Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

? 4 Dr Z or anyone with same experience

Posted by linda h on 5/03/01 at 19:04 (046536)

I am now 2 weeks post op. Open PF release and nerve entrapment release around ankle. I have 2 questions. 1) My foot is numb at the bottom of my incision where the PF was released. Is this normal? 2) I have mentioned this before but am wondering what the rationale is for both. I am not allowed to put weight on my foot for 4 more weeks. Some of you have been weight bearing since surgery. Just wondering what's the difference. What is the reason for not putting weight on for so long??
Thanks for answering! You have all been a great support for me. linda

Re: ? 4 Dr Z or anyone with same experience

Dr. Z on 5/03/01 at 19:22 (046540)

Your incision is about 6-8 incision long on the inside of the foot and around the inside of the ankle. There are deep sutures in and around the ankle. These are under the skin sutures which are probaby out by now or ready to be taken out

Not placing weight on this area will prevent alot of swelling and prevent the deep sutures from breaking. You had alot of foot surgery, Your foot and ankle deserve the non-weightbearing vacation. Alot of swelling leads to scar tissue

P.Ann on 5/03/01 at 20:08 (046543)

Linda, my surgery was very similar to yours. I too was told NO weight for 3-4 weeks. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Your foot probably took months if not years to develop these problems, give it a few weeks to heal all of the damage. As long as you can afford the time off of work, REST your poor foot. Mine is coming along'inch by inch' they (Dr.& Pt)tell me. I finally decided to stop fighting it, rest ice and just forget that I am off of work, they will survive without me. I work at the local High School and from what I hear... they are glad I'm gone!!!
Best wishes to you, stock up on some reading material get a bunch of ice packs or frozen veggies and relax your foot.
P.Ann
ps.As for the numbness, they told me that was a normal part of the healing process.

Re: How nice someone finally tells about why swelling is bad !!!Thanks Dr. Z

Tammie on 5/03/01 at 20:49 (046547)

They think we should know this to I did not know that ! So again I learned something from friends instead of my Dr. lol.Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 21:04 (046551)

There is always going to be some normal swelling but it should and needs to be kept to a miminium

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 21:05 (046552)

Very common to have numbness after TTS and or PF surgery

Re: ? 4 Dr Z or anyone with same experience/ again some simple but useful information

Tammie on 5/04/01 at 07:49 (046566)

Why dont Dr.s just tell patients this just simple words? The last 2 posts u have made gave me more knowledge then a darn long conversation or office visit with medical jargon that me the simple mind does not hear or understand! Thank u again as I look foward to thease simple knowledgable answers!!! Sorry to varge in on your conversation string here but wanted u to know I have found it helpful to myself! Thanks a million!

john h on 5/11/01 at 12:14 (047478)

when i had a tarsal tunnel release and pf surgery the swelling was with me off and on for a couple of months. any numbness subsided with time as the nerve fibers grew back together or regenerate (which ever is what happens).

Debbie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048789)

Dr. Z,
How long is this numbness suposed to last. I had my surgery on Jan.19thI had my left foot done. The incision is on the right. The left side of my foot is still numb is this normal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/26/01 at 11:01 (048963)

I had a little trouble with this thread. Ok. Numbness in and near the surgical site up to one year. Not sure why you are have numbness in other areas outside of the surgical ares. If we are talking about TTS surgery then the numbness will be on the side and bottom of the foot for six months to one year

Dr. Z on 5/03/01 at 19:22 (046540)

Your incision is about 6-8 incision long on the inside of the foot and around the inside of the ankle. There are deep sutures in and around the ankle. These are under the skin sutures which are probaby out by now or ready to be taken out

Not placing weight on this area will prevent alot of swelling and prevent the deep sutures from breaking. You had alot of foot surgery, Your foot and ankle deserve the non-weightbearing vacation. Alot of swelling leads to scar tissue

P.Ann on 5/03/01 at 20:08 (046543)

Linda, my surgery was very similar to yours. I too was told NO weight for 3-4 weeks. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Your foot probably took months if not years to develop these problems, give it a few weeks to heal all of the damage. As long as you can afford the time off of work, REST your poor foot. Mine is coming along'inch by inch' they (Dr.& Pt)tell me. I finally decided to stop fighting it, rest ice and just forget that I am off of work, they will survive without me. I work at the local High School and from what I hear... they are glad I'm gone!!!
Best wishes to you, stock up on some reading material get a bunch of ice packs or frozen veggies and relax your foot.
P.Ann
ps.As for the numbness, they told me that was a normal part of the healing process.

Tammie on 5/03/01 at 20:49 (046547)

They think we should know this to I did not know that ! So again I learned something from friends instead of my Dr. lol.Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 21:04 (046551)

There is always going to be some normal swelling but it should and needs to be kept to a miminium

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/01 at 21:05 (046552)

Very common to have numbness after TTS and or PF surgery

Re: ? 4 Dr Z or anyone with same experience/ again some simple but useful information

Tammie on 5/04/01 at 07:49 (046566)

Why dont Dr.s just tell patients this just simple words? The last 2 posts u have made gave me more knowledge then a darn long conversation or office visit with medical jargon that me the simple mind does not hear or understand! Thank u again as I look foward to thease simple knowledgable answers!!! Sorry to varge in on your conversation string here but wanted u to know I have found it helpful to myself! Thanks a million!

john h on 5/11/01 at 12:14 (047478)

when i had a tarsal tunnel release and pf surgery the swelling was with me off and on for a couple of months. any numbness subsided with time as the nerve fibers grew back together or regenerate (which ever is what happens).

Debbie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048789)

Dr. Z,
How long is this numbness suposed to last. I had my surgery on Jan.19thI had my left foot done. The incision is on the right. The left side of my foot is still numb is this normal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/26/01 at 11:01 (048963)

I had a little trouble with this thread. Ok. Numbness in and near the surgical site up to one year. Not sure why you are have numbness in other areas outside of the surgical ares. If we are talking about TTS surgery then the numbness will be on the side and bottom of the foot for six months to one year