Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOOT PAIN AND THE SPINE

Posted by DENNIS B. on 5/04/01 at 13:50 (046614)

I HAD A TTS RELEASE ON MY RIGHT FOOT ON FEB. 07. PRIOR TO THAT I HAD A CT SCAN OF THE LOWER BACK, MRI OF THE RIGHT FOOT AND AN EMG. THE EMG SHOWED TTS EXISTING IN BOTH FEET WITH THE RIGHT WORSE THAN THE LEFT AS WELL AS NEUROPATHY EXISTING IN BOTH FEET/LOWER LEGS. THE MRI WAS PERFORMED PRIOR TO THE EMG AND WAS NEGATIVE. THE CT SCAN OF THE LOWER SPINE SHOWED DISC BULGING AS WELL AS SPINAL STENOSIS PRIMARILY AT L4-L5. THE TTS RELEASE WAS ACCOMPANIED BY AN EPIDURAL INJECTION OF STEROIDS. THE TTS RELEASE AND EPIDURAL HAVE YET TO HELP. RECENTLY I WAS REFERRED TO A NEUROSURGEON FOR THE STENOSIS. HE SAYS THAT FOOR PAIN FROM THE STENOSIS (NARROWING OF THE CANAL IN THE SPINAL COLUMN THRU WHICH THE SPINAL CORD RUNS) IS A POSSIBILITY BUT IT GENERALLY RADIATES DOWN THRU THE BUTTOCKS, THRU THE LEGS AND THEN TO THE FEET. IN MY CASE I HAVE THE PAIN IN THE FEET AS WELL AS THE LOWER LEGS BUT NOT DOWN THE BUTTOCKS. HE HAS REFERRED ME TO PHYSICAL THERAPY AND I AM 2 WEEKS INTO THE 4 WEEK PROGRAM THAT HE RECOMMENDED. THEY DO SOME KIND OF AN ELECTRICAL 'SHOCKING' TYPE OF TREATMENT ALONG WITH HEAT AND A DEEP MASSAGE ALL ON THE LOWER SPINE. THAT HAS NOT MADE AN IMPACT AS OF YET. THEY ALSO HAVE TRIED A TRACTION TYPE OF THERAPY STARTING LAST WED. TO BASICALLY STRECTCH THE LOWER SPINE IN HOPES OF RELIEVING THE PRESSURE ON THE SPINAL CORD. IF THIS FAILS, THEN THE POSSIBILITY OF SPINAL SURGERY EXISTS WHEREBY THE 'UNCAP' THE SPINE BY REMOVING THE PART CLOSEST TO MY BACK, CLEANING IT AND OR ENLARGING IT AND THEN PUTTING IT BACK IN PLACE. DOES NOT SOUND LIKE FUN. THE THERAPIST SAYS HE WILL CONTACT THE NEURO SURGEON IN A WEEK IF THE TRACTION ALONG WITH THE OTHER THINGS DOES NOT HELP. I AM NOT ABLE TO WALK FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES (WITH THE HELP OF A CANE) BEFORE THE PAIN GETS UNBEARABLE. SAME IS TRUE OF SITTING FOR ABOUT AN HOUR TO AN HOUR AND A HALF. THE ONLY WAY I CAN THEN GET RELIEF IS BY RECLINING IN THE LAZY-BOY OR ELSE BY LYING DOWN. I TAKE ELAVIL PRIOR TO BEDTIME TO HELP EASE THE PAIN AND TO AFFORD ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO SLEEP. THIS CONDITION HAS EXISTED FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS AND I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY FOR SOLUTIONS FOR 2 YEARS THIS MONTH. I LIVE IN OUTSTATE NEBRASKA SO MY NEXT MOVE WILL BE TO SEEK ASSISTANCE FROM THE FOLKS IN LINCOLN OR OMAHA. NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF DR. TO LOOK FOR BUT AM AT THE POINT OF DESPERATION AS I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK FOR 2 YEARS COME JUNE 01. A RHEMATOLOGIST HERE IN TOWN HAS BEEN 'ORCHESTRATING' MY SITUATION HERE ON THE LOCAL LEVEL. AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON PERFORMED THE TTS RELEASE. AS A FOOTNOTE, I NEVER WAS REFERRED TO PT FOR THE TTS AND WHILE IN THERE FOR THE SPINAL STENOSIS THING, I ASKED THE THERAPISTS IF THEY EVER HAD TREATED TTS AND THEY SAID NO, THEY BASICALLY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SINCERELY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU FOR HEARING ME OUT.

Re: FOOT PAIN AND THE SPINE

Pat B on 5/04/01 at 19:18 (046641)

I too am having pain in both feet now. It started mostly with the left but now my right is beginning to bother me with heel and arch pain. I have had lower back problems as well. I have arthritis in my lower back and in the sciatic joint.

I have not had any surgeries as of yet exept 2 bone spurs removed from my left foot. I went through physical therapy for TTS for a month and the therapists here were not real familiar with TTS also. I truly believe they made it worse!! It may be different for you as all of us sufferers are the same but still so different.

My heart goes out to you and all your pain. I have had pain now for a year and it is getting worse. I am often afraid that I will be out of work soon and disabled. I hear so many bad things along with some good and have had no personal relief at this time. I think about the TTS surgery and have not opted for it yet because I am afraid of making the other foot worse hobbling around on crutches. I picture this a yo-yo of good foot/bad foot because of crutches and the pain of using one foot extensively. Is there a win/win solution?

Just out of curioustiy, are you collecting disability on this? I am afraid of being homeless with TTS. My job is demanding on my feet and it also hurts to sit with my feet directly on the floor so a sit down job is not always the best either. I too prefer kicking back and elevating my feet just to get them off the floor. I have never seen this position written in a job description yet!!!

Good luck to you and all others who read this.

DENNIS B. on 5/05/01 at 12:54 (046693)

NO, I AM NOT ON DISABILITY. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE SOCIAL SECURITY WEBSITE AND SEE NO MENTION OF TTS AS BEING AN ACCEPTED DISABLILITY. THE SPINAL STENOSIS IS. I HAVE NOT APPROACHED THE DR ABOUT THIS SUBJECT FOR FEAR OF BEING LABELED ' A LAZY BUM WITH A BAD BACK'. HOWEVER, FINANCIAL RESOURCES ONLY LAST SO LONG AND THEN SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE, ESPECIALLY NOW WITH THE SIGNIFICANT DROP IN INTEREST RATES FOR CD'S, THE DROP IN THE STOCK MARKET, RISES IN THE COST OF LIVING THAT ARE ENERGY RELATED, ETC. YOU'RE RIGHT, I DON'T KNOW OF A JOB THAT ALLOWS YOU TO LIE DOWN OR RECLINE WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT.

Pat B on 5/04/01 at 19:18 (046641)

I too am having pain in both feet now. It started mostly with the left but now my right is beginning to bother me with heel and arch pain. I have had lower back problems as well. I have arthritis in my lower back and in the sciatic joint.

I have not had any surgeries as of yet exept 2 bone spurs removed from my left foot. I went through physical therapy for TTS for a month and the therapists here were not real familiar with TTS also. I truly believe they made it worse!! It may be different for you as all of us sufferers are the same but still so different.

My heart goes out to you and all your pain. I have had pain now for a year and it is getting worse. I am often afraid that I will be out of work soon and disabled. I hear so many bad things along with some good and have had no personal relief at this time. I think about the TTS surgery and have not opted for it yet because I am afraid of making the other foot worse hobbling around on crutches. I picture this a yo-yo of good foot/bad foot because of crutches and the pain of using one foot extensively. Is there a win/win solution?

Just out of curioustiy, are you collecting disability on this? I am afraid of being homeless with TTS. My job is demanding on my feet and it also hurts to sit with my feet directly on the floor so a sit down job is not always the best either. I too prefer kicking back and elevating my feet just to get them off the floor. I have never seen this position written in a job description yet!!!

Good luck to you and all others who read this.

DENNIS B. on 5/05/01 at 12:54 (046693)

NO, I AM NOT ON DISABILITY. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE SOCIAL SECURITY WEBSITE AND SEE NO MENTION OF TTS AS BEING AN ACCEPTED DISABLILITY. THE SPINAL STENOSIS IS. I HAVE NOT APPROACHED THE DR ABOUT THIS SUBJECT FOR FEAR OF BEING LABELED ' A LAZY BUM WITH A BAD BACK'. HOWEVER, FINANCIAL RESOURCES ONLY LAST SO LONG AND THEN SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE, ESPECIALLY NOW WITH THE SIGNIFICANT DROP IN INTEREST RATES FOR CD'S, THE DROP IN THE STOCK MARKET, RISES IN THE COST OF LIVING THAT ARE ENERGY RELATED, ETC. YOU'RE RIGHT, I DON'T KNOW OF A JOB THAT ALLOWS YOU TO LIE DOWN OR RECLINE WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT.