Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shower Shoes??

Posted by Lisa C. on 5/09/01 at 20:48 (047252)

I have read reference to shower shoes. What are they and do they have support? I take children to the waterpark alot in the summer and was wondering what I could wear, since I get it... NO barefeet! Teva's? Please say anything but NOT aquasox! On me those would be super dorky!! MUCH more so then socks with Birkenstocks. (Which I think looks just fine)

Re: Shower Shoes??

bg cped on 5/09/01 at 21:01 (047255)

Look for what are called 'slides' they are usually made by nike, adidas, etc. Most are all black and combination of foam/plastic. Try on several to find one that fits and is comfortable. STAY AWAY FROM THE ONES WITH THE BRISTLES/BUMPS some can wear them, many feel like a bed of nails after a few minutes of wearing. I have tried and my feet went numb

Milo_V on 5/09/01 at 21:18 (047261)

Hi Lisa, Birkenstock makes an all weather sandal called Birki's. They come in either polyurethane or EVA flavors. No cork. I haven't tried them, but, like you I'm looking for some outdoor sandals.

Cynthia D on 5/09/01 at 21:40 (047263)

The plastic 'birkies' work great. I can't wear them for TOO long, though. Maybe you can, or you can switch to them when you are in the water. I shower and swim in mine.

Julie on 5/10/01 at 02:07 (047287)

Ditto Milo and Cynthia. I have a pair of Birkis and take them swimming. They are more rigid than the cork and leather Birks, and they don't 'give' or adjust themselves to your feet, but if you can wear Birks and make sure you get Birkis that fit you properly, you'll probably find they are fine.

Jason M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047325)

Hey Lisa,
I bought a pair of Adidas black rubber sports sandals. These are absolutely great because they shape themselves to your foot after a couple of weeks, much like birkenstocks. I got mine from a local sporting goods store. I chose them because they had a nice high arch and a toebar. They were only about 20 bucks or so, and I think they are pretty cool looking as well. I wear them everyday in the shower or at the pool. I plan on wearing them to the beach next month. Hope this helps.
Later,
Jason

Lisa C. on 5/11/01 at 02:21 (047417)

Thanks for all the shoe info. I just knew that I didn't want to wear leather Mephisto'$ or Birken$tock$ in the water! Are we wearing shoes for arch support even during a shower?! I will listen to the sage advise of heelspurs.com-ers since I am feeling better already from all the good advice I have received! My pod once said 'Well you could try ice on your heels.' I thought it was for temporary comfort, I didn't realize it could help!

Julie on 5/11/01 at 03:02 (047422)

Hi Lisa, yes, you're wearing shoes for arch support even in the shower. If your feet hurt while you're standing in the shower, it would be a good idea to wear shower shoes. The point is that when the arch doesn't have the support it needs, there is a stronger pull on the point where the fascia inserts at the heelbone, and the microtears increase. Supporting the arch at all times lessens that pull, avoids the tearing, and aids healing.

PattyS on 5/15/01 at 20:51 (047869)

Lisa,
I was in Orchard Supply (hardware store) and in the garden area they had plastic sandals that looked a lot like birks that were totally waterproof. I guess for gardening, but they would be great for the pool. they were around $15. I tried them on and they were pretty comfortable. Patty

bg cped on 5/09/01 at 21:01 (047255)

Look for what are called 'slides' they are usually made by nike, adidas, etc. Most are all black and combination of foam/plastic. Try on several to find one that fits and is comfortable. STAY AWAY FROM THE ONES WITH THE BRISTLES/BUMPS some can wear them, many feel like a bed of nails after a few minutes of wearing. I have tried and my feet went numb

Milo_V on 5/09/01 at 21:18 (047261)

Hi Lisa, Birkenstock makes an all weather sandal called Birki's. They come in either polyurethane or EVA flavors. No cork. I haven't tried them, but, like you I'm looking for some outdoor sandals.

Cynthia D on 5/09/01 at 21:40 (047263)

The plastic 'birkies' work great. I can't wear them for TOO long, though. Maybe you can, or you can switch to them when you are in the water. I shower and swim in mine.

Julie on 5/10/01 at 02:07 (047287)

Ditto Milo and Cynthia. I have a pair of Birkis and take them swimming. They are more rigid than the cork and leather Birks, and they don't 'give' or adjust themselves to your feet, but if you can wear Birks and make sure you get Birkis that fit you properly, you'll probably find they are fine.

Jason M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047325)

Hey Lisa,
I bought a pair of Adidas black rubber sports sandals. These are absolutely great because they shape themselves to your foot after a couple of weeks, much like birkenstocks. I got mine from a local sporting goods store. I chose them because they had a nice high arch and a toebar. They were only about 20 bucks or so, and I think they are pretty cool looking as well. I wear them everyday in the shower or at the pool. I plan on wearing them to the beach next month. Hope this helps.
Later,
Jason

Lisa C. on 5/11/01 at 02:21 (047417)

Thanks for all the shoe info. I just knew that I didn't want to wear leather Mephisto'$ or Birken$tock$ in the water! Are we wearing shoes for arch support even during a shower?! I will listen to the sage advise of heelspurs.com-ers since I am feeling better already from all the good advice I have received! My pod once said 'Well you could try ice on your heels.' I thought it was for temporary comfort, I didn't realize it could help!

Julie on 5/11/01 at 03:02 (047422)

Hi Lisa, yes, you're wearing shoes for arch support even in the shower. If your feet hurt while you're standing in the shower, it would be a good idea to wear shower shoes. The point is that when the arch doesn't have the support it needs, there is a stronger pull on the point where the fascia inserts at the heelbone, and the microtears increase. Supporting the arch at all times lessens that pull, avoids the tearing, and aids healing.

PattyS on 5/15/01 at 20:51 (047869)

Lisa,
I was in Orchard Supply (hardware store) and in the garden area they had plastic sandals that looked a lot like birks that were totally waterproof. I guess for gardening, but they would be great for the pool. they were around $15. I tried them on and they were pretty comfortable. Patty