Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankle pain still

Posted by Diana B. on 5/09/01 at 00:13 (047114)

Hello Doctors, I had a full release in Sept. 2000. My heel pain is gone, but I still have ankle pain. I have had 3 injections of cortisone in the ankle which helps for about 3 weeks, along with that I take 200mgs of Celebrex bid. My range of motion is very poor, and my ankle clicks when I rotate it. With the celebrex, my ankle pain is tolerable. My question is how long can I stay on this med. and can I ever dream of walking without it. I am not very disciplined in taking meds. so I do miss doses often. Thanks for your time.

Re: Ankle pain still

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 12:56 (047189)

I have found a few patients have ankle problems that show up afte the pf release. Has your doctor talked about what is going on inside the ankle.
The pf surgery should be healing pretty well by now.

An ankle brace is good. Celebrex is very good. I like vioxx. Should have kidney /liver testing on to just make sure everything is working ok. Many arthritic patient have beenon NSAID for years. Try to only take when necessary if possible,.

Camillia Johnson on 6/20/01 at hrmin (051084)

I am a 37 year old woman in good health. I fractured my ankle almost two year ago and on xrays I still show a hairline fracture that never healed. Since then I have had cortisone shots every 8 weeks. This usually helps for the first 3 maybe 4 weeks. After wards my ankle usually hurts. The pain is tolerable but I am unable to put full pressure on in first thing in the morning or sometimes when I sit for a long period of time. I do not feel as though I have full use and sometimes limit myself to activites due to me thinking that I might injuring it again. My doctor said that there was presence of scar tissue shown also on the MRI. My question is how long should I take these shots? What is the possible short and long term side affects. I was taking 800mg of ibuproben, but now I have stopped due to stomach problems and I am uneasy about celebrex. Do you have any suggestions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 12:56 (047189)

I have found a few patients have ankle problems that show up afte the pf release. Has your doctor talked about what is going on inside the ankle.
The pf surgery should be healing pretty well by now.

An ankle brace is good. Celebrex is very good. I like vioxx. Should have kidney /liver testing on to just make sure everything is working ok. Many arthritic patient have beenon NSAID for years. Try to only take when necessary if possible,.

Camillia Johnson on 6/20/01 at hrmin (051084)

I am a 37 year old woman in good health. I fractured my ankle almost two year ago and on xrays I still show a hairline fracture that never healed. Since then I have had cortisone shots every 8 weeks. This usually helps for the first 3 maybe 4 weeks. After wards my ankle usually hurts. The pain is tolerable but I am unable to put full pressure on in first thing in the morning or sometimes when I sit for a long period of time. I do not feel as though I have full use and sometimes limit myself to activites due to me thinking that I might injuring it again. My doctor said that there was presence of scar tissue shown also on the MRI. My question is how long should I take these shots? What is the possible short and long term side affects. I was taking 800mg of ibuproben, but now I have stopped due to stomach problems and I am uneasy about celebrex. Do you have any suggestions.