Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

9 days post-op

Posted by Janet D. on 5/03/01 at 22:08 (046556)

I guess my previous posts and replies got lost, but anyway, to refresh everyones memory, I had surgery last Tuesday. During the first 5 days, I had some pain, but it certainly wasn't too bad and I thought - wow- my foot seems alot better. Unfortunately, since days 6 to the present, I have a tremdous amount of pain. It's worse that it was *before* surgery. I can barely walk. I'm using a crutch some of the time, and I'm elevating, icing, and resting. I saw the doctor this morning and he took one of the stitches out to see if that would help. It didn't. He re-wrapped the foot again and told me to take some Aleve. What I don't understand is, why does it hurt so much more now than during my first 5 days post-op? It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's going to be a long road to recovery. I may as well kiss the summer goodbye because it's obvious I won't be doing anything except resting. Makes me wonder if I should've had the surgery. I'm grateful to this message board because at least I can see that I'm not alone. Thanks to everyone. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Re: 9 days post-op

carol on 5/04/01 at 02:29 (046563)

Janet D - I certainly sympathise with you about the pain. Mine was the same. Apparently the swelling of the foot causes the nerve to be compressed and that is why post op it seem to get worse. You must keep the swelling down as much as possible and you must elevate your foot all the time as high as possible. I am amzed you are already getting around - I was given 2 weeks complete bed rest with cast and elevation in the beginning. Do hope things improve. Carol

john h on 5/04/01 at 10:47 (046588)

janet you are probably moving around more since the first 5 days which could cause swelling,etc. it is going to take 6 months to a year in most cases to achieve what ever level of relief is going to come after your surgery. do not panic yet! be nice to your feet for the next few months.good luck.

BrianG on 5/04/01 at 11:05 (046593)

Hi Janet,

Is the Aleve working for your 'tremedous amounts of pain'? Don't be afraid to ask for something stronger. Most compassionate doctoers will prescribe Percoset or Vocodan. Don't worry about addiction for short tern use. Hope your feeling better.

BCG

Janet D. on 5/04/01 at 21:03 (046646)

Thanks to all who replied. At least I know that I am not alone in this. You are right in saying that I'm doing too much too soon. If possible, I'll stay off my feet as much as possible over the weekend and see if the pain improves a bit. It's discouraging to hear that it might take 6 months to a year for full relief. I guess I keep forgetting that this was surgery I had. Somehow I considered it to be a minor operation - boy, was I wrong! I'm still icing and elevating, but probably not enough. Will do more this weekend. As for the Aleve - it's not doing anything for me so I think it's time to go back to the percocet again. I think I should have waited until the fall to have this done because there is too much to do in the summer months. Oh well, can't change it now, so will have to live with my decision. Thanks again.

carol on 5/04/01 at 02:29 (046563)

Janet D - I certainly sympathise with you about the pain. Mine was the same. Apparently the swelling of the foot causes the nerve to be compressed and that is why post op it seem to get worse. You must keep the swelling down as much as possible and you must elevate your foot all the time as high as possible. I am amzed you are already getting around - I was given 2 weeks complete bed rest with cast and elevation in the beginning. Do hope things improve. Carol

john h on 5/04/01 at 10:47 (046588)

janet you are probably moving around more since the first 5 days which could cause swelling,etc. it is going to take 6 months to a year in most cases to achieve what ever level of relief is going to come after your surgery. do not panic yet! be nice to your feet for the next few months.good luck.

BrianG on 5/04/01 at 11:05 (046593)

Hi Janet,

Is the Aleve working for your 'tremedous amounts of pain'? Don't be afraid to ask for something stronger. Most compassionate doctoers will prescribe Percoset or Vocodan. Don't worry about addiction for short tern use. Hope your feeling better.

BCG

Janet D. on 5/04/01 at 21:03 (046646)

Thanks to all who replied. At least I know that I am not alone in this. You are right in saying that I'm doing too much too soon. If possible, I'll stay off my feet as much as possible over the weekend and see if the pain improves a bit. It's discouraging to hear that it might take 6 months to a year for full relief. I guess I keep forgetting that this was surgery I had. Somehow I considered it to be a minor operation - boy, was I wrong! I'm still icing and elevating, but probably not enough. Will do more this weekend. As for the Aleve - it's not doing anything for me so I think it's time to go back to the percocet again. I think I should have waited until the fall to have this done because there is too much to do in the summer months. Oh well, can't change it now, so will have to live with my decision. Thanks again.