Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Skating

Posted by sroehr on 5/06/01 at hrmin (046804)

Hi--I have not been able to get a clear answer from my doctor or the physical therapist. I play ice hockey, and my PF often leaves me crawling afterward (although ice and night splint does help). I've been through every treatment the doctor has put in front of me--injections, PT, ultrasound, night splint, etc.

I've asked my doctor if I should stop skating, if I am doing more damage by skating. Often my feet don't particularly hurt before skating, but start the minute I get on the ice. The usual routine is--excruciating pain for the first 1/2 hour of practice, followed by 1/2 of slightly more bearable pain, followed by a 1/2 hour of hardly any pain. As long as I stretch and put my feet in ice after practice, the pain stays away until later in the day.

So, my question is--how much worse am I making it by skating? I wear CCMs, and my orthotics fit nicely inside. The doctor says they ordered 'hockey orthotics,' and they should help my feet when I skate. But, when I ask the doctor if I should stop playing, his answer is usually, 'Pain means something is wrong, but if you can take the pain, you can skate.' That seems like a contradiction.

The truth is, hockey is important enough to me that I will fight through the pain if it means I can play. And since I don't really believe my feet are doing to get better, it sometimes seems like my only choice if I want to play.

Thanks--SNJR

Re: Skating

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/06/01 at 16:02 (046806)

Pain is an indicator that you should rest. Now have you have your feet and ankle taped by a trainer, this could stop the pain. Alot of pain from ice skating could be nerve entrapement. The ice skate can be very tight.

wendyn on 5/06/01 at 16:47 (046816)

I hope your hockey orthotics will help, give them a try. If you REALLY want to keep playing and the orthotics don't help, you may want to look into custom made skates.

Ultimately it's your call (and your doctor's). I've chosen to do a few things because my feet will only get better to a point anyway.

You also might want to consider a second opinion to ensure that you aren't doing irreprable damage.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/06/01 at 16:02 (046806)

Pain is an indicator that you should rest. Now have you have your feet and ankle taped by a trainer, this could stop the pain. Alot of pain from ice skating could be nerve entrapement. The ice skate can be very tight.

wendyn on 5/06/01 at 16:47 (046816)

I hope your hockey orthotics will help, give them a try. If you REALLY want to keep playing and the orthotics don't help, you may want to look into custom made skates.

Ultimately it's your call (and your doctor's). I've chosen to do a few things because my feet will only get better to a point anyway.

You also might want to consider a second opinion to ensure that you aren't doing irreprable damage.