stretching for a few days. Then start up slow again

Re: Big toe pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 16:24 (046522)

Could be tendonitis of the extensor tendons. These run from the leg pass the top of the ankle down toward the toes.

niels l on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046851)

It could be hallux limitus ( arthrisis in the big toe joints)

It is easily diagnosed by a doctor, as the ability to bent the toe up is limited.

Hallux limitus is causing extra stress on the plantar and cosenquently contributes to pf.

Many pf sufferes , including me, also have hallux limitus. To know more you can perform a search using the word 'hallux'

Niels

Rob H. on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049807)

What about pain down deep in the crease between the nail and the flesh on the outside (i.e. the side toward the center of your body) of the big toe? This is a burning sensation--feels almost like you poured hot pepper sauce into a cut. And it doesn't feel like it's in the bone or the joint, per se.

Please e-mail any comments. Thank you.

/s/ Rob H.

Rob H. on 6/05/01 at 15:43 (049998)

It doesn't look like my e-mail address was properly registered by this site, so please post answers to my question in the previous post here. Thank you, and I hope to get some feedback.

/s/ Rob H.

Sherrie M. on 5/03/01 at 14:36 (046514)

Hi Donna, I have been doing stretches for pf since having ESWT, just today my big toe started really feeling sore-I was thinking it had something to do with stretching and my ankle and achilles hurting? It will be interesting to hear a response. Sherrie M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 16:23 (046521)

Hi, Sherrie,

It is possible that the stretching can aggravate the big toe joint. So start the stretching for a few days. Then start up slow again

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 16:24 (046522)

Could be tendonitis of the extensor tendons. These run from the leg pass the top of the ankle down toward the toes.

niels l on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046851)

It could be hallux limitus ( arthrisis in the big toe joints)

It is easily diagnosed by a doctor, as the ability to bent the toe up is limited.

Hallux limitus is causing extra stress on the plantar and cosenquently contributes to pf.

Many pf sufferes , including me, also have hallux limitus. To know more you can perform a search using the word 'hallux'

Niels

Rob H. on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049807)

What about pain down deep in the crease between the nail and the flesh on the outside (i.e. the side toward the center of your body) of the big toe? This is a burning sensation--feels almost like you poured hot pepper sauce into a cut. And it doesn't feel like it's in the bone or the joint, per se.

Please e-mail any comments. Thank you.

/s/ Rob H.

Rob H. on 6/05/01 at 15:43 (049998)

It doesn't look like my e-mail address was properly registered by this site, so please post answers to my question in the previous post here. Thank you, and I hope to get some feedback.

/s/ Rob H.