Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot and extreme leg pain

Posted by Pam R. on 5/05/01 at 15:09 (046698)

Hi, I would say that my surgery was a success. I only have minor discomfort from time to time. I purchased a pair of Reebok DMX about a week ago and since then my leg pain has become servere by the time dinner rolls around. I had PF in both feet , but only my left foot was operated on since the other one is improving. When I wear my sandles, I don't have this servere pain in my legs. I even wake up with it. Is my problem the DMX or is it because I'm not use to the added arch support. I'm not talking a little pain here--I'm talking BIG TIME PAIN in my legs. Of course if you remember , I also suffer from Fibromyalgia and I do take Ultram and Klonopin, but it didn't start until after I purchased the sneakers. I need some advise, please. I'll return the sneakers or only wear Burks if necessary. Right now the only pair of shoes I can wear are Easy Spirit Sandles (anti-gravity)...What do you think??? ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Re: Foot and extreme leg pain

Janet D. on 5/05/01 at 20:26 (046731)

Hi Pam, I don't have any answers to your questions, but I have fibromyalgia too, and had heel surgery 10 days ago. I'm not doing very good and am wondering if the fibromyalgia is one of the reasons why I'm hurting so much. I was wondering if you'd like to send private email to each other so we can share notes about fibromyalgia. Let me know. Thanks.

BrianG on 5/05/01 at 20:40 (046733)

Oh no Happy Feet, now it's time to take care of your legs. Have you thought about small amounts of pain meds? Just to take the edge off and get some sleep. Kim is doing well on them. They are not for everyone, but when I hear the words 'big time pain' I think you could be a candidate. If you need any pointers, I'll be glad to help you. Get well soon.

BCG

Pam R. on 5/05/01 at hrmin (046740)

Janet, Please e-mail me . I'd love to hear from you. Maybe we can help each other. FMS is a strange Malady. So when you have foot surgery, you can't tell if the surgery, the shoes or the FM causing the problems. I wish it would all just go away. ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Pam R. on 5/05/01 at 22:22 (046742)

Hi Brian, My feet are still happy ,it's my legs that are not. I am on Ultram ,which is a pain medication I take for Fibromyalgia. I only take 2 pills each day--I'm allowed up to 6 but I have tapered down on all meds. I was hoping to come off them altogether. But now it doesn't look like that is going to be possible --at least not right away. I stayed off my feet all day today and only walked when I had to...so far ..so good...but the idea of all this was to be on my feet and walking with no pain. If I'm on my feet more than 2 hours--that's all she wrote for me that day. I can't tell if it's my FM flairing or a complication from surgery (which seems unlikely, since I only had one foot done.) I was thinking maybe it was the shoes?????? I just don't know! I also take Klonopin for Restless Leg Syndrome.....Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

bg cped on 5/06/01 at 08:33 (046757)

If you bought the reebok dmx that is all white or almost all white and you can see the 'air bubbles' under the heel. If you can compress it with your thumb it is a bad shoe. If you pronate a little or a lot, and have a bit of valgus or inward tilt to your knees, GET RID OF THEM. In my opinion that shoe is one of the biggest load of huey ever to be marketed, that along with the Easy Spirit ads that showed a ladiy twisting a shoe like a pretzel to demonstrate how wonderful they are.

The problem is they are very unstable, they do not give much support, yes they are squishy and soft but that is not a good quality to have in a shoe. Plus they leak soon after you buy them, go to a hospital and you will hear several nurses that have a shoe that squeeks. They will be wearing all white reebok DMX

I cant count how pany pt we see with PF or other symptoms. They say 'oh it cant be the shoes, these were expensive reebok with the air in them' There was a study done recently regarding shoes with air in the heel, had a 3 times more likely chance og ankle sprains in athletes..that is from lack of stability

I know they were probably not cheap, but I think you have it figured out already

Pam R. on 5/06/01 at 08:50 (046760)

What shoe do you recommend? I have a list from my Pod. Maybe it is a trial and error kind of thing to find the right shoe. All I know is that I suffered no leg pain yesterday because I did not put them on. As I said the only shoe I have is a sandle Easy Spirit. I haven't bought anything because I'm at a lost of what to buy. How are the Birks? I know it takes time to break them in ,but I've heard alot of good things about them. How about SAS--they are also on the list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

BrianG on 5/06/01 at 11:58 (046782)

Hi Pam,

Neither the Ultram, or the Klonopin, are what I'd call real pain meds. Ask your doc for either Vicodan, Percodan or Percocet. All three can be taken whole, or split in half if you feel they are too strong. These are meds that are specificly made for pain control. You can't beat them for short term, acute, pain control (up to a month or so). Ask your doc about them if your leg pain persists. Good luck.

BCG

wendyn on 5/06/01 at 13:25 (046791)

All the nurses and doctors I see wear Birk clogs/shoes

Pam R. on 5/07/01 at 09:05 (046870)

Thanks Brian--will do! I also have Fibromas on the sheath of my tendons in my feet and now have noticed them on the tendons on the back of the knees. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. One seems to growing and it is the size of a marble. Maybe that is where all this pain is coming from. If you know any thing about Fibromyalgia--just about anything could happen....but that's another story. Happy Feet (still smiling) ((Soft Hugs)) Pam P.S. Also have Duprutren's Contracture (Spelling?) Top of the Morning to you and all!

Diana on 5/07/01 at 21:22 (046975)

I also bought a pair of the Reebock DMX shoes and have never been able to wear them very long. I mostly wear Easy Spirits with Dr. Scholl's inserts. Does anyone else have trouble we?ring socks? I mean the nice fluffy Thor-lo type socks. I can feel the threads and they make my feet hurt more. Turning them inside out helps some.

bg cped on 5/08/01 at 23:38 (047111)

If you have fibromas on the foot that large have your orthotic person put some lipstck on the fibroma and step on the orthotic. They can grind a relief or pad around it, they can be painful. also have them flex your big toe upward to make the tendon and the fibroma more visible and mark it with lipstick about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in front of and behind it. If they put a little groove and a relief under it it should feel much better.

Janet D. on 5/05/01 at 20:26 (046731)

Hi Pam, I don't have any answers to your questions, but I have fibromyalgia too, and had heel surgery 10 days ago. I'm not doing very good and am wondering if the fibromyalgia is one of the reasons why I'm hurting so much. I was wondering if you'd like to send private email to each other so we can share notes about fibromyalgia. Let me know. Thanks.

BrianG on 5/05/01 at 20:40 (046733)

Oh no Happy Feet, now it's time to take care of your legs. Have you thought about small amounts of pain meds? Just to take the edge off and get some sleep. Kim is doing well on them. They are not for everyone, but when I hear the words 'big time pain' I think you could be a candidate. If you need any pointers, I'll be glad to help you. Get well soon.

BCG

Pam R. on 5/05/01 at hrmin (046740)

Janet, Please e-mail me . I'd love to hear from you. Maybe we can help each other. FMS is a strange Malady. So when you have foot surgery, you can't tell if the surgery, the shoes or the FM causing the problems. I wish it would all just go away. ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Pam R. on 5/05/01 at 22:22 (046742)

Hi Brian, My feet are still happy ,it's my legs that are not. I am on Ultram ,which is a pain medication I take for Fibromyalgia. I only take 2 pills each day--I'm allowed up to 6 but I have tapered down on all meds. I was hoping to come off them altogether. But now it doesn't look like that is going to be possible --at least not right away. I stayed off my feet all day today and only walked when I had to...so far ..so good...but the idea of all this was to be on my feet and walking with no pain. If I'm on my feet more than 2 hours--that's all she wrote for me that day. I can't tell if it's my FM flairing or a complication from surgery (which seems unlikely, since I only had one foot done.) I was thinking maybe it was the shoes?????? I just don't know! I also take Klonopin for Restless Leg Syndrome.....Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

bg cped on 5/06/01 at 08:33 (046757)

If you bought the reebok dmx that is all white or almost all white and you can see the 'air bubbles' under the heel. If you can compress it with your thumb it is a bad shoe. If you pronate a little or a lot, and have a bit of valgus or inward tilt to your knees, GET RID OF THEM. In my opinion that shoe is one of the biggest load of huey ever to be marketed, that along with the Easy Spirit ads that showed a ladiy twisting a shoe like a pretzel to demonstrate how wonderful they are.

The problem is they are very unstable, they do not give much support, yes they are squishy and soft but that is not a good quality to have in a shoe. Plus they leak soon after you buy them, go to a hospital and you will hear several nurses that have a shoe that squeeks. They will be wearing all white reebok DMX

I cant count how pany pt we see with PF or other symptoms. They say 'oh it cant be the shoes, these were expensive reebok with the air in them' There was a study done recently regarding shoes with air in the heel, had a 3 times more likely chance og ankle sprains in athletes..that is from lack of stability

I know they were probably not cheap, but I think you have it figured out already

Pam R. on 5/06/01 at 08:50 (046760)

What shoe do you recommend? I have a list from my Pod. Maybe it is a trial and error kind of thing to find the right shoe. All I know is that I suffered no leg pain yesterday because I did not put them on. As I said the only shoe I have is a sandle Easy Spirit. I haven't bought anything because I'm at a lost of what to buy. How are the Birks? I know it takes time to break them in ,but I've heard alot of good things about them. How about SAS--they are also on the list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

BrianG on 5/06/01 at 11:58 (046782)

Hi Pam,

Neither the Ultram, or the Klonopin, are what I'd call real pain meds. Ask your doc for either Vicodan, Percodan or Percocet. All three can be taken whole, or split in half if you feel they are too strong. These are meds that are specificly made for pain control. You can't beat them for short term, acute, pain control (up to a month or so). Ask your doc about them if your leg pain persists. Good luck.

BCG

wendyn on 5/06/01 at 13:25 (046791)

All the nurses and doctors I see wear Birk clogs/shoes

Pam R. on 5/07/01 at 09:05 (046870)

Thanks Brian--will do! I also have Fibromas on the sheath of my tendons in my feet and now have noticed them on the tendons on the back of the knees. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. One seems to growing and it is the size of a marble. Maybe that is where all this pain is coming from. If you know any thing about Fibromyalgia--just about anything could happen....but that's another story. Happy Feet (still smiling) ((Soft Hugs)) Pam P.S. Also have Duprutren's Contracture (Spelling?) Top of the Morning to you and all!

Diana on 5/07/01 at 21:22 (046975)

I also bought a pair of the Reebock DMX shoes and have never been able to wear them very long. I mostly wear Easy Spirits with Dr. Scholl's inserts. Does anyone else have trouble we?ring socks? I mean the nice fluffy Thor-lo type socks. I can feel the threads and they make my feet hurt more. Turning them inside out helps some.

bg cped on 5/08/01 at 23:38 (047111)

If you have fibromas on the foot that large have your orthotic person put some lipstck on the fibroma and step on the orthotic. They can grind a relief or pad around it, they can be painful. also have them flex your big toe upward to make the tendon and the fibroma more visible and mark it with lipstick about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in front of and behind it. If they put a little groove and a relief under it it should feel much better.