Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z I have a question

Posted by Kate on 5/09/01 at 15:37 (047208)

Dr.Z,
Do you know of any item which is an arch support only, not a full insert with heel padding, just an arch support. Or do you think one could be easily made with the foam? My heels feel great, and lately the pro-steps have not been supporting my arches as well as I think they need to, and I've tried every other insert imaginable, but everything else aggravates my heels. What would you suggest?

Re: Dr. Z I have a question

DR. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 17:39 (047220)

Hi,

I have another type called footmaxx. It has the plastizole material. Give Rox or Mary a call and have them send you a pair. Will need your size .

Very comfortable insert

Richard, C.Ped on 5/10/01 at 09:00 (047318)

Kate,
We sometimes use what we call 'arch cookies' in shoes. I have used them in mine, and for the most part, they work ok. If you are just looking for simple arch support without a stable heel cup. I have used them in young children with flat feet. I did not want the parents to have to pay for a new orthosis every six months or so. You might be able to buy something similar at a shoe store, but I am not sure. We make our own.
Richard

Re: Thanks..........

Kate on 5/10/01 at 12:34 (047351)

Dr.Z and Richard,
I thought I already tried the foot maxx thing, or wanted to and you said it wasn't right for my foot, do you really think it would help?
Richard, the arch cookie (I wanna cookie!) sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Since my ESWT, I have no heel pain at all, (as long as I keep my arches well supported) but the pro-steps that I love, and other heel cups actually bother my heels now, so I just wanted something for the arch.
I'll ask around here and see if any of our techs know anything.
Thanks so much for the info............
Katie

Re: Kate

Jill P on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047403)

I am not a doctor and so I can't say whether these are a good idea or not, but Steve emailed me about Arch Aid which is basically a piece of ace bandage material with velcro that wraps around your arch to support it. Might be worth looking into and asking for a doctors opinion as to whether it would be right for you. For more info check out this website:

http://www.archaid.net

Best of luck! Jill P

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/11/01 at 14:11 (047499)

There are several products available to simply support the arch. The Arch Aid has similar competitors, one of which is a large pad/cushion that fits under the arch and is supported by straps that go over the top of the foot. There is another excellent product that works great on patients that have had success with taping, but can not tolerate orthoses. It is a product called the Pronation Spring Control, and it is made up of a material called Fabrifoam. It is basically a wrap made of a unique material that stretches and provides support. It is wrapped under the arch, over the top of the foot and behind the ankle, and is secured by a velcro strip beneath the medial arch. It sounds complicated and confusing, but it's really very simple. It's relatively inexpensive and is worn beneath your sock and fits into most shoes/sneakers. If you're interested, the manufacturer information is: Fabrifoam Products, 610-363-1014. (I'm not sure if they sell to the 'public', so if they don't let me know.)

Pauline on 5/11/01 at 15:15 (047506)

Kate,
I am no doctor, but I also wanted to try something similar to what you are describing. I found a product by Hapad Inc. These are 100% Natural wool Felt Soft Orthotics & Sports Insoles. They have an internet site http://www.hapad.com , but I ordered their catalog because I wanted to see everything they make. I haven't ordered yet, but their costs are pretty low compared to some of the other products I have purchased. They do have the cookies you are describing.

They may end up like all the other things I have purchased over the years
in my PF bag, but it was something I wanted to check out. I remember when I was little, shoe stores used to put this type of heel pad into your shoe
if your ankle rubbed on the leather. I have no idea how much support they would provide. For me it might be enough because custom orthotics have not ever worked. Please remember though that I am not a doctor and do not know much about the product except what I read in their catalog.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/12/01 at 14:32 (047603)

I have the products that Dr. Wander is talking about . Just stop over and go into the closet and take one of each out. Nice to hear from you.

Re: Thanks again....................

Kate on 5/15/01 at 08:02 (047782)

Dr. Z,
I'' give Jenn a call and find out when you'll have hours on a Saturday and stop by....it's time for a visit anyway......I do miss you guys!

See ya soon,
Katie

DR. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 17:39 (047220)

Hi,

I have another type called footmaxx. It has the plastizole material. Give Rox or Mary a call and have them send you a pair. Will need your size .

Very comfortable insert

Richard, C.Ped on 5/10/01 at 09:00 (047318)

Kate,
We sometimes use what we call 'arch cookies' in shoes. I have used them in mine, and for the most part, they work ok. If you are just looking for simple arch support without a stable heel cup. I have used them in young children with flat feet. I did not want the parents to have to pay for a new orthosis every six months or so. You might be able to buy something similar at a shoe store, but I am not sure. We make our own.
Richard

Re: Thanks..........

Kate on 5/10/01 at 12:34 (047351)

Dr.Z and Richard,
I thought I already tried the foot maxx thing, or wanted to and you said it wasn't right for my foot, do you really think it would help?
Richard, the arch cookie (I wanna cookie!) sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Since my ESWT, I have no heel pain at all, (as long as I keep my arches well supported) but the pro-steps that I love, and other heel cups actually bother my heels now, so I just wanted something for the arch.
I'll ask around here and see if any of our techs know anything.
Thanks so much for the info............
Katie

Jill P on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047403)

I am not a doctor and so I can't say whether these are a good idea or not, but Steve emailed me about Arch Aid which is basically a piece of ace bandage material with velcro that wraps around your arch to support it. Might be worth looking into and asking for a doctors opinion as to whether it would be right for you. For more info check out this website:

http://www.archaid.net

Best of luck! Jill P

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/11/01 at 14:11 (047499)

There are several products available to simply support the arch. The Arch Aid has similar competitors, one of which is a large pad/cushion that fits under the arch and is supported by straps that go over the top of the foot. There is another excellent product that works great on patients that have had success with taping, but can not tolerate orthoses. It is a product called the Pronation Spring Control, and it is made up of a material called Fabrifoam. It is basically a wrap made of a unique material that stretches and provides support. It is wrapped under the arch, over the top of the foot and behind the ankle, and is secured by a velcro strip beneath the medial arch. It sounds complicated and confusing, but it's really very simple. It's relatively inexpensive and is worn beneath your sock and fits into most shoes/sneakers. If you're interested, the manufacturer information is: Fabrifoam Products, 610-363-1014. (I'm not sure if they sell to the 'public', so if they don't let me know.)

Pauline on 5/11/01 at 15:15 (047506)

Kate,
I am no doctor, but I also wanted to try something similar to what you are describing. I found a product by Hapad Inc. These are 100% Natural wool Felt Soft Orthotics & Sports Insoles. They have an internet site http://www.hapad.com , but I ordered their catalog because I wanted to see everything they make. I haven't ordered yet, but their costs are pretty low compared to some of the other products I have purchased. They do have the cookies you are describing.

They may end up like all the other things I have purchased over the years
in my PF bag, but it was something I wanted to check out. I remember when I was little, shoe stores used to put this type of heel pad into your shoe
if your ankle rubbed on the leather. I have no idea how much support they would provide. For me it might be enough because custom orthotics have not ever worked. Please remember though that I am not a doctor and do not know much about the product except what I read in their catalog.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/12/01 at 14:32 (047603)

I have the products that Dr. Wander is talking about . Just stop over and go into the closet and take one of each out. Nice to hear from you.

Re: Thanks again....................

Kate on 5/15/01 at 08:02 (047782)

Dr. Z,
I'' give Jenn a call and find out when you'll have hours on a Saturday and stop by....it's time for a visit anyway......I do miss you guys!

See ya soon,
Katie