Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

the continuing saga.....

Posted by Claudia on 5/07/01 at 12:43 (046913)

well, i have not yet gotten my second opinion; saw the podiatrist today after a week of steroid therapy and his guess is that i have fibrous scar tissue on the bottom of my foot that will need to be surgically removed if i am ever to be pain free. i am having an MRI on friday to see exactly what the situation is. i guess NOW would be the PRIME TIME for that second opinion, eh? i mean before i let him do a second surgery. sigh.

Re: the continuing saga.....

wendyn on 5/07/01 at 13:34 (046917)

Claudia - why are you so reluctant to get the second opinion? If it's anything other than $$$ stopping you - I have trouble understanding how it will benefit to keep putting it off.

It can't hurt.

Pauline on 5/07/01 at 14:49 (046922)

I agree with Wendyn. I'd get a third if it meant I could avoid surgery.
At this point, you don't really know what the surgical outcome could hold for you. Most people posting on the surgery site seem to have more problems afterward. I wouldn't be so ready to have anyone start cutting.
Do lots of homework before any surgery to avoid having to do it afterwards.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/08/01 at 14:09 (047059)

Claudia,

I had emailed you information regarding a doctor that I recommended in your area, and I'm also wondering why you haven't gone for that second opinion. I definitely would not have any additional procedures done until you receive another opinion.

claudia to dr. wander on 5/08/01 at 18:18 (047085)

the reason i haven't gone for the second opinion is just that i don't really believe my podiatrist 'did something wrong' or was negligent in any way. actually i he feels very bad that this complication occurred. But I AM calling the second opinion doctor tomorrow because i WON'T have a second procedure done until i have a second opinion. i know from reading here that the shock wave treatment is a non-invasive way of treating scar tissue but i do not have the necessary funds to pursue this method. thanks for your support, as always.

wendyn on 5/08/01 at 19:46 (047095)

Claudia - it is not about 'being wrong' - or being negligent. It's not about assigning blame. I know you like your doctor. I like my doctor too - but he (my doctor) has made mistakes in the past too - he's only human. That doesn't mean he's an idiot - or wrong on everything. I still like him -and I still go to him.

You need a second opinion because:

1. Anyone considering surgery should get a second opinion.
2. You are not getting better.
3. Other than $$ - it can't hurt.

Please do not worry about hurting your doctor's feelings - they are YOUR feet (your life) - and it's HIS job. You might hire someone to give you an estimate on your car - maybe even a mechanic who's a friend. You still should get a second opinion!

If both opinions match - you will feel much more comfortable in the diagnosis and solutions offerred. If they don't match - then you will have to do some investigating.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/08/01 at 21:12 (047101)

There was a time that I would be hurt if someone went for a second opinon, now I want a patient to get one and many time tell the patient that two heads are better then one and I mean it . Sometime it takes two doctors two resolve one patients problem . Honest this is true and it sometimes take a doctor this experience to make himself a better more complete physician.

claudia, to wendyn and dr. z. on 5/09/01 at 07:23 (047128)

thank you both for illuminating things for me....i do appreciate it. makes sense too! today i call for the second opinion. i will let you know what happens. here's hoping i get this second opinion soon and that the two opinions match up!!!!! thanks again.

Re: the continuing saga...../I admire u for that message

Tammie on 5/09/01 at 08:08 (047132)

I really admire u for that message Dr. Z!!! That shows there is much expierance and maturity in you as a Dr. I wish more Dr.s would feel this way. It shows that U try very hard . I sometimes think that sometimes we try so hard to fix something we work and work and then someone fresh comes in might see something that we overlooked,while we were fixing the first problem.Which might just contribute to the first problem. Thanks for your comment as It makes me feel like there are good Dr.s out there.

claudia on 5/10/01 at 07:29 (047308)

i have scheduled the second opinion for friday may 18th...i will go ahead with the MRI tomorrow. still no one will help me with pain management! they both, internist and podiatrist, seem to think that the risk of addiction to vicodin is extremely high; i keep telling them both that i take one or two at NIGHT, i don't take them four times a day.......if i am on my feet alot i need pain relief at night! do i go to a pain clinic now? am i missing their point? nah....i'm just a person being made crazy by a protracted recovery from foot surgery and pain!!!!!

wendyn on 5/07/01 at 13:34 (046917)

Claudia - why are you so reluctant to get the second opinion? If it's anything other than $$$ stopping you - I have trouble understanding how it will benefit to keep putting it off.

It can't hurt.

Pauline on 5/07/01 at 14:49 (046922)

I agree with Wendyn. I'd get a third if it meant I could avoid surgery.
At this point, you don't really know what the surgical outcome could hold for you. Most people posting on the surgery site seem to have more problems afterward. I wouldn't be so ready to have anyone start cutting.
Do lots of homework before any surgery to avoid having to do it afterwards.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/08/01 at 14:09 (047059)

Claudia,

I had emailed you information regarding a doctor that I recommended in your area, and I'm also wondering why you haven't gone for that second opinion. I definitely would not have any additional procedures done until you receive another opinion.

claudia to dr. wander on 5/08/01 at 18:18 (047085)

the reason i haven't gone for the second opinion is just that i don't really believe my podiatrist 'did something wrong' or was negligent in any way. actually i he feels very bad that this complication occurred. But I AM calling the second opinion doctor tomorrow because i WON'T have a second procedure done until i have a second opinion. i know from reading here that the shock wave treatment is a non-invasive way of treating scar tissue but i do not have the necessary funds to pursue this method. thanks for your support, as always.

wendyn on 5/08/01 at 19:46 (047095)

Claudia - it is not about 'being wrong' - or being negligent. It's not about assigning blame. I know you like your doctor. I like my doctor too - but he (my doctor) has made mistakes in the past too - he's only human. That doesn't mean he's an idiot - or wrong on everything. I still like him -and I still go to him.

You need a second opinion because:

1. Anyone considering surgery should get a second opinion.
2. You are not getting better.
3. Other than $$ - it can't hurt.

Please do not worry about hurting your doctor's feelings - they are YOUR feet (your life) - and it's HIS job. You might hire someone to give you an estimate on your car - maybe even a mechanic who's a friend. You still should get a second opinion!

If both opinions match - you will feel much more comfortable in the diagnosis and solutions offerred. If they don't match - then you will have to do some investigating.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/08/01 at 21:12 (047101)

There was a time that I would be hurt if someone went for a second opinon, now I want a patient to get one and many time tell the patient that two heads are better then one and I mean it . Sometime it takes two doctors two resolve one patients problem . Honest this is true and it sometimes take a doctor this experience to make himself a better more complete physician.

claudia, to wendyn and dr. z. on 5/09/01 at 07:23 (047128)

thank you both for illuminating things for me....i do appreciate it. makes sense too! today i call for the second opinion. i will let you know what happens. here's hoping i get this second opinion soon and that the two opinions match up!!!!! thanks again.

Re: the continuing saga...../I admire u for that message

Tammie on 5/09/01 at 08:08 (047132)

I really admire u for that message Dr. Z!!! That shows there is much expierance and maturity in you as a Dr. I wish more Dr.s would feel this way. It shows that U try very hard . I sometimes think that sometimes we try so hard to fix something we work and work and then someone fresh comes in might see something that we overlooked,while we were fixing the first problem.Which might just contribute to the first problem. Thanks for your comment as It makes me feel like there are good Dr.s out there.

claudia on 5/10/01 at 07:29 (047308)

i have scheduled the second opinion for friday may 18th...i will go ahead with the MRI tomorrow. still no one will help me with pain management! they both, internist and podiatrist, seem to think that the risk of addiction to vicodin is extremely high; i keep telling them both that i take one or two at NIGHT, i don't take them four times a day.......if i am on my feet alot i need pain relief at night! do i go to a pain clinic now? am i missing their point? nah....i'm just a person being made crazy by a protracted recovery from foot surgery and pain!!!!!