Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia and weight-lifting

Posted by Sandy B on 5/05/01 at hrmin (046696)

I have heel pain that, after reading the info here, I'm nearly certain is Plantar Fascia. I'm a runner and figure a number of things entered into it: Running four miles daily and without fail, wearing cross-trainers instead of running shoes on a recent vacation AND running steep hills during that same vacation. I also, though, use weight machines and do both leg presses and calf raises with quite a bit of weight. I'm wondering if the calf raises, in particular, are good or bad for me at this point. I know calf flexibility is important, but I'm not sure that strengthening the muscle promotes flexibility or not.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Re: Plantar Fascia and weight-lifting

Julie on 5/05/01 at 16:18 (046700)

Hi Sandy

Welcome to the board. I would advise you to get yourself to a foot doctor for a biomechanical evaluation and a proper diagnosis. Don't self-diagnose. You're probably right, but you still need professional input. For now, you really need to stop running. I'd also be inclined to say that you ought to stop the weights: from your description I would guess that you're building strong, short-fibre muscle which is probably decreasing your flexibility (unless you are doing a lot of stretching to compensate). But until you've seen a doctor and got your treatment plan in place, go easy with everything. If you do have plantar fasciitis, anything you do now to strain the fascia will only delay your healing.

DON'T be tempted to run, or exercise, through the pain. PF is an injury and whatever hurts is re-injuring it. Read the heel pain book for information and ideas about dealing with it, and take time to read the messages on the board. Everyone here has 'been through it' and you'll find a great deal of help, ideas, and support.

All the best, Julie

Re: The British have some of the best doctors

Dr.Zuckerman on 5/05/01 at 18:01 (046713)

Now I know why they say that in England some of the best doctors are there. Julie is always right on target with her recommendations. She has alot of experience and common sense with plantar fasciitis pain. Listen to her advice

Mitch B on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046875)

Sandy I have a similar situation. I was running and doing leg presses and other leg weights. Tell me if you have found anything out. Thanks

Jason M on 5/09/01 at hrmin (047148)

Sandy, When I first got PF a couple of years ago, I worked out everyday. After I noticed the pain in my heel I continued to do my leg presses and calf raises despite the discomfort, but I regret it. I think the exercises made my condition worse and increased the inflammation. Especially the calf raises. If I could go back in time there is no way I would do these exercises until I could do them COMPLETELY pain free. I thought strengthening my calf muscles would help my condition, but I was obviously wrong. i think it was just putting more unnecessary strain on my PF and calves when what I really needed was rest, stretching, and ice.

Julie on 5/05/01 at 16:18 (046700)

Hi Sandy

Welcome to the board. I would advise you to get yourself to a foot doctor for a biomechanical evaluation and a proper diagnosis. Don't self-diagnose. You're probably right, but you still need professional input. For now, you really need to stop running. I'd also be inclined to say that you ought to stop the weights: from your description I would guess that you're building strong, short-fibre muscle which is probably decreasing your flexibility (unless you are doing a lot of stretching to compensate). But until you've seen a doctor and got your treatment plan in place, go easy with everything. If you do have plantar fasciitis, anything you do now to strain the fascia will only delay your healing.

DON'T be tempted to run, or exercise, through the pain. PF is an injury and whatever hurts is re-injuring it. Read the heel pain book for information and ideas about dealing with it, and take time to read the messages on the board. Everyone here has 'been through it' and you'll find a great deal of help, ideas, and support.

All the best, Julie

Re: The British have some of the best doctors

Dr.Zuckerman on 5/05/01 at 18:01 (046713)

Now I know why they say that in England some of the best doctors are there. Julie is always right on target with her recommendations. She has alot of experience and common sense with plantar fasciitis pain. Listen to her advice

Mitch B on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046875)

Sandy I have a similar situation. I was running and doing leg presses and other leg weights. Tell me if you have found anything out. Thanks

Jason M on 5/09/01 at hrmin (047148)

Sandy, When I first got PF a couple of years ago, I worked out everyday. After I noticed the pain in my heel I continued to do my leg presses and calf raises despite the discomfort, but I regret it. I think the exercises made my condition worse and increased the inflammation. Especially the calf raises. If I could go back in time there is no way I would do these exercises until I could do them COMPLETELY pain free. I thought strengthening my calf muscles would help my condition, but I was obviously wrong. i think it was just putting more unnecessary strain on my PF and calves when what I really needed was rest, stretching, and ice.