Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur/fasciitis-how much rest?

Posted by Wallace H on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046867)

I was diagnosed 5-4 with PF and have a large spur on my heel. My feet had been sore for quite some time, but I really got a sharp pain when I stepped off my step-van on the day before the injury. I was given cortisone, anti-inflammatory medicine, a night splint, and they are ordering orthotics. Some of the pain has subsided. My question is this: My job duties include steeping off my truck onto injured heel and also walking on hard surfaces. What is an average amount of rest should give my heel once I start wearing the orthotics. I realize that with the cortisone it is hard to tell how much pain I am actually in. This is a Workman's Compensation case, and my doctor does come reccomended and seems trustworthy, but I know from talking to others that the insurance carriers are bullies. I am 50 years old and don't want to jeopardize my future because of over zealous claim case workers. How long should I rest this heel before I resume work? What is reasonable and fair? I had the same condition ten years ago and the doctor pushed me back to work. I was in much pain, but it went away. I'm older and not as willing to take the same risks without another opinion. Please advise if you can Dr. It would be much appreciated.

Re: heel spur/fasciitis-how much rest?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/07/01 at 19:16 (046968)

This is a very individualized question . Here a few tips. Don't jump on the heel for at least six weeks. No bare feet. Stretch, and taping the foot. ANy limping in the morning or after being off your feet for a period of time is a signs that you are injuring the foot and need more rest. I hope that this is helpful

Wallace H on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047087)

Dr. Zuckerman,

Thank you very much for your opinion. The question of tolerable levels of pain versus possible injury, I know, are difficult to answer. At least I now feel like I am in the ballpark, and feel some sense of relief. I appreciate and will follow your suggestions. Thank you very much for your time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/07/01 at 19:16 (046968)

This is a very individualized question . Here a few tips. Don't jump on the heel for at least six weeks. No bare feet. Stretch, and taping the foot. ANy limping in the morning or after being off your feet for a period of time is a signs that you are injuring the foot and need more rest. I hope that this is helpful

Wallace H on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047087)

Dr. Zuckerman,

Thank you very much for your opinion. The question of tolerable levels of pain versus possible injury, I know, are difficult to answer. At least I now feel like I am in the ballpark, and feel some sense of relief. I appreciate and will follow your suggestions. Thank you very much for your time.