Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur on back of heel

Posted by Greg W. on 5/09/01 at 12:12 (047180)

I have a heel spur on the back of each foot, underneath where the Achilles tendon attaches. My podiatrist said that an orthodic would not help. Has anyone been treated for a bone spur in this area? What treatment was used? Did it help? Do bone spurs eventually disappear? I developed these after about a year of running. I have run with them for about a year now but the pain is constant, so I am stopping completely now for a month or so to see what happens.

Re: Heel Spur on back of heel

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 12:29 (047181)

Our office has used ESWT for this when the pain is chronic and is located at the insertion where the achilles tendon go into the back of the heel.

This was a very difficult problem to resolve before, ESWT cames along

Surgery for this problem is very complcated and involved the cutting of the achilles tendon with a very long non-weight bearing healing time.

IF you have any specific questions about ESWT just let me know.

Denise D. on 5/10/01 at 00:54 (047281)

I have been suffering with heel pain for about 3 months, I went to see a Podiatrist yesterday, he took x-rays and discovered a heel spur on my left foot. He gave me 3 injections in the side of my heel, not Cortizone but a synthetic steroid, they did not hurt at all, I was told by several people that the shots can be very painful, but he numbed my foot first and I didn't feel a thing. So far it feels much better, time will tell if it's going to work. I do have a little burning sensation on the back of my heel, but It doesn't last long. To anyone suffering with painful heel spurs, I strongly suggest the injections, and if you go to a good Dr. he will numb your foot. As for me, surgery will be a last resort. Sure hope my information has been helpful

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 12:29 (047181)

Our office has used ESWT for this when the pain is chronic and is located at the insertion where the achilles tendon go into the back of the heel.

This was a very difficult problem to resolve before, ESWT cames along

Surgery for this problem is very complcated and involved the cutting of the achilles tendon with a very long non-weight bearing healing time.

IF you have any specific questions about ESWT just let me know.

Denise D. on 5/10/01 at 00:54 (047281)

I have been suffering with heel pain for about 3 months, I went to see a Podiatrist yesterday, he took x-rays and discovered a heel spur on my left foot. He gave me 3 injections in the side of my heel, not Cortizone but a synthetic steroid, they did not hurt at all, I was told by several people that the shots can be very painful, but he numbed my foot first and I didn't feel a thing. So far it feels much better, time will tell if it's going to work. I do have a little burning sensation on the back of my heel, but It doesn't last long. To anyone suffering with painful heel spurs, I strongly suggest the injections, and if you go to a good Dr. he will numb your foot. As for me, surgery will be a last resort. Sure hope my information has been helpful