Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis and the use of "Phenylbutazone"?

Posted by Laura C on 5/04/01 at 13:25 (046611)

My husband was diaganoses with Plantar Fasciitis yesterday. The doctor put a shot of cortizone, xylocaine in his heal and gave his the support sole to wear in his shoe, exercise, soaking foot in ice water, etc... Said to return in 2 weeks then he would start on a prescription of Phenylbutazone to be taken until gone. Then he is suppose to start on Feledene. There are only a few drug stores to buy the Phenylbutazone. I was told that this is because they have to make it there. My mother says it is a discontinued medicine, she used to work in a hospital pharmacy. I can't find any information on the net about the medicine or why it is discontinued. I am desparate to find out more about it before he takes it. He is a daily beer drinker. Is there someone out there who can help? Or can tell me where to go for information on this drug? Thanks a bunch!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and the use of "Phenylbutazone"?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/04/01 at 14:52 (046621)

Wow,

I used this medications years ago . Was a great drug. It is used in race horses. It was my understanding that it was recalled due to the toxic side effects. Doctors were using the medication past the seven day recommended direction.

Very tough on the stomach. Alot of GI upset. This is the best NSAID ever made if used correctly I still remember the dosage that I used. Two 100 capsules three times daily for two days only. Now I wouldn't use my instructions because I have no idea what strenght you are getting. Becareful and don't take past the time frame you are told.

Julie on 5/07/01 at 05:47 (046856)

Wasn't this the drug that controlled the race horses' pain so effectively that they ran happily on injured legs and broke them and had to be shot?

Pain is a useful, necessary, essential message. Beware the false security given by any drug that kills it!

DR. Zuckerman on 5/07/01 at 19:14 (046967)

That is the same drug that was banned in some states in Horse Racing. I believe there is restrictions in New York State. This was a very good drug if it was used correctly by a doctor that knew its limitations . In my practice it did replace the use of any local steriod injections. Two days of use seen to be the right amount of drug. Really patients would come for mils to see the Dr. Z who didn't have to get the painful steriod shots. This wasn't my invention I was by one of my old time mentor

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/04/01 at 14:52 (046621)

Wow,

I used this medications years ago . Was a great drug. It is used in race horses. It was my understanding that it was recalled due to the toxic side effects. Doctors were using the medication past the seven day recommended direction.

Very tough on the stomach. Alot of GI upset. This is the best NSAID ever made if used correctly I still remember the dosage that I used. Two 100 capsules three times daily for two days only. Now I wouldn't use my instructions because I have no idea what strenght you are getting. Becareful and don't take past the time frame you are told.

Julie on 5/07/01 at 05:47 (046856)

Wasn't this the drug that controlled the race horses' pain so effectively that they ran happily on injured legs and broke them and had to be shot?

Pain is a useful, necessary, essential message. Beware the false security given by any drug that kills it!

DR. Zuckerman on 5/07/01 at 19:14 (046967)

That is the same drug that was banned in some states in Horse Racing. I believe there is restrictions in New York State. This was a very good drug if it was used correctly by a doctor that knew its limitations . In my practice it did replace the use of any local steriod injections. Two days of use seen to be the right amount of drug. Really patients would come for mils to see the Dr. Z who didn't have to get the painful steriod shots. This wasn't my invention I was by one of my old time mentor