Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

returning birks or other footwear

Posted by bg cped on 5/06/01 at 17:51 (046820)

I was just going to offer this up, it probably will not be very popular with a few folks. I just wanted to offer a different view on footwear and returns. This applies to mostly Birks but other things including inserts can apply. A good specialty retailer or Pedorthic office will I hope fit your correctly. BUT nobody had a way to predict, other than an idea based on your foot type, if you will have luck wearing them.

If a shoe or Birk is worn in the house and shows no sign of wear it is ok to return. If it is visibly worn, I dont feel it is reasonable to expect a retailer to take it back. A place like Nordstroms may do it and eat it. It is similar to trying to return 1/2 bottle of prescription pills cause they didnt work or you had a reaction. The pharmacist didnt know, and they cant repackage them and give them to somebody else.

I am thinking about discontinuing being a Birk dealer. They were known and sold as a special high end shoe. Now you can get them on Home Shopping, Sams Club, and even the company sells them via the web(that is the part I find the most sleazy)
I realize folks want a good price Myself and other spec retailers have had customers that bought Birks off the web or HSN and have Bikenstock tell the customer to call us to swap sizes, fix them, etc. I have had a few folks get irate and one siad I HAD TO DO WHAT SHE WANTED CAUSE BIRKENSTOCK SAID SO.

If Birkenstock is comfortable to have customers guess size and buy from a head set phone jockey then god bless them. But they need to be the one to service them also, dont send them to the little guy to fix the problem. As far as returning them after they show wear, it is not the fault of the retailer if you couldnt adapt to them. A retailer cant re-use them. It was not like they were defective. Perhaps you can find a friend or family member to give them to. You dont buy a car and drive it for a week and say the seat is not comfortable, let me return the car.
This may seem like I am ranting, but I just wanted to throw out a different perspective. I dont have PF to be mad at, but I do have allergies and I have to mow my lawn now....maybe thats why I am in a bit of a foul mood

Re: returning birks or other footwear

Paula A on 5/06/01 at hrmin (046827)

BG,

I would never return shoes that showed signs of wear..The shoes I
returned were in perfect condition and she put them right back
up on display..She even commented I took good care of them.
I bought them with the understanding that if my pain wracked
feet couldn't take them I was welcome to bring them back..

This is a small store at the mall that has BIrks, Dankos and
others.

It has been trial and error with finding the right shoe..I don't
abuse the shoes I buy, but I do wear them on carpeted surfaces
and make a point not to go outside in them during the trial period.

I am trying to find something, anything to relieve this pain..
I am not trying to financially ruin the shoe store or it's owner..
or anyone who works in the Pedorthist field..

Sorry to cause your rant. I understand also about allergies as I
have them also. I wouldn't want to mow the lawn either..It makes
me go wild with sneezing and itchy eyes.

Paula A

bg cped on 5/06/01 at 19:51 (046828)

Pauls I am sorry if you thought I was refering to you, I wasnt. I just thought it may be an interesting point to throw out. We have both sides of the fench on here, would be interesting.

What got me thinking is the way Birkenstock is changing the way the do business. I will take things back also. I had a person the other day that bought a shoe almost 2 years ago for around $80. They came in when I had 2 other people to work on. The were loud and said 'I WANT TO COMPLAIN' My co-worker said I would be busy for a while and could they help.
The person said these shoes are supposed to be so great, and they are worn out, iI just wanted to give them as a gift from me, these are junk.
My co- worker asked how much use he got out of them due to the obvious worn condition. He was silly enough to claim he has worn them every day since he bought them.... DUH $80 and 2 years? the shoe was toast over a year ago. I know this guy was prob the type to complain about everything but to go out of your way to do that is odd.

Again I was not pointing at anybody on here, I just thought it would be a subject that would generate some healthy dialog.
Perhaps I can patent a Birkenstock vending machine, offer 30% off retail, swipe your ATM card and away you go. May as well beat them to the punch

Nancy N on 5/06/01 at 20:28 (046834)

I agree with you for the most part about returns. I have a pair of SAS Freetimes that I'm still not sure fit me properly, and I haven't had a chance to try them out much with my new orthotics. As a result, I've kept them in a safe place, and have been careful not to wear them outside the house. The store where I got them told me that as long as I don't wear them outside, I could have them for a year and they would still take them back if need be.

I also want to note that I do think the Birks at Sam's must've been a fluke. They were labeled as Betulas, but they look exactly like Arizonas, and when I took them to my pedorthist last weekend, he agreed with me. He was wondering if they had a run of Arizonas that got mislabeled, and therefore they sold them to Sam's for a cut rate. Either way, most of the people I saw there when I got mine already had Birks and knew exactly what they were looking for. I know there's no guarantee that they got it right, but for $40, it's a reasonable gamble.

wendyn on 5/06/01 at 22:28 (046842)

bg, valid points....I received a slip when I purchased my Birks (from a Birk shoe store) that said they will not take them back if there is any marks on them at all - including foot imprints in the bed. They give out little stockettes in the store for trying on shoes, and don't even like to drag out lots and lots of pairs for people to try on because - as they said - the shoes imprint in the bed almost immediately.

I purchased a pair of suede new balance walking shoes from a running store recently. Despite the fact I had worn them outside (and suede shoes wear and scuff very easily) they took them back and gave me a full refund (142 dollars Canadian - the soles were way TOO soft and flexible for my feet). I wore them about 3 times. That's just their policy - and they do it with runners too - it's one of the reasons that it's probably the most popular running store in our City. I'm sure they lose money on individual returns at times - but it also brings in a lot of business.

The bottom line is that it's important to check the store's policy BEFORE you buy.

Julie on 5/07/01 at 03:19 (046854)

Good points, Brian. I think people are often unreasonable in their expectations. I'd like to add that anyone considering buying Birkensticks from one of the on-line sites should be fitted properly by a reputable dealer first. Only when you know your correct size, and are sure about the style, should you buy on-line, sight unseen.

Even then, there can be problems: I recently bought a pair of Arizonas from the German website that turned out to be stiff: they're not uncomfortable, and I can wear them, but they feel 'clumpy'. Your advice to Anne to try to soften them by bending them has been helpful this morning! Thanks.

john h on 5/07/01 at 15:32 (046939)

julie: some guys buy wives online! why not shoes?

Julie on 5/07/01 at 16:21 (046944)

I dunno, John. Could be wives are less of a risk, maybe?

Seriously, I didn't say don't buy Birks on line, just find out your size and preferred style before you do.

Paula A on 5/06/01 at hrmin (046827)

BG,

I would never return shoes that showed signs of wear..The shoes I
returned were in perfect condition and she put them right back
up on display..She even commented I took good care of them.
I bought them with the understanding that if my pain wracked
feet couldn't take them I was welcome to bring them back..

This is a small store at the mall that has BIrks, Dankos and
others.

It has been trial and error with finding the right shoe..I don't
abuse the shoes I buy, but I do wear them on carpeted surfaces
and make a point not to go outside in them during the trial period.

I am trying to find something, anything to relieve this pain..
I am not trying to financially ruin the shoe store or it's owner..
or anyone who works in the Pedorthist field..

Sorry to cause your rant. I understand also about allergies as I
have them also. I wouldn't want to mow the lawn either..It makes
me go wild with sneezing and itchy eyes.

Paula A

bg cped on 5/06/01 at 19:51 (046828)

Pauls I am sorry if you thought I was refering to you, I wasnt. I just thought it may be an interesting point to throw out. We have both sides of the fench on here, would be interesting.

What got me thinking is the way Birkenstock is changing the way the do business. I will take things back also. I had a person the other day that bought a shoe almost 2 years ago for around $80. They came in when I had 2 other people to work on. The were loud and said 'I WANT TO COMPLAIN' My co-worker said I would be busy for a while and could they help.
The person said these shoes are supposed to be so great, and they are worn out, iI just wanted to give them as a gift from me, these are junk.
My co- worker asked how much use he got out of them due to the obvious worn condition. He was silly enough to claim he has worn them every day since he bought them.... DUH $80 and 2 years? the shoe was toast over a year ago. I know this guy was prob the type to complain about everything but to go out of your way to do that is odd.

Again I was not pointing at anybody on here, I just thought it would be a subject that would generate some healthy dialog.
Perhaps I can patent a Birkenstock vending machine, offer 30% off retail, swipe your ATM card and away you go. May as well beat them to the punch

Nancy N on 5/06/01 at 20:28 (046834)

I agree with you for the most part about returns. I have a pair of SAS Freetimes that I'm still not sure fit me properly, and I haven't had a chance to try them out much with my new orthotics. As a result, I've kept them in a safe place, and have been careful not to wear them outside the house. The store where I got them told me that as long as I don't wear them outside, I could have them for a year and they would still take them back if need be.

I also want to note that I do think the Birks at Sam's must've been a fluke. They were labeled as Betulas, but they look exactly like Arizonas, and when I took them to my pedorthist last weekend, he agreed with me. He was wondering if they had a run of Arizonas that got mislabeled, and therefore they sold them to Sam's for a cut rate. Either way, most of the people I saw there when I got mine already had Birks and knew exactly what they were looking for. I know there's no guarantee that they got it right, but for $40, it's a reasonable gamble.

wendyn on 5/06/01 at 22:28 (046842)

bg, valid points....I received a slip when I purchased my Birks (from a Birk shoe store) that said they will not take them back if there is any marks on them at all - including foot imprints in the bed. They give out little stockettes in the store for trying on shoes, and don't even like to drag out lots and lots of pairs for people to try on because - as they said - the shoes imprint in the bed almost immediately.

I purchased a pair of suede new balance walking shoes from a running store recently. Despite the fact I had worn them outside (and suede shoes wear and scuff very easily) they took them back and gave me a full refund (142 dollars Canadian - the soles were way TOO soft and flexible for my feet). I wore them about 3 times. That's just their policy - and they do it with runners too - it's one of the reasons that it's probably the most popular running store in our City. I'm sure they lose money on individual returns at times - but it also brings in a lot of business.

The bottom line is that it's important to check the store's policy BEFORE you buy.

Julie on 5/07/01 at 03:19 (046854)

Good points, Brian. I think people are often unreasonable in their expectations. I'd like to add that anyone considering buying Birkensticks from one of the on-line sites should be fitted properly by a reputable dealer first. Only when you know your correct size, and are sure about the style, should you buy on-line, sight unseen.

Even then, there can be problems: I recently bought a pair of Arizonas from the German website that turned out to be stiff: they're not uncomfortable, and I can wear them, but they feel 'clumpy'. Your advice to Anne to try to soften them by bending them has been helpful this morning! Thanks.

john h on 5/07/01 at 15:32 (046939)

julie: some guys buy wives online! why not shoes?

Julie on 5/07/01 at 16:21 (046944)

I dunno, John. Could be wives are less of a risk, maybe?

Seriously, I didn't say don't buy Birks on line, just find out your size and preferred style before you do.