Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

now what?

Posted by Dona on 5/08/01 at 17:42 (047080)

I had the cortisone shot for heel spur in right foot at the beginning of April. I've bought Rockport tennis shoes, Birkenstock sandals, and will be picking up the orthotics next week. My foot has been feeling pretty good recently, which was wonderful. Today, however, I simply stepped down on it and had a sensation of walking on pins & needles on the heel area. Immediately after, I had pain in the ankle joint, itself, and along the heel area whenever I put weight on it. I could turn my foot every-which way and there was no pain, as long as I didn't put weight on it. As the day wore on, there was a dull, radiating pain up the leg bone to my knee, and now it feels as though the fascia that runs across the underside of the heel is very tight and painful. It *feels* as though my ankle/lower leg should be tight and swollen, but it's not at all. What on earth have I done now, and will it go away on its own??? (I already take Vioxx for the knees.) Thanks for any help.
Dona

Re: now what? A tricky question

Cynthia D on 5/09/01 at 21:25 (047262)

Hi, I guess we're all 'stumped'. Can you get in to see your doctor before you walk too much more? Is it better today? (I'm not a doc, but saw your post wasn't yet answered.) Maybe the new orthotics will help. Good luck.

Dona on 5/09/01 at 22:42 (047271)

Thanks, Cynthia...it is better today. Still hurts to walk on it. *Funny* thing is, it's the ankle joint, itself, and not the heel area that hurts. It feels better if I walk towards the outer edge of my foot, so that's what I'm doing for now. It just seems like it's always something, so I'd rather wait to see what happens before trying to make another appointment. Getting in to the dr around here is like pulling teeth: excruciatingly slow and something I'll put off till I have to. :)
Dona

Cynthia D on 5/10/01 at 13:42 (047363)

Just be careful walking on the side of your foot. I added to the problem walking on the sides of my feet. Until you see your doc, can you use crutches? I would help to keep the weight off them for a while. I'm glad it's better today. :)

Cynthia D on 5/09/01 at 21:25 (047262)

Hi, I guess we're all 'stumped'. Can you get in to see your doctor before you walk too much more? Is it better today? (I'm not a doc, but saw your post wasn't yet answered.) Maybe the new orthotics will help. Good luck.

Dona on 5/09/01 at 22:42 (047271)

Thanks, Cynthia...it is better today. Still hurts to walk on it. *Funny* thing is, it's the ankle joint, itself, and not the heel area that hurts. It feels better if I walk towards the outer edge of my foot, so that's what I'm doing for now. It just seems like it's always something, so I'd rather wait to see what happens before trying to make another appointment. Getting in to the dr around here is like pulling teeth: excruciatingly slow and something I'll put off till I have to. :)
Dona

Cynthia D on 5/10/01 at 13:42 (047363)

Just be careful walking on the side of your foot. I added to the problem walking on the sides of my feet. Until you see your doc, can you use crutches? I would help to keep the weight off them for a while. I'm glad it's better today. :)