Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cleaning your incision post Op

Posted by Kevin M on 5/04/01 at hrmin (046656)

Is it ok to wash over where the incision was made? Its beed 8 days since the operation and I have a wire stitch. My foot is pretty nasty from the ace bandage and everything. I wash most of the foot, just not over where he cut. Is it ok to do that to keep it clean? Thanks

Re: Cleaning your incision post Op

Susan U on 5/05/01 at 12:06 (046691)

Hi Kevin. My incision was nasty too, so I did wash it with soap and water. The Dr. said that was ok, but try to keep it dry so it will heel. I had my stitches out 10 days ago. The incision opened up quite a bit and it oozes, but I guess that's normal. I keep it open to the air as much as possible, and put a gauze pad on at night. Seems to be doing better the last 2 days. Good Luck.

BrianG on 5/05/01 at 20:34 (046732)

Hi Kevin.

Stay in touch with your doc. If you have to talk to him a couple times a week, do it. Not all patients will heal perfectly. The doc's expect some calls, don't feel bad about calling them. Good luck

BCG

john h on 5/11/01 at 12:15 (047479)

when i had my foot surgery i did not wash the foot untile the stitches were removed (10 days).

Susan U on 5/05/01 at 12:06 (046691)

Hi Kevin. My incision was nasty too, so I did wash it with soap and water. The Dr. said that was ok, but try to keep it dry so it will heel. I had my stitches out 10 days ago. The incision opened up quite a bit and it oozes, but I guess that's normal. I keep it open to the air as much as possible, and put a gauze pad on at night. Seems to be doing better the last 2 days. Good Luck.

BrianG on 5/05/01 at 20:34 (046732)

Hi Kevin.

Stay in touch with your doc. If you have to talk to him a couple times a week, do it. Not all patients will heal perfectly. The doc's expect some calls, don't feel bad about calling them. Good luck

BCG

john h on 5/11/01 at 12:15 (047479)

when i had my foot surgery i did not wash the foot untile the stitches were removed (10 days).