Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another question... hope you don't mind

Posted by linda h on 5/04/01 at 21:23 (046648)

Me again with another question. I was given percocet for pain after my surgery. I haven't taken any since 2 days after surgery because it knocks me out!! I slept all day for 2 days. I am now 2 weeks post op with a cam boot and I have had little to no sleep since I got the boot.. It is very difficult to get comfortable. I am having some pain at night but not too bad. For the last two night I have taken 1 percocet and slept so well!!!! My question is... Is the percocet something I could get addicted too?? I love getting a good night sleep for a change but don't know if I should continue to take the pill or not. Thanks! linda

Re: Another question... hope you don't mind

linda h on 5/05/01 at 08:28 (046677)

Forgot to ask about physical therapy. I will be off my foot for 6 weeks. The muscles in my lower leg are already shot!! Is there anything I can do to keep them tone til I can walk again? Also, when I can begin walking, about how long will it take to get back to normal? I know you can't say exactly but about how long?? Thanks! linda

BrianG on 5/05/01 at 20:57 (046735)

Hi Linda,

You'll be happy to know that less than 1% of the people who take narcotics for pain become addictied. The amount your taking is very small and you have virtually nothing to worry about. It's all quite complicated, but addiction has to do with pain receptors in your brain.. The receptors will determine how the brain uses the meds.

When someone is not in pain, and they take the meds, they tend to get high. When a person in pain takes the same meds, the receptors in the brain use the med to control the pain, and the patient very rarely gets a high. I take pain meds and I do not crave them. I simply realize it's another pill I have to take to help control my pain. I've never gotten a high, just pain relief.

In your case you could probaly go a couple months at your same dose with absolutely no problems when you stop. If you go to a higher dose, or stay on them for more than a couple of months, you may have to slowly cut back. It's really painless when done correctly. I'm glad you brought this up, as there is so much misinformation out there.

Please take what your doctor feels will help you, there is no need to suffer in this day and age. Any other questions, I'll be glad to help you find the answers. Good luck.

BCG

linda h on 5/05/01 at 08:28 (046677)

Forgot to ask about physical therapy. I will be off my foot for 6 weeks. The muscles in my lower leg are already shot!! Is there anything I can do to keep them tone til I can walk again? Also, when I can begin walking, about how long will it take to get back to normal? I know you can't say exactly but about how long?? Thanks! linda

BrianG on 5/05/01 at 20:57 (046735)

Hi Linda,

You'll be happy to know that less than 1% of the people who take narcotics for pain become addictied. The amount your taking is very small and you have virtually nothing to worry about. It's all quite complicated, but addiction has to do with pain receptors in your brain.. The receptors will determine how the brain uses the meds.

When someone is not in pain, and they take the meds, they tend to get high. When a person in pain takes the same meds, the receptors in the brain use the med to control the pain, and the patient very rarely gets a high. I take pain meds and I do not crave them. I simply realize it's another pill I have to take to help control my pain. I've never gotten a high, just pain relief.

In your case you could probaly go a couple months at your same dose with absolutely no problems when you stop. If you go to a higher dose, or stay on them for more than a couple of months, you may have to slowly cut back. It's really painless when done correctly. I'm glad you brought this up, as there is so much misinformation out there.

Please take what your doctor feels will help you, there is no need to suffer in this day and age. Any other questions, I'll be glad to help you find the answers. Good luck.

BCG