Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help. no relief from tts surgery.

Posted by brenda on 5/08/01 at 20:25 (047096)

I am an active 30 year old woman who has been treated by a podiatrist, 2 orthopesists who specialize in feet and a neurologist in the last 4 years for extreme foot pain. I had the heel spur surgery after 2 years of treatment ranging from cortizone injections, orthodics and meds to no avail then was refered to 2 orthopedists who both gave the tts opinion and after trying casting for 8 weeks and nerve meds decided to do the surgery in Dec of 2000. Now I am in as much pain if not more than before. I work as a restaurant manager so I am on my feet much of the day. I am quite frustrated due to the pain up the front of my calf (on the bony part) and the pain in and around my ankle. I just don't know what else to do and all they say is sometimes this doesn't work and that's all they can do. Just wondering if that is true or if there are other options. Sorry about the length of this post. Thank you for reading. Brenda

Re: help. no relief from tts surgery.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 21:15 (047260)

This is a tough one. Sometimes you can get a neuroma from the surgery. Maybe a consideration for a re-operation to see if this is the problem. Does a local injection of an anesthetic relieve the pain .

Pauline on 5/10/01 at 00:08 (047279)

Brenda,
I'm sorry I do not have a concrete answer for you, but my way of thinking is that you can leave things as they are or make a change. Every decision has pros and cons. If you leave things the way they are you pretty much know what to expect. On the other hand if you make a change you face the unknown and have to do something. That something might possibly mean seeing another doctor or several doctors to see if you can get some relief. This decision is not without its trade offs because it will cost you both time and money. No one really enjoys spending either of these, but in this case I think you may have to give it some consideration. If you are getting no help or relief from your current doctors you may have to go elsewhere. This is a decision only you can make. I wish you the very best and hope what ever road you take will lead you to recovery. It is my intend that this posting not harm or offend you in any way.

Brenda on 5/18/01 at 21:46 (048249)

I have not had a pain med injection as of yet. I have had the steroid injections however and don't know that i am willing to repeat that kind of fun without some kind of a guarantee that it will help. Thank you for responding.

Dr. Zuckeman on 5/19/01 at 07:17 (048254)

The reason that I memtioned the local anesthetic use was for diagnostic use. It can determine if there is a neuroma if the pain goes away with the injection. If it doesn't then the problem may not be a local problem

Brenda on 5/21/01 at 21:31 (048520)

Thank you Dr. Z. I wasn't sure, but if it will help identify the problem more precisely then more power to it. Thanks again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 21:15 (047260)

This is a tough one. Sometimes you can get a neuroma from the surgery. Maybe a consideration for a re-operation to see if this is the problem. Does a local injection of an anesthetic relieve the pain .

Pauline on 5/10/01 at 00:08 (047279)

Brenda,
I'm sorry I do not have a concrete answer for you, but my way of thinking is that you can leave things as they are or make a change. Every decision has pros and cons. If you leave things the way they are you pretty much know what to expect. On the other hand if you make a change you face the unknown and have to do something. That something might possibly mean seeing another doctor or several doctors to see if you can get some relief. This decision is not without its trade offs because it will cost you both time and money. No one really enjoys spending either of these, but in this case I think you may have to give it some consideration. If you are getting no help or relief from your current doctors you may have to go elsewhere. This is a decision only you can make. I wish you the very best and hope what ever road you take will lead you to recovery. It is my intend that this posting not harm or offend you in any way.

Brenda on 5/18/01 at 21:46 (048249)

I have not had a pain med injection as of yet. I have had the steroid injections however and don't know that i am willing to repeat that kind of fun without some kind of a guarantee that it will help. Thank you for responding.

Dr. Zuckeman on 5/19/01 at 07:17 (048254)

The reason that I memtioned the local anesthetic use was for diagnostic use. It can determine if there is a neuroma if the pain goes away with the injection. If it doesn't then the problem may not be a local problem

Brenda on 5/21/01 at 21:31 (048520)

Thank you Dr. Z. I wasn't sure, but if it will help identify the problem more precisely then more power to it. Thanks again.