Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Barb-NY

Posted by Hi everyone on 5/08/01 at 13:02 (047051)

Hi all...I've been off the boards for a few weeks, trying to get my head in a better place, after a death in the family. It's been truly an emotional and physical roller coaster.

My husband and I had to spend a few days at a relative's house on an air mattress. The mattress was bad enough, but she must have the hardest floors in the new world. Harder than Costco! Harder than Home Depot! Even though I wore my runnning shoes constantly and walked very little in her house, my feet reacted with the worst set-back I've had in recent memory. I'm sure my emotional exhaustion also took a toll on my poor feet. Only rest and ice have gotten me back to where I was before the funeral.

This PF stuff has been a drag, but what made it really hit home was that I had to wear running shoes to church and the funeral. I felt so bad about that. I know nobody was looking at my feet, they had other things on their minds. But, it made me feel bad that I couldn't dress appropriately. Now I have to go to a Bar Mitzvah next week. Running shoes in temple!

I received an orthotic script from Dr. Z (thank you Dr. Z), but have not yet been able to fill it. I hope to do so either this week or next.

Re: Hi everyone

Barb-NY on 5/08/01 at 13:05 (047052)

Name and subject reversal...I haven't posted in so long, I forgot how to do it.

Nancy N on 5/08/01 at 14:03 (047058)

Hey, Barb! It's good to hear from you, though I'm sorry to hear about your setback. As for the formal occasions, I'm wondering--could you get a pair of black sneakers and at least camouflage the problem that way?

Beverly on 5/08/01 at 17:25 (047077)

Hi Barb,

First, let me say we're glad to see you back, and how sorry I am to hear about the death in your family. Besides those hard floors, I'm wondering if
the general stress of a funeral wore you down. I have to be very careful at family functions or I soon discover that I've been on my feet way too much... visiting...

I can certainly empathize with you over funky shoes with dress clothes at church/temple. Back before my feet finally got the better of me, I was still on staff in my church. Picture white vestments with running shoes... white vestments with Birks! It used to bother me, but now that I'm getting ready to try orthopedic shoes, I figure it's just time to say, 'Who cares if these shoes are ugly if they help.
Take care,
Beverly

Barb-NY on 5/08/01 at 21:40 (047105)

I thought about black running shoes. The ONLY shoes I can wear now are New Balance 852s. They only come in white. It's looks like I might have to try on some different models to find something that works. Women's running shoes usually only come in one color and that color is usually white (with a color trim). What I'm really hoping is that when I get the orthotics (assuming they work out) that I can then begin to wear other types of shoes.

Barb-NY on 5/08/01 at 21:49 (047106)

Thanks for the welcome...although I wish it were under better circumstance. I know the stress of the funeral did take a major toll on my feet. But those floors were something else. I cannot imagine ever living in a house like that.

Laurie R on 5/08/01 at 23:38 (047112)

Hi Barb, Good to hear from you. I'm very sorry for your loss..Don't ever worry about waring sneakers .I wear my everywhere. Last summer we gave a big birthday party for my cousin and I thought I was being cute by wearing a skirt and high heels ,I've been paying for it ever since..... I hope you feel better. Laurie R

Re: Barb-NY

Julie on 5/09/01 at 01:48 (047118)

Welcome back, Barb, and my sympathies. There is a post over (I think) on the Treatments board from a new lady who found the old (feb/March) posts on MSM and is asking how we got on. You might like to respond - I've told her it has made no difference to me, but knew you had had a result.

NO-ONE looks at your feet. And if by chance they do - too bad. Enjoy the Bar Mitzvah.

JudyS on 5/09/01 at 09:22 (047137)

Hey Barb - good to see your name 'up in lights' again! I just wanted to mention that I met a woman at a party the other day who, like me, has had PF for 3years. She said she found a style of Easy Spirit shoes that relieve her symptoms quite a bit. The ones she showed me are half-high boots and she wears long skirts with them most of the time or long pants. They're reasonably attractive.

BrianG on 5/09/01 at 20:09 (047249)

Hi Barb,

There are black Nike Air's, made for ref's at athletic events. The model MIGHT be 000406 LN3. Kind of hard to read the tag. I wear a pair to work daily. Also, BA Mason makes some pretty good shoes, 800-422-1000 for a catalog.

BCG

Barb-NY on 5/09/01 at 21:01 (047256)

Thanks Brian. The only problem is that I wear wide shoes. I don't think Nike makes wide sizes, though I could be wrong.

Barb-NY on 5/10/01 at 20:38 (047401)

You guys have indeed made me feel a lot better. Worrying about how my sneakers look seems silly compared to the other problems this wonderful condition has given me. I will proudly wear my sneakers to the Bar Mitzvah and if anybody doesn't like it...tough!

I have to say my feet have really been feeling pretty good the last week or so. This lack of bad (read:rain) weather in NY has been wonderful for my feet and other painful joints, although my lawn could use the water.

Barb-NY on 5/08/01 at 13:05 (047052)

Name and subject reversal...I haven't posted in so long, I forgot how to do it.

Nancy N on 5/08/01 at 14:03 (047058)

Hey, Barb! It's good to hear from you, though I'm sorry to hear about your setback. As for the formal occasions, I'm wondering--could you get a pair of black sneakers and at least camouflage the problem that way?

Beverly on 5/08/01 at 17:25 (047077)

Hi Barb,

First, let me say we're glad to see you back, and how sorry I am to hear about the death in your family. Besides those hard floors, I'm wondering if
the general stress of a funeral wore you down. I have to be very careful at family functions or I soon discover that I've been on my feet way too much... visiting...

I can certainly empathize with you over funky shoes with dress clothes at church/temple. Back before my feet finally got the better of me, I was still on staff in my church. Picture white vestments with running shoes... white vestments with Birks! It used to bother me, but now that I'm getting ready to try orthopedic shoes, I figure it's just time to say, 'Who cares if these shoes are ugly if they help.
Take care,
Beverly

Barb-NY on 5/08/01 at 21:40 (047105)

I thought about black running shoes. The ONLY shoes I can wear now are New Balance 852s. They only come in white. It's looks like I might have to try on some different models to find something that works. Women's running shoes usually only come in one color and that color is usually white (with a color trim). What I'm really hoping is that when I get the orthotics (assuming they work out) that I can then begin to wear other types of shoes.

Barb-NY on 5/08/01 at 21:49 (047106)

Thanks for the welcome...although I wish it were under better circumstance. I know the stress of the funeral did take a major toll on my feet. But those floors were something else. I cannot imagine ever living in a house like that.

Laurie R on 5/08/01 at 23:38 (047112)

Hi Barb, Good to hear from you. I'm very sorry for your loss..Don't ever worry about waring sneakers .I wear my everywhere. Last summer we gave a big birthday party for my cousin and I thought I was being cute by wearing a skirt and high heels ,I've been paying for it ever since..... I hope you feel better. Laurie R

Julie on 5/09/01 at 01:48 (047118)

Welcome back, Barb, and my sympathies. There is a post over (I think) on the Treatments board from a new lady who found the old (feb/March) posts on MSM and is asking how we got on. You might like to respond - I've told her it has made no difference to me, but knew you had had a result.

NO-ONE looks at your feet. And if by chance they do - too bad. Enjoy the Bar Mitzvah.

JudyS on 5/09/01 at 09:22 (047137)

Hey Barb - good to see your name 'up in lights' again! I just wanted to mention that I met a woman at a party the other day who, like me, has had PF for 3years. She said she found a style of Easy Spirit shoes that relieve her symptoms quite a bit. The ones she showed me are half-high boots and she wears long skirts with them most of the time or long pants. They're reasonably attractive.

BrianG on 5/09/01 at 20:09 (047249)

Hi Barb,

There are black Nike Air's, made for ref's at athletic events. The model MIGHT be 000406 LN3. Kind of hard to read the tag. I wear a pair to work daily. Also, BA Mason makes some pretty good shoes, 800-422-1000 for a catalog.

BCG

Barb-NY on 5/09/01 at 21:01 (047256)

Thanks Brian. The only problem is that I wear wide shoes. I don't think Nike makes wide sizes, though I could be wrong.

Barb-NY on 5/10/01 at 20:38 (047401)

You guys have indeed made me feel a lot better. Worrying about how my sneakers look seems silly compared to the other problems this wonderful condition has given me. I will proudly wear my sneakers to the Bar Mitzvah and if anybody doesn't like it...tough!

I have to say my feet have really been feeling pretty good the last week or so. This lack of bad (read:rain) weather in NY has been wonderful for my feet and other painful joints, although my lawn could use the water.