Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery on bottom of foot for scar tissue

Posted by Elaine on 5/08/01 at 07:37 (047014)

Hello. I had EPF six months ago and have been have recurring pain in the bottom of my foot which my foot doctor (ortho.) has told me, after testing, is scar tissue that must be surgically removed. Can anyone tell me what the recovery time is like for surgery on the bottom of a foot? Recovery from EPF was not easy for me that is why I am asking. THank you.

Re: surgery on bottom of foot for scar tissue

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047069)

Another option is ESWT. This is a non-invasive shockwave procedure that is very effective for resolving complications such as you are describing.

Is your pain at the insertion of the plantar fascia ? If you would like additional information about this procedure feel free to ask me.

Elaine on 5/08/01 at 18:14 (047084)

Dr. Zuckerman, thank you very much and can you please describe this procedure to me? How does it resolve the scar tissue situation? Thanks again.

Dr.Zuckerman on 5/08/01 at 20:39 (047098)

If the pain is at the insertion then it is due to the lack of healing of the tissues at that insertional area. So the shockwave injury the specific area and allow the body to stimulate new tissue growth. I am making the assumption that your scar tissue is where the plantar fascia attaches to the bottom of the heel itself. With an EPF the fascia is cut not at the insertion but at the an area in front of the heel bone. So you can still have pain where the fibers are torn away from the point where the fascia inserts into the heel bone. So this is why some EPF surgeries fail. The fascia is cut but the insertional portion is still not healed. I have performed a few ESWT procedures for failed EPF surgeries, with resolution of heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047069)

Another option is ESWT. This is a non-invasive shockwave procedure that is very effective for resolving complications such as you are describing.

Is your pain at the insertion of the plantar fascia ? If you would like additional information about this procedure feel free to ask me.

Elaine on 5/08/01 at 18:14 (047084)

Dr. Zuckerman, thank you very much and can you please describe this procedure to me? How does it resolve the scar tissue situation? Thanks again.

Dr.Zuckerman on 5/08/01 at 20:39 (047098)

If the pain is at the insertion then it is due to the lack of healing of the tissues at that insertional area. So the shockwave injury the specific area and allow the body to stimulate new tissue growth. I am making the assumption that your scar tissue is where the plantar fascia attaches to the bottom of the heel itself. With an EPF the fascia is cut not at the insertion but at the an area in front of the heel bone. So you can still have pain where the fibers are torn away from the point where the fascia inserts into the heel bone. So this is why some EPF surgeries fail. The fascia is cut but the insertional portion is still not healed. I have performed a few ESWT procedures for failed EPF surgeries, with resolution of heel pain