Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) is working!

Posted by Celia on 5/09/01 at 15:10 (047204)

Hello gang! I know it's been a while since I've posted anything. I was starting to lose faith and was becoming extremely depressed that I wouldn't even answer phone calls, but am proud to share that A.R.T. is working for me!! It was hard finding a chiropractor who even knew what A.R.T. meant. That alone was a confirmation that they weren't certified so be very careful when shopping around for one who's certified in A.R.T. I found a chirporactor who is doing A.R.T. combined with deep-tissue massage along my feet, achilles and calves and boy is he doing wonders for me! He's been able to find scar tissue in my legs and feet and breaking them up while he's been adjusting me. Apparently I have sciatica also which was affecting my lower extremities. He said NO HEAT and ice is better when we have a chronic condition. I would highly recommend A.R.T. for anyone who has problems with PF, pain in achilles and calves. He told me that at one point I might have strained my muscles and they healed badly. I believe that because in the process of over-exerting myself with running in the mornings, rollerblading afterwards, hiking in the afternoons, etc., I guess I never gave my legs and feet a break. I pretty much abused my body which has led me to this point. After having this problem for three loooooong years, I can honestly say that it's been 5 visits with him and he's put a smile on my face again. There is hope now. Not to mention he's a CUTIE-PATOOTIE!! HA! I plan to propose to him soon! It makes seeing him three times a week fun and worthwhile!!

Re: Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) is working!

Pauline on 5/09/01 at 16:23 (047210)

Great to hear your good news and better to know that you won't have to be married in your running shoes. Let us know your date. Thank (Art) he brought you together.

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 03:46 (047293)

Celia,

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. I think ART is great too. I've had nine sessions to date, and can't believe the good results so far. They say the normal amount of sessions needed is only 6 to 12 for PF, but I'll probably need a lot more. In additon to PF, I have confirmed lateral plantar nerve entrapment in both feet, including one of the branches, and the chiro said there is some peroneal nerve entrapment, but he feels he will be able to get rid of all of it. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) He's reduced a lot of the nerve pain already. The rest of my feet, lower legs, ankles, etc. feel a thousand times better, and my achilles and peroneal tendonitis is gone. Also there has been an astonishing improvement in my gait. I'm only going twice a week, but I heard it's even more effective if you go three times a week in the beginning like you are. Also, my chiro says no caffine, but I need that morning buzz. I also just starting taking Vioxx last week, and that's helping too.

I wonder if one of the entry requirments for chiropractor school is to be handsome? My chiro is a CUTIE-PA-TOOTIE too!!

Donna

Ann M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047360)

How do I find a chiropractor who practices this ART? I live in the Baltimore area.

Mahoney on 5/10/01 at 14:49 (047366)

How did you find someone who practices ART? I live in Arizona.

Celia on 5/10/01 at 16:02 (047375)

What I did was look thru the chirporactic listings in the yellow pages. I also got some references from co-workers. I gave each one of them a phone call (the ones closes to me first) and inquired about Active Release Therapy. You'd be amazed how many chiropractors don't know what the heck you're talking about! You'll know if someone is certified. When you go to their office, ask for their certification and a free consultation. Good luck!

Donna, I'm so glad that A.R.T. has worked for you. Since I've had this problem for three years, I do agree that it'll take a couple more visits and it's worth every penny to me because, like I've said, he's a cutie! Yesterday he dug into my calves and felt a lot of knots. I was nearly in tears, but he applied some ice packs on them afterwards and today I'm wearing my heels at work!! I will definitely not take advantage of that, though. I'm being really careful, but I'm happy to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Do you give yourself treatments at home? I just can't because I guess my hands aren't that strong. They get tired right away. I can't wait until he gets rid of that pain in my nerve along my left ankle. That thing keeps creeping up on me. I also had a nerve conduction test and it appeared that all was okay, but my doctor is convinced that I have a nerve entrapment somewhere.

BrianJ on 5/10/01 at 16:12 (047376)

Actually, ART stands for 'Active Release Techniques' (i.e., the last word is 'techniques,' not 'therapy'). An internet search using the correct phrase should help you locate providers in your area. Hope this helps.

Re: ART web site address Re: Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) is working!

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 17:13 (047382)

Here's the website again that I posted previously. I didn't realize it was called active release technique until I looked at it again.

http://www.activerelease.com/

Donna

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 17:32 (047385)

Hi Celia,

I could never do what they do. Their hands are so strong. I think it has a lot to do with the technique. Lots of thumb work! Also, I think you would have to be a contortionist. They are moving the foot, ankle, etc, why they are doing a lot of the manipulations. I'm either on my stomach or back when he's doing them. My chiro has been pretty gentle though in most of his manipulations. Is your chiro certified in lower body? Just curious.

I did a lot of postings on ART in April, if you do a seach on Active Release Therapy, or ART you should see them. (I just noticed it's called technique instead)

Have you tried Vioxx? The neurolgist I saw said I should have been on that a long time ago, and was very surprised no one suggested it.

Donna

Celia to Donna on 5/11/01 at 15:33 (047508)

Unfortunately my doctor never wants to give me VIOXX. Time to change doctors, huh?

My chiro isn't certified in lower extremeties. It was hard enough finding a chiro out here who understands what A.R.T. means! When he treats me, we're both sitting down and he places my feet on his legs while he yanks at them, twists them around and digs deep into my feet. Could that mean he likes me, too? HA!!!

I'll do a search for your A.R.T. info. Have a good weekend!

Re: To Celia Re: Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) is working!

Donna SL on 5/11/01 at 16:38 (047512)

Celia,

Sounds like love! Ha Ha. Your feet on his legs? Hmm.... I'm getting ready to leave to go for my session with my cutie pie. (I hope my husband doesn't look at my post..) I'll ask about the method your chiro is using. Mine was certified in lower body in Jan 01.

My PT is coming to the session to watch him work on me today. Kinky.

What's the doc's reasoning for not giving you Vioxx? Was this an MD who said this? It is a life saver too!

Donna

Re: Same as myofacial release?

Jana on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047868)

Do you know if this is the same procedure as myofacial release??

Celia to DonnaSL on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048091)

SHEESH! Sorry I've been lagging with replying to your message. It appears that our message is getting lost thru the cracks as new messages get posted.

I don't remember what my MD's response was to not prescribing me VIOXX. I remember that it was a stupid reply and it just meant NO to me. My PT also agreed with him. I should call him just to bug him about it, but unfortunately my insurance ran out and I can't see him anymore (my divorce became final last week and I had Champus thru the Navy). So when I get Blue Cross of California, I surely plan to bug my new MD so that I may try that VIOXX. I heard it's a big lifesaver.

So my chiro is SINGLE (not married, that is), YOUNG, FUNNY, CUTE, and boy does he know how to work me! My feet that is! Plus he spends a lot of time with me as I'm always the last patient. You know, I think he has a crush on me too because once he treats me, they send me to a room where the nutritionist applies ice packs on my legs and achilles and he always comes over to check up on me and chat and I heard he never does that with anyone else. HA!! And, this is funny, I had decided not to be so flirty with him because I found out he had a girlfriend and I would respect that. I guess he noticed a change and wound up calling me at home AT 7:30 P.M. to ask if all was okay. Can you believe it? Calling me after hours??? He said I wasn't my usual self and I told him that I had decided to respect his relationship and that's why I wasn't being as flirtatious with him anymore. He was startled and apparently sad about it. I love the drama!!! I know he wants me!! HA!!

If you get a chance, why don't you e-mail because I feel that this message will be slipping out of the board soon. Take care!

Celia to Jana on 5/21/01 at 10:42 (048459)

I really don't know. You can probably call Active Release for your answer. If you do a search on Active Release, you'll find the number. They can probably explain the difference to you.

Pauline on 5/09/01 at 16:23 (047210)

Great to hear your good news and better to know that you won't have to be married in your running shoes. Let us know your date. Thank (Art) he brought you together.

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 03:46 (047293)

Celia,

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. I think ART is great too. I've had nine sessions to date, and can't believe the good results so far. They say the normal amount of sessions needed is only 6 to 12 for PF, but I'll probably need a lot more. In additon to PF, I have confirmed lateral plantar nerve entrapment in both feet, including one of the branches, and the chiro said there is some peroneal nerve entrapment, but he feels he will be able to get rid of all of it. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) He's reduced a lot of the nerve pain already. The rest of my feet, lower legs, ankles, etc. feel a thousand times better, and my achilles and peroneal tendonitis is gone. Also there has been an astonishing improvement in my gait. I'm only going twice a week, but I heard it's even more effective if you go three times a week in the beginning like you are. Also, my chiro says no caffine, but I need that morning buzz. I also just starting taking Vioxx last week, and that's helping too.

I wonder if one of the entry requirments for chiropractor school is to be handsome? My chiro is a CUTIE-PA-TOOTIE too!!

Donna

Ann M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047360)

How do I find a chiropractor who practices this ART? I live in the Baltimore area.

Mahoney on 5/10/01 at 14:49 (047366)

How did you find someone who practices ART? I live in Arizona.

Celia on 5/10/01 at 16:02 (047375)

What I did was look thru the chirporactic listings in the yellow pages. I also got some references from co-workers. I gave each one of them a phone call (the ones closes to me first) and inquired about Active Release Therapy. You'd be amazed how many chiropractors don't know what the heck you're talking about! You'll know if someone is certified. When you go to their office, ask for their certification and a free consultation. Good luck!

Donna, I'm so glad that A.R.T. has worked for you. Since I've had this problem for three years, I do agree that it'll take a couple more visits and it's worth every penny to me because, like I've said, he's a cutie! Yesterday he dug into my calves and felt a lot of knots. I was nearly in tears, but he applied some ice packs on them afterwards and today I'm wearing my heels at work!! I will definitely not take advantage of that, though. I'm being really careful, but I'm happy to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Do you give yourself treatments at home? I just can't because I guess my hands aren't that strong. They get tired right away. I can't wait until he gets rid of that pain in my nerve along my left ankle. That thing keeps creeping up on me. I also had a nerve conduction test and it appeared that all was okay, but my doctor is convinced that I have a nerve entrapment somewhere.

BrianJ on 5/10/01 at 16:12 (047376)

Actually, ART stands for 'Active Release Techniques' (i.e., the last word is 'techniques,' not 'therapy'). An internet search using the correct phrase should help you locate providers in your area. Hope this helps.

Re: ART web site address Re: Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) is working!

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 17:13 (047382)

Here's the website again that I posted previously. I didn't realize it was called active release technique until I looked at it again.

http://www.activerelease.com/

Donna

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 17:32 (047385)

Hi Celia,

I could never do what they do. Their hands are so strong. I think it has a lot to do with the technique. Lots of thumb work! Also, I think you would have to be a contortionist. They are moving the foot, ankle, etc, why they are doing a lot of the manipulations. I'm either on my stomach or back when he's doing them. My chiro has been pretty gentle though in most of his manipulations. Is your chiro certified in lower body? Just curious.

I did a lot of postings on ART in April, if you do a seach on Active Release Therapy, or ART you should see them. (I just noticed it's called technique instead)

Have you tried Vioxx? The neurolgist I saw said I should have been on that a long time ago, and was very surprised no one suggested it.

Donna

Celia to Donna on 5/11/01 at 15:33 (047508)

Unfortunately my doctor never wants to give me VIOXX. Time to change doctors, huh?

My chiro isn't certified in lower extremeties. It was hard enough finding a chiro out here who understands what A.R.T. means! When he treats me, we're both sitting down and he places my feet on his legs while he yanks at them, twists them around and digs deep into my feet. Could that mean he likes me, too? HA!!!

I'll do a search for your A.R.T. info. Have a good weekend!

Re: To Celia Re: Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) is working!

Donna SL on 5/11/01 at 16:38 (047512)

Celia,

Sounds like love! Ha Ha. Your feet on his legs? Hmm.... I'm getting ready to leave to go for my session with my cutie pie. (I hope my husband doesn't look at my post..) I'll ask about the method your chiro is using. Mine was certified in lower body in Jan 01.

My PT is coming to the session to watch him work on me today. Kinky.

What's the doc's reasoning for not giving you Vioxx? Was this an MD who said this? It is a life saver too!

Donna

Jana on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047868)

Do you know if this is the same procedure as myofacial release??

Celia to DonnaSL on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048091)

SHEESH! Sorry I've been lagging with replying to your message. It appears that our message is getting lost thru the cracks as new messages get posted.

I don't remember what my MD's response was to not prescribing me VIOXX. I remember that it was a stupid reply and it just meant NO to me. My PT also agreed with him. I should call him just to bug him about it, but unfortunately my insurance ran out and I can't see him anymore (my divorce became final last week and I had Champus thru the Navy). So when I get Blue Cross of California, I surely plan to bug my new MD so that I may try that VIOXX. I heard it's a big lifesaver.

So my chiro is SINGLE (not married, that is), YOUNG, FUNNY, CUTE, and boy does he know how to work me! My feet that is! Plus he spends a lot of time with me as I'm always the last patient. You know, I think he has a crush on me too because once he treats me, they send me to a room where the nutritionist applies ice packs on my legs and achilles and he always comes over to check up on me and chat and I heard he never does that with anyone else. HA!! And, this is funny, I had decided not to be so flirty with him because I found out he had a girlfriend and I would respect that. I guess he noticed a change and wound up calling me at home AT 7:30 P.M. to ask if all was okay. Can you believe it? Calling me after hours??? He said I wasn't my usual self and I told him that I had decided to respect his relationship and that's why I wasn't being as flirtatious with him anymore. He was startled and apparently sad about it. I love the drama!!! I know he wants me!! HA!!

If you get a chance, why don't you e-mail because I feel that this message will be slipping out of the board soon. Take care!

Celia to Jana on 5/21/01 at 10:42 (048459)

I really don't know. You can probably call Active Release for your answer. If you do a search on Active Release, you'll find the number. They can probably explain the difference to you.