Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am trying again the new orthodic today,I need advice

Posted by Tammie on 5/07/01 at 08:56 (046868)

Hi,
I am again trying the orthodic in post surg. foot ,my good foot the orthodic feels fine have been wearing it for 2 weeks. No pain really feels comfortable and has right from the start. Now the other sore foot I have lots of pain with it, dr.,told me to take out for the weekend and start fresh today. I have pain in that foot without the orthodic and with it. She thought I may have rushed it to much and said to take it slow,mindful of any pain it may cause. Ok, now I have the reebox dmx I really think they are comfortable shoes, I had just before the surgery and ,I will put the orthodic in it.Now I have a hard blue plastic orthodics with a thin dark red or maroon leather or viynal type material on them and they are only half ones. That may give idea what type they are as I know nothing ,I seem to gather there are several types and styles. I searched the site for orthodic , for breaking in advice, but couldnt really find allot but I am not the best in computer knowledge either lol, am mastering allot tho in new areas lately. Now my question is I am planning on starting in am early when I first get up for a hour with the new orthodic,in sore foot, because my foot is generally not swollen first thing in morning,do u think i should take out the pad on thease shoes before puttin in orthodic? How do u tell if u need to take it out?And the last time I tryed this last week my foot hurt in new areas not the heel where the surgery was but ankle and the arch toes and really so bad I could not walk. I want to do this right,I notice my foot without support rollsout immediately upon trying to weight bear on it,I have a support elastic sock they put on my foot ,but still seems weak ,ok now back to the orthodic, that foot seems like it is different from pre surgery,Proably normal ,but it seems a bit puffier,and maybe flatter if possible as I have flatfooted anyways. The orthodic seems to dig into my arch area or wear it should be . If I wear a heavy sock none of my shoes fit on that foot, But a bigger size would be much to big on good foot as I was trying this in store this weekend.Is there someway I can make the orthodic to not feel so darn hard in that foot? Again I must say my good foot is fine no problems with the orthodic or the fit of my regular shoes,in fact it really makes that foot feel good! If u can give me any advice I will be glad to listen,I did talk to Pod, last Thurs, who wanted me to go back to boot till today, then to try shoe with orthie today but she said in afternoon , I cant or my foot would already be swollen to much for a shoe. So I thought this morning would be best. I am getting ready to put on now for a hour. Thanks will check back

Re: I am trying again the new orthodic today,I need advice

BrianG on 5/07/01 at 09:12 (046873)

Hi Tammie,

Sorry to hear your still having pain problems. I'm no expert, but this what I was told. I started by wearing them 1 hour at a time, just like your doing. I then increased the time by an hour each day. I always wore them in the AM, when my feet wern't as swollen. I noticed you did say your were hard. I have 2 pairs that I cannot wear, too hard. I hope you don't run into this same problem. Good luck, time for some orthotics pro's to give advice.

BCG

Re: Brian thank u

Tammie on 5/07/01 at 15:20 (046936)

Hi ,
Thank u for responding!!! I did wear them for the hour and must say the left one the sore foot , is very harddddd is feels like it jabs into my arch area and it hurtsssss. Now since taking my shoe off just resting with elevating I can feel like that funny pain going down my leg and in my foot area like a socking tingeling feeling , I dont like it , it does not feel to good . I have a bit of swelling in upper part of foot now,that was not there begore but that is common with or without the orthodic.It goes down at night time only to reoccure during day! Does your foot have a hot feeling ? It is a constant hot feeling no reddness or anything just feels like inside there is a hot bed do u know what I mean? I think I have heard that that could be the healing. Oh well I will try orthodic again tomorrow. Should I go to the 1 hour still or 2? Thanks as u seem like the only one who doesnt mind my long winded notes lol!!!!! I hope you are enjoying the sunshine as it is beautiful here and it kinda makes u sad to not wanting to walk in it.

Richard, C.Ped on 5/08/01 at 08:16 (047016)

Hi Tammie,
When you say take out the 'pad', are you referring to the current insole? If so, yes, you should take that out. If you leave it in, there will be just too much 'stuff' in your shoe to be comfortable. I have done quite a bit of experimentation with orthotics, and leaving in the original insole is one of them. It was cool for about twenty minutes. It made me taller. But after that it started to feel very uncomfortable.

If your foot is really sore, you may want to cut your wearing time to about thirty minutes a day. Don't try to force yourself to wear them.

Did they cast your feet when the sore foot was swollen?
Richard, C.Ped

Re: Re:Thank u Richard

Tammie on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047019)

Hello,
Yes I am referring to the currant insole, as the Dr. had told me I might have to cut some out. I had the casting for the orthodics done before I had the surgery and at that time I did not have any swelling. Now I get swelling. It has been 3 weeks since surgery and my dr. seems to be insistant that I should be in shoes. But in same breath she says Listen to the pain and swelling. I to would like to wear my shoes as it is quite heavey and hot to wear this boot cast. My foot was very sore last night to the point it was keeping me awake with the pain. It was angry with me this morning also with the old morning cant walk pain , I put the boot cast on and I can at least walk,till it loosens up.Then if it does not swell to much I can put the shoe on and try it again I may try the 30 min. now can I ask u when u say 30 min to a hour does that mean if like I were resting it elevated ,or wahtever (not walking on it actually) is that included in the 30 min to a hour? Or start the time when I am on my feet allot? I am not always sure of what exactly directions mean that are given. I see the dr. next thursday and I know she is expecting me to walk in in shoes with the orthodic broken in. Frankly I am worried i will not be able to do this, I have been trying but seems to me that my foot is being very stubborn ,.Do u think a different shoe would be better? I have bought the reebox dmx on there recomendation and a orthopedic dr. I do also have a adidas shoe it says torsion on the bottom , they seem to be a little bit larger inside and deeper. I have been trying both as when my foot swells they seem to fit a bit better but dont seem like they have any support or maybe better words would be they are very stiff and dont bend as easy I walk witha very stiff gait in them . The reebox are more soft and seem to bend better my gait is not quite as stiff with them but my foot seems like it is not down in them like my heel is up to far,and I cant wear a heavy sock , My whole foot seems different shaped, although at times it does not appear to be swollen but does not fit any former shoes to just even sit there and try on? I am not walking in them mind u , just trying to see what fits. Maybe is swollen inside or I donk know the reason for this.Well I am going to try the orthodic again ina bit as I have to first get my foot to feel better it seems like it takes a few hours in am to get it moving in the boot cast then I can change to a shoe if no swelling. Thanks for info and I will try what u suggest. I am sorry if I ask to much or ramble I am just trying to figure this stuff out!!! Abig thank u again!!!

Re: Re:Thank u Richard?/ Richard if u have time could u read my post Please

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 08:32 (047313)

Hello Richard ,
I posted to u above to,I am sorry to ask or whine so much , I dont know what to really do, I tryed what u have said with the half hour , I then moved to the hour well the pain was so bad I posted last night in surgery sec, to see what I could do. It is strange to me as it seems like it happens in evening , after a time that I wear my shoes with the orthodic, I tryed without it and I have trouble walking. Now this morning my foot is tender a bit but feels much better. I just dont get it? I hate to call a dr. now when it doesnt feel bad but my nighttime I will be in pain again. Do u think I should try a different type shoe? I have stated in above post the 2 pairs of shoes I do have , Do u think this could be related to the orthodics? When I have called the dr. before she thought I was trying to fast and to long with orthodics, I am not I know that now for sure. Thanks for any input and I am sorry for bringing this to u. Thanks

Richard, C.Ped on 5/10/01 at 08:54 (047317)

Tammie,
I am sorry you are having so much trouble with these things. You describe the pain as 'digging' into your arch. It may be that the arch are is a little too high. If you have a hard plastic orthosis where the bottom is rounded out and there are gaps everywhere if you place it on a flat desk, you may need the arch adjusted with a heat gun.

If there is material under the arch, you may need the arch sanded down a little.

This is the part where I would have to see you to really determine what is going on. Do get in touch with your doctor ASAP to let him/her know where the pain is at night.

If the shoe feels too tight with the orthosis in, you may have to get a wider shoe.

Some people have very sensitive feet. It very well may be that you have to cut your time down even more. I know it was just the other day when I replied to tell you to go to 30 minutes. Don't force youself to wear them. If your feet hurt after 30 minutes, don't go to an hour the next
day. You may have to try 15 minutes a day for a while. Try to wear them even if you are watching TV or reading. This still allows your feet to get the feel of them.

Check your feet for red spots in the arch. Does it look as though a blister is forming? If the pain persists, or gets worse, let your doctor know.

Keep me informed.
Richard

Re: Re:shoes and orthotics

Jason M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047324)

Tammie, When I first got my custom orthotics I bought a pair of Reebok DMX also to wear with them. I found that the DMX were simply not deep enough to accomodate the orthotic. I wore them anyway because I had just spent 80bucks on them. This went on for a couple of months and then I started having really bad ankle problems. Finally I wised up and went shoe shopping. I bought a pair of New Balance that were nice and deep and wide. They accomodated the orthotics very well and after a few months in the New Balance my ankle pain was completely gone. Those 6 mos. where my ankle was killing me probably could have been avoided if I'd just been more careful about what shoes I put my orthotics in. I'm not saying this is the case for anyone wearing DMX, but that's how it was for me. You said that you felt like your heels were up kind of high, well that's how if felt for me too, and very little ankle stability. Maybe you should try some shoes that fit your orthotics a little better. This probably doesn't help your immediate problem, but a few weeks down the road I would hate for you to have the ankle pain that I had. It was probably as bad as or worse than the PF pain (because it hurt all the time, not just when I was standing). Anyway, I'm sure you'll start feeling better soon. Feel free to email me if you'd like to chat. Good Luck!,
Jason

BrianG on 5/07/01 at 09:12 (046873)

Hi Tammie,

Sorry to hear your still having pain problems. I'm no expert, but this what I was told. I started by wearing them 1 hour at a time, just like your doing. I then increased the time by an hour each day. I always wore them in the AM, when my feet wern't as swollen. I noticed you did say your were hard. I have 2 pairs that I cannot wear, too hard. I hope you don't run into this same problem. Good luck, time for some orthotics pro's to give advice.

BCG

Re: Brian thank u

Tammie on 5/07/01 at 15:20 (046936)

Hi ,
Thank u for responding!!! I did wear them for the hour and must say the left one the sore foot , is very harddddd is feels like it jabs into my arch area and it hurtsssss. Now since taking my shoe off just resting with elevating I can feel like that funny pain going down my leg and in my foot area like a socking tingeling feeling , I dont like it , it does not feel to good . I have a bit of swelling in upper part of foot now,that was not there begore but that is common with or without the orthodic.It goes down at night time only to reoccure during day! Does your foot have a hot feeling ? It is a constant hot feeling no reddness or anything just feels like inside there is a hot bed do u know what I mean? I think I have heard that that could be the healing. Oh well I will try orthodic again tomorrow. Should I go to the 1 hour still or 2? Thanks as u seem like the only one who doesnt mind my long winded notes lol!!!!! I hope you are enjoying the sunshine as it is beautiful here and it kinda makes u sad to not wanting to walk in it.

Richard, C.Ped on 5/08/01 at 08:16 (047016)

Hi Tammie,
When you say take out the 'pad', are you referring to the current insole? If so, yes, you should take that out. If you leave it in, there will be just too much 'stuff' in your shoe to be comfortable. I have done quite a bit of experimentation with orthotics, and leaving in the original insole is one of them. It was cool for about twenty minutes. It made me taller. But after that it started to feel very uncomfortable.

If your foot is really sore, you may want to cut your wearing time to about thirty minutes a day. Don't try to force yourself to wear them.

Did they cast your feet when the sore foot was swollen?
Richard, C.Ped

Re: Re:Thank u Richard

Tammie on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047019)

Hello,
Yes I am referring to the currant insole, as the Dr. had told me I might have to cut some out. I had the casting for the orthodics done before I had the surgery and at that time I did not have any swelling. Now I get swelling. It has been 3 weeks since surgery and my dr. seems to be insistant that I should be in shoes. But in same breath she says Listen to the pain and swelling. I to would like to wear my shoes as it is quite heavey and hot to wear this boot cast. My foot was very sore last night to the point it was keeping me awake with the pain. It was angry with me this morning also with the old morning cant walk pain , I put the boot cast on and I can at least walk,till it loosens up.Then if it does not swell to much I can put the shoe on and try it again I may try the 30 min. now can I ask u when u say 30 min to a hour does that mean if like I were resting it elevated ,or wahtever (not walking on it actually) is that included in the 30 min to a hour? Or start the time when I am on my feet allot? I am not always sure of what exactly directions mean that are given. I see the dr. next thursday and I know she is expecting me to walk in in shoes with the orthodic broken in. Frankly I am worried i will not be able to do this, I have been trying but seems to me that my foot is being very stubborn ,.Do u think a different shoe would be better? I have bought the reebox dmx on there recomendation and a orthopedic dr. I do also have a adidas shoe it says torsion on the bottom , they seem to be a little bit larger inside and deeper. I have been trying both as when my foot swells they seem to fit a bit better but dont seem like they have any support or maybe better words would be they are very stiff and dont bend as easy I walk witha very stiff gait in them . The reebox are more soft and seem to bend better my gait is not quite as stiff with them but my foot seems like it is not down in them like my heel is up to far,and I cant wear a heavy sock , My whole foot seems different shaped, although at times it does not appear to be swollen but does not fit any former shoes to just even sit there and try on? I am not walking in them mind u , just trying to see what fits. Maybe is swollen inside or I donk know the reason for this.Well I am going to try the orthodic again ina bit as I have to first get my foot to feel better it seems like it takes a few hours in am to get it moving in the boot cast then I can change to a shoe if no swelling. Thanks for info and I will try what u suggest. I am sorry if I ask to much or ramble I am just trying to figure this stuff out!!! Abig thank u again!!!

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 08:32 (047313)

Hello Richard ,
I posted to u above to,I am sorry to ask or whine so much , I dont know what to really do, I tryed what u have said with the half hour , I then moved to the hour well the pain was so bad I posted last night in surgery sec, to see what I could do. It is strange to me as it seems like it happens in evening , after a time that I wear my shoes with the orthodic, I tryed without it and I have trouble walking. Now this morning my foot is tender a bit but feels much better. I just dont get it? I hate to call a dr. now when it doesnt feel bad but my nighttime I will be in pain again. Do u think I should try a different type shoe? I have stated in above post the 2 pairs of shoes I do have , Do u think this could be related to the orthodics? When I have called the dr. before she thought I was trying to fast and to long with orthodics, I am not I know that now for sure. Thanks for any input and I am sorry for bringing this to u. Thanks

Richard, C.Ped on 5/10/01 at 08:54 (047317)

Tammie,
I am sorry you are having so much trouble with these things. You describe the pain as 'digging' into your arch. It may be that the arch are is a little too high. If you have a hard plastic orthosis where the bottom is rounded out and there are gaps everywhere if you place it on a flat desk, you may need the arch adjusted with a heat gun.

If there is material under the arch, you may need the arch sanded down a little.

This is the part where I would have to see you to really determine what is going on. Do get in touch with your doctor ASAP to let him/her know where the pain is at night.

If the shoe feels too tight with the orthosis in, you may have to get a wider shoe.

Some people have very sensitive feet. It very well may be that you have to cut your time down even more. I know it was just the other day when I replied to tell you to go to 30 minutes. Don't force youself to wear them. If your feet hurt after 30 minutes, don't go to an hour the next
day. You may have to try 15 minutes a day for a while. Try to wear them even if you are watching TV or reading. This still allows your feet to get the feel of them.

Check your feet for red spots in the arch. Does it look as though a blister is forming? If the pain persists, or gets worse, let your doctor know.

Keep me informed.
Richard

Re: Re:shoes and orthotics

Jason M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047324)

Tammie, When I first got my custom orthotics I bought a pair of Reebok DMX also to wear with them. I found that the DMX were simply not deep enough to accomodate the orthotic. I wore them anyway because I had just spent 80bucks on them. This went on for a couple of months and then I started having really bad ankle problems. Finally I wised up and went shoe shopping. I bought a pair of New Balance that were nice and deep and wide. They accomodated the orthotics very well and after a few months in the New Balance my ankle pain was completely gone. Those 6 mos. where my ankle was killing me probably could have been avoided if I'd just been more careful about what shoes I put my orthotics in. I'm not saying this is the case for anyone wearing DMX, but that's how it was for me. You said that you felt like your heels were up kind of high, well that's how if felt for me too, and very little ankle stability. Maybe you should try some shoes that fit your orthotics a little better. This probably doesn't help your immediate problem, but a few weeks down the road I would hate for you to have the ankle pain that I had. It was probably as bad as or worse than the PF pain (because it hurt all the time, not just when I was standing). Anyway, I'm sure you'll start feeling better soon. Feel free to email me if you'd like to chat. Good Luck!,
Jason