Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DR. REID--GETTING NERVOUS!!

Posted by MARY S. on 5/09/01 at 19:32 (047246)

YOU ANSWERED A MESSAGE I POSTED ABOUT A GASTROC SOLIUS RELEASE AND SAID YOU HAVE DONE THIS PROCEDURE. MY SURGERY IS MAY25 AND THE CLOSER IT GETS THE MORE NERVOUS I BECOME. IF MY ACHILIES TENDON HAS CACLCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO MY HEEL, HOW IS RELEASING THIS MUSCLE IN THE BACK OF MY CALF GOING TO HELP WITH MY PAIN? AWFUL PAIN AND SWELLING IN THE BACK OF HEEL!
WHEN THEY SAY NO WEIGHT BEARING--THAT SCARES ME BECAUSE I REALLY DON'T THINK I CAN CARRY MY WIGHT ON CRUTCHES OR A WALKER. I'VE HAS SURGERY ON MY HAND FOR CARPLE TUNNEL AND DON'T HAVE MUCH STRENGTH--ALSO HAVE FIBROMYALGIA AND ARMS ACHE ALOT.
I KNOW I HAVE TO TRUST SOMEONE AND HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO HELP MYSELF. THIS ORTHO SURGEON DEALS ONLY WITH FEET AND ANKLES.
I GUESS I JUST NEED REASSURING AND A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW THIS PROCEDURE ACTUALLY WORKS. WHAT IF I HAVE TO PUT SOME WEIGHT ON THAT LEG?
I WILL APPRECIATE ANY INFO YOU CAN SHARE. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Re: DR. REID--GETTING NERVOUS!!

bg cped on 5/09/01 at 20:55 (047253)

I cant speak for your surgeon but one that refers to me does many of these procedures. Having tight gastroc /heel cords is a contributing cause of many functional foot problems. In my opinion it is not recognized enough. You may ask your doctor if he will have you wear a cam walker, it is basically a removable cast, looks like a space boot. They are light and the bottom looks like a rocking chair. It will keep you from bending your ankle too much till you heal. If you are that weak in upper body strength you may use a walker also.
If you wear a walker make sure you wear a good cross trainer type shoe on the other foot. It will balance you out so you dont get sore back or hip. It will also make you walk more secure. Depending on the procedure it is probably one of the easiest foot related surgeries to have done. I watched one and it was about 5 minutes (not all are that fast) The cord is very strong and has a great deal of tension. I would compare it to a guitar string snaping.

It may also help you if you have flat feet, more range of motion back there takes alot of stress of the foot. Look at it this way you are doing in 1/2 hour whatsome people spend 6 month of stretching to never get accomplished.

what area are you in? maybe you can get recomendation on proper footwear after it is done

Re: BG CPED--Re: DR. REID--GETTING NERVOUS!!

MARY S. on 5/09/01 at 22:36 (047270)

BG CPED, THANK YOU FOR THE WORDS OF WISDOM! YOU MADE ME FEEL BETTER! I WILL ASK ABOUT THE CAM WALKER. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR ME. HAVE YOU HAD SURGERY? SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE VERY INFORMED. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

bg cped on 5/10/01 at 06:51 (047303)

No never had surg on foot or ankle. But I deal with this stuff all day long. And fortunatly I have get to deal with some great foot surgeons. You will do fine, just ask him about your mobility concerns, you may get a cam walker without asking, its a fairly common device.

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 07:51 (047310)

Hi Mary,

If you think that you'll be too mobility impared, why not ask your doc about a rehab facility for a week or so. Just another option. Good luck on the procedure.

BCG

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/10/01 at 18:35 (047389)

Mary, make sure your ortho knows about the fibromylagia and your concerns. The lengthening will lessen the strain and excessive pull of the achilles on the attachment. He is probably also going to remove the calcifications. You also may want to discuss the FM with the physical therapist that your ortho will likely send you to when you are ready. Getting some of the recovery info may help put you at ease. Good luck.

MARY S. on 5/10/01 at 21:16 (047405)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! KNOWING THAT YOU DEAL WITH THIS SORT OF THING GIVES ME ALOT OF REASSURANCE, AND I DO FEEL BETTER. I GO FOR MY PREOP VISIT THURSDAY, AND I WILL SHARE MY CONCERNS WITH MY DOCTOR. THANKS AGAIN!! YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

MARY S. on 5/10/01 at 21:23 (047406)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING!! THE DOCTOR IS NOT GOING TO REMOVE THE CALCIFICATIONS--THAT IS ONE REASON I AM AFRAID THAT THE PAIN WILL STILL BE THERE. STILL, AS YOU SAID, MAYBE SOME OF THE PRESSURE WILL BE TAKEN OFF AND I'LL GET GOOD RESULTS. I WILL DISCUSS THE FM WITH DR. AND THERAPIST.
I'LL SEE THE DR. THURSDAY FOR PREOP VISIT. HOPEFULLY, I'LL HAVE MORE INFO.
THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A BLESSING. THANK YOU FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO HELP. YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

MARY S. on 5/10/01 at 21:26 (047407)

I'M GOING TO SEE THE DR. THURSDAY FOR PREOP. WILL HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS AND WILL ASK ABOUT YOUR SUGGESTION. THANKS FOR ADVICE!!!!

bg cped on 5/09/01 at 20:55 (047253)

I cant speak for your surgeon but one that refers to me does many of these procedures. Having tight gastroc /heel cords is a contributing cause of many functional foot problems. In my opinion it is not recognized enough. You may ask your doctor if he will have you wear a cam walker, it is basically a removable cast, looks like a space boot. They are light and the bottom looks like a rocking chair. It will keep you from bending your ankle too much till you heal. If you are that weak in upper body strength you may use a walker also.
If you wear a walker make sure you wear a good cross trainer type shoe on the other foot. It will balance you out so you dont get sore back or hip. It will also make you walk more secure. Depending on the procedure it is probably one of the easiest foot related surgeries to have done. I watched one and it was about 5 minutes (not all are that fast) The cord is very strong and has a great deal of tension. I would compare it to a guitar string snaping.

It may also help you if you have flat feet, more range of motion back there takes alot of stress of the foot. Look at it this way you are doing in 1/2 hour whatsome people spend 6 month of stretching to never get accomplished.

what area are you in? maybe you can get recomendation on proper footwear after it is done

MARY S. on 5/09/01 at 22:36 (047270)

BG CPED, THANK YOU FOR THE WORDS OF WISDOM! YOU MADE ME FEEL BETTER! I WILL ASK ABOUT THE CAM WALKER. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR ME. HAVE YOU HAD SURGERY? SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE VERY INFORMED. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

bg cped on 5/10/01 at 06:51 (047303)

No never had surg on foot or ankle. But I deal with this stuff all day long. And fortunatly I have get to deal with some great foot surgeons. You will do fine, just ask him about your mobility concerns, you may get a cam walker without asking, its a fairly common device.

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 07:51 (047310)

Hi Mary,

If you think that you'll be too mobility impared, why not ask your doc about a rehab facility for a week or so. Just another option. Good luck on the procedure.

BCG

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/10/01 at 18:35 (047389)

Mary, make sure your ortho knows about the fibromylagia and your concerns. The lengthening will lessen the strain and excessive pull of the achilles on the attachment. He is probably also going to remove the calcifications. You also may want to discuss the FM with the physical therapist that your ortho will likely send you to when you are ready. Getting some of the recovery info may help put you at ease. Good luck.

MARY S. on 5/10/01 at 21:16 (047405)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! KNOWING THAT YOU DEAL WITH THIS SORT OF THING GIVES ME ALOT OF REASSURANCE, AND I DO FEEL BETTER. I GO FOR MY PREOP VISIT THURSDAY, AND I WILL SHARE MY CONCERNS WITH MY DOCTOR. THANKS AGAIN!! YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

MARY S. on 5/10/01 at 21:23 (047406)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING!! THE DOCTOR IS NOT GOING TO REMOVE THE CALCIFICATIONS--THAT IS ONE REASON I AM AFRAID THAT THE PAIN WILL STILL BE THERE. STILL, AS YOU SAID, MAYBE SOME OF THE PRESSURE WILL BE TAKEN OFF AND I'LL GET GOOD RESULTS. I WILL DISCUSS THE FM WITH DR. AND THERAPIST.
I'LL SEE THE DR. THURSDAY FOR PREOP VISIT. HOPEFULLY, I'LL HAVE MORE INFO.
THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A BLESSING. THANK YOU FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO HELP. YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

MARY S. on 5/10/01 at 21:26 (047407)

I'M GOING TO SEE THE DR. THURSDAY FOR PREOP. WILL HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS AND WILL ASK ABOUT YOUR SUGGESTION. THANKS FOR ADVICE!!!!