Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help!!

Posted by Vicki C. on 5/07/01 at 02:54 (046849)

I have been coming almost daily to this wonderful site for the past month or so. I have PFw/ lg. spurs in both feet. My 1st flare-up was 4 yrs. ago in my left foot. I had cortisone shots & was fitted w/ custom orthotics which never worked after several adjustments,tried Birks but they too hurt, so gave that up & SUFFERED. One day my heel pain just STOPPED,much to my joy& relief.Now here it is 31/2 yrs. later & pain is back w/ a vengeance in my right heel this time.My pain is between a 10-7,only painfree when sleeping. I am a nurse & have taken an extended leave of absece from my job. I have been out of work for 6 wks. causing hardship to our finances & seem to be getting worse instead of better,I had a cortisone shot last week,am rsting the pain leaves me no choice , the ortho ordered PT,was very negative re: surgery(stated it only has a 50-50 success rate, $ quite honestly'I left feeling less hopeful than ever. Should i try Birks again,try some different insoles, I don't have a whole lot of exta funds at this time ,but know I should start w/ a decent shoe. I am making an appt. w/ another ortho next week .My ins. does not cover the Ossatron therapy, I feel like my whole life(as i knew it ) has changed. There is no way I can work at my profession & I'm truly frightened of my future,however I am so overwhelmed & depressed that I need some advice on where to go from here. ihave always been an upbeat sort of person & love to laugh ,but this is gettingto be toomuch. Thanks for Being here. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Re: Help!!

VickiC on 5/07/01 at 10:09 (046883)

Hi Vicki,

I don't know if it's too late, but don't you think the PF is from your job? I would think short term disability, or workman's comp. would be the way to go. Time to talk to a lawyer? I would. Good luck

BCG

BrianG on 5/07/01 at 10:12 (046886)

Hi Vicki,

I messed up on the above post, forgot to put my user name in.....BCG

Cynthia jD on 5/07/01 at 11:25 (046898)

Vicky, Brian's right, your injury sounds like it was caused by your job and being on your feet repetitively. You should look into this. Meanwhile, most of here had to reach the point you are at now with accepting this horrible disability. You will find lots of friends here who are going through the same thing. It's hard to accept that life will probably never be the same. I am on the recovering end of pf...I hope, I hope, but I have had to accept that life may never be the same as it was, ever. I'm sorry this happened to you, it seems to affect a lot of nurses, who are always caring and compassionate. I'm sure you will find lots of ideas and suggestions here, but you might want to start by reading the Heel Pain or PF Book on the home page here. Best wishes.

Valerie S on 5/07/01 at 14:10 (046918)

Hi Vicki.

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. How long have you had this bout of PF? What have you tried this time around?

I have had PF for about 8 months, and like you, I work on my feet all day. I have been off work for several (7) weeks now. The rest seems to be helping me, but I don't know how I will ever go back to that job. My mom works in a hospital ER, and one of the doctors there has taken a year-long leave from his practice to heel his bilateral PF. He is currently in a wheelchair with casts on both feet. They say that doctors make the worst patients, and I'll bet it applies to all caregivers to an extent. No offense intended, just remarking that it's probably hard to keep a good woman like you down.

Sorry for the bad pun, but you need to take this one step at a time. Read the PF Book, be nice to your feet, hope that they get better with conservative methods. If not, there is always ESWT as an option. There are lots of ways to treat PF. I have also had the 'hopeless' doctor's visits. There have been more than a couple of times that I have left there to go home and cry. I am sick of feeling sorry for myself, sick of complaining about my feet. I know how depressing it is to feel trapped on your rear. hee hee. There really is hope, Vicki. We won't give up on you.

You have come to the right place. I have found some great friends and great support here. Please feel free to email me anytime. I am using my short-term disability insurance for my medical leave of absence, and as the 12 week mark approaches, I wonder about my future as well... I don't have the college education, but our situations are parallel in a way. I have talked to a Workman's Comp lawyer, and am still considering filing a claim with WC.

Please take it easy, Vicki. Worry about your feet first; you can worry about the job later. You will always have friends here.

Take care...
Your friend, Val.

Vicki C. on 5/07/01 at 14:50 (046923)

Hi Val & Everyone who replied to my pleas for help. this pain really brings you to your knees ( pun intended,ha ! In answer to Val's question re: how long have I had this current flare-up, it started in Oct. of last year & getting increasingly worse causing my leaving work. The sad part of all this is I had just left my job of 11yrs. to start anew job( for more $) 7 had only been on this job for 4 wks. so i don't qualify for any sort of compensation . Rotten luck,huh ? I tried my orthotics again, still hurt ALOT,am currently icing,have tried some stretching,& resting,resting resting.I am getting a second opinion this week,& have a Rx.for PT&need to make an appt.for that.My ins. does not cover ESWT, i have already inquired. Meanwhile I need sone sort of footwear, what about those Birks w/ the soft soles I've read about? I am going to read Scott's book again. I have posted my e-mail so, Val, feel free to e-mailme anytime& thanks so much for responding. Love to you all

Re: Help!! /good to see u back

Tammie on 5/07/01 at 15:06 (046928)

Val,
Nice to hear your wonderful caring voice again!!!! Hope u are having a better day!!!!! Hugssssssss

Re: What about Workman's Compensation...?

Valerie S on 5/07/01 at 21:56 (046978)

Hi Vicki.

Funny thing... I just got a promotion before I finally left my job to take care of this darned PF too! But, unlike you, I was at the same company for a longer period of time, qualifying me for the disability insurance.

I AM NOT A LAWYER OR AN EXPERT ON THIS SUBJECT. I can only share my experience with you and encourage you to get the info you need to make your own informed decisions.

I am assuming that you were also a nurse before you transfered to the new job. I think the laws vary state by state, and I live in Michigan. You might qualify for Workman's Compensation. I went to see a lawyer, and he told me that in order to get any money from WC, you need to be able to prove that your PF was either CAUSED or AGGRAVATED by your job (which requires you to work on your feet all day... go figure). I am not a lawsuit-happy person, and am still debating whether I should pursue a case myself... just some food for thought for you. I have the luxury of the disability insurance, but would highly recommend that you talk to a lawyer. (IT'S FREE). You might have a case, regarding your old job. Our Laurie R. is the real expert on WC... she has been through the ringer, and has been a great advisor to me on this and many other issues.

I don't mean to pry. I know your pain is real. And if it was caused by your work, then you deserve to be compensated.

I know that it is a difficult decision to make, but you worked hard and this is what you got for it... just something to think about. I am here if you ever need a friend, as you will find many others here who will be supportive of any decision that you make.

As far as the footwear is concerned, you will find many differing opinions. Lots of people have had success with Birks. I love them, have been wearing them exclusively for almost 10 years. I was also wearing them when I developed PF. I think I let them wear out too far (had them resoled 3 times and wore them for work for 3 years)...this may have contributed to my getting the PF, I wish I knew... I won't give them up though. If you do a search on Birkenstocks on the message board home page, you will find more info than you can handle... there are also a couple of threads going on the boards right now that are addressing the Birk solution.

Good that you're getting a 2nd opinion. Also the PT might help you feel less hopeless. I had 5 weeks of PT, and I loved every painful minute of it. It is a lot more than Physical Therapy... I really enjoyed the personal attention. If you haven't chosen a PT yet, I would recommend that you look for a smaller place. Most people here have agreed that you get more personal and better attention from a smaller establishment. If you lived in my town, I would send you to my PT. He was sent to me by God. I hope all goes well for you in making a selection too.

Let us know what else we can do for you, Vicki. I will send you an email, since you have invited me to do so... beware! (wink wink)...
Take it easy. Try to have a nice day, and please know that we are all in this together.
Your friend, Val.

Valerie S on 5/07/01 at 21:58 (046979)

Hi Tammie.

I am glad to see you too... You have helped me in more ways than I can express. I am lucky to have a friend like you. I hope you are doing well. Good luck with the orthotics. I wish that I could say that mine felt good, even on my better foot! ... Oh well, one more adjustment, and I can dream that they will help me!

Take care, my friend. Thanks for all your encouragement and strength.
NOW GO PUT YOUR FEET UP!! hee hee...

Your friend, Val.

VickiC on 5/07/01 at 10:09 (046883)

Hi Vicki,

I don't know if it's too late, but don't you think the PF is from your job? I would think short term disability, or workman's comp. would be the way to go. Time to talk to a lawyer? I would. Good luck

BCG

BrianG on 5/07/01 at 10:12 (046886)

Hi Vicki,

I messed up on the above post, forgot to put my user name in.....BCG

Cynthia jD on 5/07/01 at 11:25 (046898)

Vicky, Brian's right, your injury sounds like it was caused by your job and being on your feet repetitively. You should look into this. Meanwhile, most of here had to reach the point you are at now with accepting this horrible disability. You will find lots of friends here who are going through the same thing. It's hard to accept that life will probably never be the same. I am on the recovering end of pf...I hope, I hope, but I have had to accept that life may never be the same as it was, ever. I'm sorry this happened to you, it seems to affect a lot of nurses, who are always caring and compassionate. I'm sure you will find lots of ideas and suggestions here, but you might want to start by reading the Heel Pain or PF Book on the home page here. Best wishes.

Valerie S on 5/07/01 at 14:10 (046918)

Hi Vicki.

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. How long have you had this bout of PF? What have you tried this time around?

I have had PF for about 8 months, and like you, I work on my feet all day. I have been off work for several (7) weeks now. The rest seems to be helping me, but I don't know how I will ever go back to that job. My mom works in a hospital ER, and one of the doctors there has taken a year-long leave from his practice to heel his bilateral PF. He is currently in a wheelchair with casts on both feet. They say that doctors make the worst patients, and I'll bet it applies to all caregivers to an extent. No offense intended, just remarking that it's probably hard to keep a good woman like you down.

Sorry for the bad pun, but you need to take this one step at a time. Read the PF Book, be nice to your feet, hope that they get better with conservative methods. If not, there is always ESWT as an option. There are lots of ways to treat PF. I have also had the 'hopeless' doctor's visits. There have been more than a couple of times that I have left there to go home and cry. I am sick of feeling sorry for myself, sick of complaining about my feet. I know how depressing it is to feel trapped on your rear. hee hee. There really is hope, Vicki. We won't give up on you.

You have come to the right place. I have found some great friends and great support here. Please feel free to email me anytime. I am using my short-term disability insurance for my medical leave of absence, and as the 12 week mark approaches, I wonder about my future as well... I don't have the college education, but our situations are parallel in a way. I have talked to a Workman's Comp lawyer, and am still considering filing a claim with WC.

Please take it easy, Vicki. Worry about your feet first; you can worry about the job later. You will always have friends here.

Take care...
Your friend, Val.

Vicki C. on 5/07/01 at 14:50 (046923)

Hi Val & Everyone who replied to my pleas for help. this pain really brings you to your knees ( pun intended,ha ! In answer to Val's question re: how long have I had this current flare-up, it started in Oct. of last year & getting increasingly worse causing my leaving work. The sad part of all this is I had just left my job of 11yrs. to start anew job( for more $) 7 had only been on this job for 4 wks. so i don't qualify for any sort of compensation . Rotten luck,huh ? I tried my orthotics again, still hurt ALOT,am currently icing,have tried some stretching,& resting,resting resting.I am getting a second opinion this week,& have a Rx.for PT&need to make an appt.for that.My ins. does not cover ESWT, i have already inquired. Meanwhile I need sone sort of footwear, what about those Birks w/ the soft soles I've read about? I am going to read Scott's book again. I have posted my e-mail so, Val, feel free to e-mailme anytime& thanks so much for responding. Love to you all

Tammie on 5/07/01 at 15:06 (046928)

Val,
Nice to hear your wonderful caring voice again!!!! Hope u are having a better day!!!!! Hugssssssss

Re: What about Workman's Compensation...?

Valerie S on 5/07/01 at 21:56 (046978)

Hi Vicki.

Funny thing... I just got a promotion before I finally left my job to take care of this darned PF too! But, unlike you, I was at the same company for a longer period of time, qualifying me for the disability insurance.

I AM NOT A LAWYER OR AN EXPERT ON THIS SUBJECT. I can only share my experience with you and encourage you to get the info you need to make your own informed decisions.

I am assuming that you were also a nurse before you transfered to the new job. I think the laws vary state by state, and I live in Michigan. You might qualify for Workman's Compensation. I went to see a lawyer, and he told me that in order to get any money from WC, you need to be able to prove that your PF was either CAUSED or AGGRAVATED by your job (which requires you to work on your feet all day... go figure). I am not a lawsuit-happy person, and am still debating whether I should pursue a case myself... just some food for thought for you. I have the luxury of the disability insurance, but would highly recommend that you talk to a lawyer. (IT'S FREE). You might have a case, regarding your old job. Our Laurie R. is the real expert on WC... she has been through the ringer, and has been a great advisor to me on this and many other issues.

I don't mean to pry. I know your pain is real. And if it was caused by your work, then you deserve to be compensated.

I know that it is a difficult decision to make, but you worked hard and this is what you got for it... just something to think about. I am here if you ever need a friend, as you will find many others here who will be supportive of any decision that you make.

As far as the footwear is concerned, you will find many differing opinions. Lots of people have had success with Birks. I love them, have been wearing them exclusively for almost 10 years. I was also wearing them when I developed PF. I think I let them wear out too far (had them resoled 3 times and wore them for work for 3 years)...this may have contributed to my getting the PF, I wish I knew... I won't give them up though. If you do a search on Birkenstocks on the message board home page, you will find more info than you can handle... there are also a couple of threads going on the boards right now that are addressing the Birk solution.

Good that you're getting a 2nd opinion. Also the PT might help you feel less hopeless. I had 5 weeks of PT, and I loved every painful minute of it. It is a lot more than Physical Therapy... I really enjoyed the personal attention. If you haven't chosen a PT yet, I would recommend that you look for a smaller place. Most people here have agreed that you get more personal and better attention from a smaller establishment. If you lived in my town, I would send you to my PT. He was sent to me by God. I hope all goes well for you in making a selection too.

Let us know what else we can do for you, Vicki. I will send you an email, since you have invited me to do so... beware! (wink wink)...
Take it easy. Try to have a nice day, and please know that we are all in this together.
Your friend, Val.

Valerie S on 5/07/01 at 21:58 (046979)

Hi Tammie.

I am glad to see you too... You have helped me in more ways than I can express. I am lucky to have a friend like you. I hope you are doing well. Good luck with the orthotics. I wish that I could say that mine felt good, even on my better foot! ... Oh well, one more adjustment, and I can dream that they will help me!

Take care, my friend. Thanks for all your encouragement and strength.
NOW GO PUT YOUR FEET UP!! hee hee...

Your friend, Val.