Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS footwear

Posted by eileenc on 5/04/01 at 17:17 (046635)

I posted this earlier, but the board went down and I never saw an answer--forgive me for repeating.
After having a 'tarsal tunnel release' 3 1/2 years ago the pain and swelling has now moved down just below the incision, into my arch and partially under the heel( my Dr. made a 1 inch cut approximately 1 inch below the heel bone). Before the surgery I had orthotics made at the Cleveland Clinic which are excrutiating as they press into the arch. Orthopod there told me he did not believe in TTS and diagnosed PF though I had none of those symptoms. I had already been treated for PF and it was ruled out by local orthopods.
My question:about the only footwear I can tolerate are slipper like low-cut tennis shoes with over-the-counter soft inserts to cushion the force of walking. Suggestions on shoes and the possibility of soft orthotics which do not put as much pressure on the heel or cut into the arch?
Thank you for any suggestions because I have tried almost anything you can think of to alleviate the pain.

Re: TTS footwear

wendyn on 5/04/01 at 17:30 (046637)

Eileen - have you tried Birkenstock sandals?

eileenc on 5/05/01 at 08:43 (046679)

After I saw some of your posts on the TTs board, I tried some on. The arch does slightly press into my swollen area and my understanding is that with the cork footbed the shoes sort of conform to your foot eventually. Would that mean that the heel compresses down more with weight? I don't know. I do know that some were better feeling than others. Thank you.

wendyn on 5/04/01 at 17:30 (046637)

Eileen - have you tried Birkenstock sandals?

eileenc on 5/05/01 at 08:43 (046679)

After I saw some of your posts on the TTs board, I tried some on. The arch does slightly press into my swollen area and my understanding is that with the cork footbed the shoes sort of conform to your foot eventually. Would that mean that the heel compresses down more with weight? I don't know. I do know that some were better feeling than others. Thank you.