Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post-op tomorrow--may have a problem

Posted by Susan U on 5/08/01 at 12:59 (047050)

I had my stitches removed after 2 weeks. My recovery is going great except there was quite a bit of oozing from the incision once the stitches were removed and it opened up almost completely. I figured it would stop oozing, but it didn't. It started to get worse and had a horrible smell. I went to see my dr. yesterday. He looked at it really closely and cleaned it out with peroxide--digging in--YIKES! Anyway, he put me on an antibiotic and wrapped my foot back up with gauze pads and padding and an ace bandage. He said to change the gauze once or twice a day and keep it wrapped up. If it gets worse, I am to call him right away. He wants to see me next week to see how it's going. If it's still oozing, he says we have to go back into the operating room and clean it out. I'm not worried, but I just thought I'd give the rest of you the heads-up.

Other than that, I can take a few steps without using my cane and only have the same pain I had prior to surgery. One thing I have been noticing, however, when I flex my foot to give it some exercise, I have a pulling sensation in the bottom of the heel. I figure this is just the tendon, so I didn't even remember to mention it to my dr. Other than that, things are going about how I expected.

Talk to you all again soon.

Re: 4 weeks post-op tomorrow--may have a problem

Pauline on 5/09/01 at 19:03 (047241)

Susan,
I have to take exception with your statement that things are pretty much
like you expected. Did you really expect oozing and a horrible smell
from your 2 week old surgery. If you did I think you need to start expecting more. Please for your sake keep close attention on your wound
and call immediately if it does not improve. You deserve better than an oozing smelly wound.

Scott R on 5/09/01 at 19:44 (047247)

Susan, don't pay any attention to Pauline. She's like that.

DR. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 21:10 (047258)

May take a two days for the antibiotic to kick in . Just watch for redness, increase pain. Take your temperature a few time daily. Very important to rest as you already know.

JudyS on 5/09/01 at 23:17 (047274)

Susan, I see that you said 'other than that' ( other than the infection, I assume?) when you stated things were pretty much as you expected. This is good news for you and for any of us who want to know about surgery. I'm so sorry to hear about the infection, though. We know that that is always a risk with an incision. Now be sure to keep your foot rested and be sure to be religious about taking that anitbiotic - all the way to its end! (what can I say, it's Mother's Day time and I don't have my sons around right now to boss around!).
Good luck and keep us informed, OK?

lorib on 5/10/01 at 06:22 (047301)

I had open pf surgery 01-2000 and tts on 08-2000 both times my incesion opened after the stiches where removed. i had to stay on crutches while my doc cleaned out the wound. no weight bearing at all. after the second time
my doc said i had a reaction to the stiches. iiiii work in a hospital and now the docs are complaining about the type of stiches i had (vicro) they are haveing problems with this in all kinds of surgeries

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 20:14 (047396)

Can anyone tell me why doctors don't automaticly give a round of antibiotis when they do surgery? It only makes sense to me. I know it's not good to take them too often, but in most case I don't think people are having surgery more than once a year.

BCG

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 21:59 (047408)

My guess is that it's the old 'risks vs benefits'. I'd like to hear doctor input.

Antibiotics always carry a risk - my son had a very severe reaction to one...and I suppose in some cases the doctors feel that the risk of infection is small enough to warrant not using the antibiotics. If my son has a surgical procedure I'm pretty sure they will want to avoid antibitotics if at all possible in his case.

Usually if an infection does start - you know pretty quick.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/11/01 at 20:29 (047537)

If you were to get a post op infection, while/after taking antibiotics, it would likely be from a bug that is much harder to cure and would require more toxic antibiotics.

john h on 5/12/01 at 18:36 (047612)

seems to me when i had foot surgery there was an IV pumping some anti biotics into my veins.

Debbie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048788)

Susan,
I also have a pulling sensation now that you mention it in my foot also. I'm curious to hear what your Dr. says about that. Also I can hardly arch my foot anymore.

Pauline on 5/09/01 at 19:03 (047241)

Susan,
I have to take exception with your statement that things are pretty much
like you expected. Did you really expect oozing and a horrible smell
from your 2 week old surgery. If you did I think you need to start expecting more. Please for your sake keep close attention on your wound
and call immediately if it does not improve. You deserve better than an oozing smelly wound.

Scott R on 5/09/01 at 19:44 (047247)

Susan, don't pay any attention to Pauline. She's like that.

DR. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 21:10 (047258)

May take a two days for the antibiotic to kick in . Just watch for redness, increase pain. Take your temperature a few time daily. Very important to rest as you already know.

JudyS on 5/09/01 at 23:17 (047274)

Susan, I see that you said 'other than that' ( other than the infection, I assume?) when you stated things were pretty much as you expected. This is good news for you and for any of us who want to know about surgery. I'm so sorry to hear about the infection, though. We know that that is always a risk with an incision. Now be sure to keep your foot rested and be sure to be religious about taking that anitbiotic - all the way to its end! (what can I say, it's Mother's Day time and I don't have my sons around right now to boss around!).
Good luck and keep us informed, OK?

lorib on 5/10/01 at 06:22 (047301)

I had open pf surgery 01-2000 and tts on 08-2000 both times my incesion opened after the stiches where removed. i had to stay on crutches while my doc cleaned out the wound. no weight bearing at all. after the second time
my doc said i had a reaction to the stiches. iiiii work in a hospital and now the docs are complaining about the type of stiches i had (vicro) they are haveing problems with this in all kinds of surgeries

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 20:14 (047396)

Can anyone tell me why doctors don't automaticly give a round of antibiotis when they do surgery? It only makes sense to me. I know it's not good to take them too often, but in most case I don't think people are having surgery more than once a year.

BCG

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 21:59 (047408)

My guess is that it's the old 'risks vs benefits'. I'd like to hear doctor input.

Antibiotics always carry a risk - my son had a very severe reaction to one...and I suppose in some cases the doctors feel that the risk of infection is small enough to warrant not using the antibiotics. If my son has a surgical procedure I'm pretty sure they will want to avoid antibitotics if at all possible in his case.

Usually if an infection does start - you know pretty quick.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/11/01 at 20:29 (047537)

If you were to get a post op infection, while/after taking antibiotics, it would likely be from a bug that is much harder to cure and would require more toxic antibiotics.

john h on 5/12/01 at 18:36 (047612)

seems to me when i had foot surgery there was an IV pumping some anti biotics into my veins.

Debbie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048788)

Susan,
I also have a pulling sensation now that you mention it in my foot also. I'm curious to hear what your Dr. says about that. Also I can hardly arch my foot anymore.