Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help is anyone up still?

Posted by Tammie on 5/09/01 at hrmin (047254)

Hi,
My foot is hurting very much tonight, It is not the heel it is the arch and the side of my foot It really hurts tonight!!!!!! I have tryed icing I have elevated I have taken darvecet that I have left It still is hurting. The pain is sharp pains and dull aching right above the heel underneeth foot. Is there anything I can do till tomorrow? This seems to happen anytime I wear that darn orthodic or my shoe on that foot. I think it has to be related . I almost called the dr. earlier this afternoon as it was sore but seemed to relieve when put the boot cast on I had taken aleve then now this evening it is worse then ever!!!! ankle is sore inside and outside. Is there anything to relieve it for the night? I am thinking of taking some of hubbys sleeping medicine and some ultram he has but worried the darvecet and that may not mix? would heat be better??? No major swelling visable just the normal. I have like a elastic sleeve on foot she put on and the pain is at the bottom of it if that helps to wear it is half way middle of foot to top of and outside and ankles Please is there anything that I might try till morning and then I can call the dr. Thanks I am 3week post surgery for pf and spur filed down.

Re: Help is anyone up still?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 21:08 (047257)

Try to double the darvocet. Try a sleep pill also . May cause upset stomach but give it a try. Alittle food to be on the safe side

Tammie on 5/09/01 at 21:11 (047259)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ask doctor

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 07:45 (047309)

Hi Tammie,

The Darvocet is not much more than a glorified asprin. It's the weakest pain med a doctor can prescribe. You can take 2 or 3, but then unfortunatly you run the risk of the upset stomach, due to the tylanol or asprin thats in it. You doc can prescribe pure pain meds, that will not upset your stomach. Might be something you want to ask him about. Good luck on the healing.

BCG

Re: Ask doctor/ I did before said I did not need anything more

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 08:49 (047316)

Hi,
I tryed the double darvacet, it was not pleasant lol. I did finally manage to get some sleep . This is so darn weird or is the normal stuff people have when healing? I just am so darn amazed. I think everyone here thinks I am crazy or a nutcase for sure. I know my family thinks that I am by now. Well in any case I dont understand why the pain comes in the evening and at night time so much? Does anyone have any ideas? U know if I go to the Dr. right now she would think I am a nut or a hypo,as my foot feel not bad, tender a bit but reasonably ok. Now as the day progresses and toward evening time I will be going nuts with it trying to make it comfortable , like I would rather keep moving on it , as I cant notice the pain as much then.When I sit I cant sit still I cross one leg then the other or keep moving it till I can find a spot to make it comfortable and most likely I hve to stand on it to find it. Figure that out? This throbbing stuff is old now and I am almost ready to I dont even know anymore. Does anyone know if PF comes back after a surgery to? After they cut it can it come back? I wonder as I seem to be feeling the old morning stiffness cannot walk to the b room without a crutch? Or may this still be the healing phase? I have good days and bad. I can walk on my heel.Maybe I should try taping it? Or is it to soon after the surgery? I know and I already called the dr. so u dont need to remind me to do that lol, They are not in office but will try to get back to me I was informed. Is there something I have said that I should emphisie with them as if I say pain they sort of by pass it with well listen to the body thing and rest stuff which I know about . Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Or am I rushing things again? I am sorry for the long posts.

GinaC on 5/10/01 at 11:57 (047345)

Some of what you're saying sounds familiar. I didn't start full weightbearing till 6 weeks after surgery, but my foot felt very stiff in the morning, just as you describe, even when I was on crutches. I try to do ankle pumps and circles and then pull on toes to stretch the foot/fascia before I get out of bed and it helps. And although it may feel better to keep moving, I also find the more active I am during the day, the more pain I have in the evenings. At 8 weeks I'm just now gradually trying to increase the activity level. You could try less walking just to see if that decreases the evening pain; for me it did. Hope you hear from your doctor soon.

Susan U on 5/10/01 at 12:03 (047348)

Boy, you sure are having trouble! I think we had our surgery at about the same time, if I remember correctly. Mine was 4/11. I still have the same old pain in the morning, like you said. It takes a few steps to get it to ease up. Maybe you're doing too much walking during the day, so the downtime is a shock to your foot. I have been using a quadcane for 3 weeks now. I try to sit as much as possible during the day--always with my foot up. Everything I've read or been told by my dr. is figure 2-4 months for total healing, so don't get impatient. I don't have orthodics, but I wear a good walking shoe. It hurts like crazy when I take my shoe off in the evening, but it lets up soon afterwards. Hang in there Tammie!

Re: Re:Maybe a thought

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 12:32 (047350)

Well ladies , I am not sure what is going on but going to try to figure this out.Susan yes I had it the 17,I was following your posts trying to see if I was on same track. My dr, gave me a cam boot after surgery , and said to start bearing weight from start a bit at a time , and to get rid of crutches in a week, which I did as I was a clutz anyways. Then is stating I should get rid of cam boot and into my shoes with the orthodic ,and wanted that done befor I go back next thurs. then they were going to do some pt for the last 2 weeks so I could return to work on june 4 which is 6 weeks he said.I will say I have done all that they have asked me to , I will admit I do not rest during the day much but they seemed to encourage me to keep moving on it but then they tell me to listen to pain and body, I dont know I feel quite confused as to what I should be able to do. I think today I am going to just start investigating on my own, I maybe trying to do to much especially this week as allot happening, along with moving my son out of his dorm as college is out ,but really I didnt do to much of that,But I do my normal house routine and go here and there without giving it a second thougth as everyone thinks I am fine now cause surgery is over. After the first week I would say I was back on feet almost like normal except for the at work I was not there doing my job then.I just think I am one of those people who needs to be told exactly what they expect and exactly lol when it is ok to call and worry. I just thought this would have no pain by now, I mean they kept saying in shoes in 10 days and back to work in 4 weeks well if I had to go back today or even next week, which would be 4 weeks I could not do it no way, I can feel some pain during the day but what is normal healing pain and normal useage pain. And what is pain that needs to be seen. I do know if there was a dr. at the office last night at 10 I would have been calling as THAT was not pain that I was tolerating well. But when I call in day and they see it is back to normal, Why I dont have a clue Maybe I am a hypo ,But I did know that the pain at night is enough to make me tempted to do something drastic to relieve it . Well thanks I am trying to figure this out. Thanks

Re: How are you doing tonight?

Pauline on 5/10/01 at 17:04 (047380)

Tammie,
It's getting toward evening where I live. How are you doing? Did you notice any difference between yesterday and today? Depending on where you live it could still be too early in the day to tell. Your foot reminds me of how a fever reacts, usually getting worst at night. I hope it's a better night for you.

Re: How are you doing tonight?/ thanks for asking

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 19:20 (047393)

My foot and ankle are starting already yes, I can feel it I jsut took a bath and soaked for a bit as I have a whirlpool tub. I lotioned it up after and massaged it and yes it is throbing and starting the ankle is throbbing and the top of foot . Anyways I am truly discouraged. And my Dr. never found time to get back to me of course! I should have known . Today I tried a different pair of shoes. Bye the looks of it it is not going to help. I am gonna give up I think. I am tiered of worrying about it now I am going to let what is gonna be be. And if I cannot stand it anymore I will just go to the er room. I hate feet very much. Who would have ever guessed they could cause u so much pain and turmoil. I am going to live one day at a time I am tired of getting up in the morning wondering if it will be better to day I am tired of wondering if tonight I will sleep with no pain I am tired of family asking if it is all better, I just am plain tired a matter of fact, and I must move on with my life as I have NEVER let anything hold me down for long.Thanks and thanks to all who have helped or cared. I thought about trying to tape again maybe tomorrow. Will see . Wondering where my friends all went Val and Laurie maybe they were the smart ones . I think that there is no permenant fix just something I will like so many others will have to deal with and someday maybe the miracle will happen and will let u all know!!! Good night now and again thanks I wish there was not so much turmoil and rules here it has taken alot away from the friendly place to come

Re: Pain meds

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 20:01 (047395)

Hi Tammie,

I did a little research and found a couple of meds you may want to ask your doc to prescribe, although many docs do not like patients to sugest anything. You can also ask your family doc for help. Roxinal is the brand name for morphine sulfate. Oxycodone is simply codeine. If you feel like some reading about pain treatments that may help, go to http://www.pain.com
I really hate it that your doc doesn't seem to be compassionate enough to believe the amount of pain your in. I believe an informed patient can sometimes work a little better with their doc. Check out the web site, you might find something else that may help you. Here's hoping you get some sleep tonight.

BCG

Re: Thanks but I am not looking for a pill ,

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 20:23 (047399)

I thank u very much for the care u feel and the time u have put in for me! I really am not much of a pill person really lol! I see people with pills who try to live there lives thru them and I am not that way I do take when I have to or if I cannot tolerate it any more in fact I am a bad one I self medicate see my hubby has RArthritis and has plenty of medications here ,and if I need I could use his which is not to smart but works if needed. I do not want to beg any dr. for pain medication I trust there judgement even tho they dont seem to take it like I kn0ow what i am saying. But any ways if I asked again he will for sure think I am either a hypo or a junkie although he has only given me 20 darvecet since surgery and I have 2 left. And that was 3 and half weeks ago. He did give me vicoden but had the reaction to them and he made me return them to him. I did. I do not have a family dr. for me believe that ? I am never or have never been a sick person lol I am 41 and reasonably healthy and I do not go to a dr. for much just my foot and Gyn. and he takes care of my thyroid pills also. So see I do not even have a dr. like that to help me . I dont care I dont have allot of trust in dr.s. They are not my most favorite people . I have found that most are uncomfortable if u have knowledge of what they are treating my hubbys ra dr. was very offended when I researched his meds and his condition and I questioned why he chose his treatment and various meds. I cannot go with him any longer as it makes us all uncomfortable. I just wanted to know about his illness and his medication but I think the dr. felt threatened. The PA understood and was very helpful to us both and she could not understand either. But he is a wonderful dr. and my hubby loves his PA and feels comfortable with him so that is that.Once when my son was younger he had tonsils out and he had high fever a few days after I called surgon and he called me a neroutic mother that fever after that was normal ,and it was in the end fine, but after that I have always waited and hate to call a dr. for anything.I hope that I am not neroutic as I try to get informed as I have done here but well maybe they perfer me dumb. I am in allot of ways . Well I am going to go now as I am rattling on and I may get in trouble. Thanks again for the care I must be sure I thank all I really apreciate it.

Julie on 5/11/01 at 01:53 (047412)

Hi Tammie

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I get the feeling that you think you ought to be better now, and so are trying hard to 'get bacl to normal'. But you've had surgery only four weeks ago, and four weeks is nothing. You should really be resting. One remark that sticks out of one of your posts it that you're less aware of the pain when you walk around (hope I've got that right) - but I'd guess it's the walking around that is holding up your healing. Please try to stay off your feet as much as possible. If you don't absolutely have to go to work, don't. Get a few good books or magazines, or park yourself in front of the TV, and put your feet up.

Try to be patient. Four weeks is nothing, and the more you are able to rest your feet the quicker you will heal.

I wish you all the best

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:28 (047418)

Tammie, I'm not a pill person either, but I do think that one ought to take painkillers when one is in severe pain.Folks who are anti-pills tend to let the pain get to an extreme level before doing anything about it, and it is then difficult, and takes more medicine, to lower it: that means taking it regularly, not just on and off when the pain is unbearable .

After my mastectomy surgery years ago I was advised to take enough medication to maintain the pain at a low level. That was good advice, and I took it, and it helped me.

Do think about it. You won't need pain medication for long, but while you're taking it you will feel a whole lot better.

Lisa C. on 5/11/01 at 03:24 (047424)

Hi Tammie,
Your night time foot pain reminded me of my husbands pain. He has neuropathy. He is diabetic and it is in both feet. Just made me think that if it is at its worst at night, could some nerves have been disturbed during surgery? Probably not, maybe you can't even get it that way, but my husband has ALOT of pain & mainly at night. (Has your doctor ruled out the night pain being anything else other then post op pain?) My pn can be at its absolute worst at night too. Anytime I sit and relax then get up & walk it is bad but at the end of a normal day, if I sit for 30 minutes then get up, I walk like Redd Fox in the old Sanford & Son shows. My husband has been known to grab his heart & say 'Elizabeth I'm coming'... I love the Heelspurs.com advice of resting & taking it easy. Your not lazy you are working hard at healing so you can have a more painfree & productive future!

BrianG on 5/11/01 at 12:14 (047477)

Hi Tammie,

I'm sorry that I've gone on about the pain meds to you. I should realize everyone has different ideas about how to deal with pain. In my particular situation, I know it would be impossible for me to work without pain meds. If I can't work, I can apply for Social Security disabilty. After the 3 year wait, there is a good chance I'll be turned down. At that time I would have gone through all my savings, sold my house, and then what?????
I would be screwed. Worst case scenerio, I could be homeless, and still have terrible chronic pain.

This is why I know I must take my pills 3 times a day. I don't get a buzz, I don't crave them, they are just 3 little pills I must take to live life as normal as possible. I think that if somewhere down the line, you had run into a doctor who actually listened and cared for you, things might be different. All doctors are not like the few you have run into. Thank god for the compassionate doctors, who will listen. I hope you find one some day. They are like night and day. Keep on healing, I'm praying for you.

BCG

Andrea R. on 5/11/01 at 12:51 (047486)

Tammie,

I've been following your recovery with great interest. I'm scheduled for surgery on my left foot on Wednesday.

I had shoulder surgery last year and the physical therapist had me icing after each session. It did more for the pain and worked faster than anything else.

Your bath and soak in the whirlpool tub may also be aggravating your pain. The heat doesn't help the internal inflamation you probably still have. That's why everyone says ICE IT! The ice reduces the inflamation which in turn reduces the pain. I have to ice my foot after I use the hot tub. Don't stop the soaking, just finish with ice.

My doctor told me I won't be putting any weight on my foot for at least a week. I won't be starting PT for about six weeks.

Good Luck.

Re: Re:Brian,And Friends

Tammie on 5/11/01 at 14:54 (047505)

Brian I am so sorry for u ,I feel so bad. I know it must be truly hard for u and I just wanted u to know I checked into the site u gave me. Every case is different I am sure of that as you can see that here! But it seems in all cases there is plenty of pain to go around. I understand this and I know that I had the surgery thinking afterwards the pain would last minamal time and life would go on. And it still might! I have some thoughts about things and someone hee has pointed out a few things of my expectations which she may have hit the nail when she said that. I guess in my case maybe it is to early to expect pain free? I am not sure I do my normal activities except going to work, I am on leave till June. I think since I am not working I miles well be as I do almost as much walking but not the same when I am at home. But I have always thought that is what I am to do. I am rethinking my ways.I dont think it is my baths with heat as I do ice to. I am really thinking it is me , I am trying to much to fast. I have wore my shoes now all day for the last 2 days playing with them and puting orthodics in and out and icing in between and going without. I also think there is a problem with the fit of the one orthodic. That will be something I bring to there attention when I get the chance! My dr. seems to be so against pain meds. I am not sure why but that is the case and I will have to accept that unless I choose to change dr.s They feel 3 and a half weeks post op I should not have pain enough to warrent meds to take the ultram they had given me before or aleve or advil so I will do it and if it doesnt work I will see them thurs. then they can judge for thereselves my foot. I wish my appointment would be in the evening tho so they could see the real time it is flared. I have had allot of good input and allot of support and I want to thank u all for this. I hope we all can try to help each other! Here is a sunny day to all of my good friends and heres to the day we are all pain free and back to our lives!!!!

Re: Rest = healing

BrianG on 5/14/01 at 10:58 (047711)

Hi Tammie,

I hope you rested this past weekend, and your pain levels are slowly going down. Rest, Rest, REST :*)

BCG

Tammie on 5/14/01 at 12:29 (047717)

LOL Oh Brian u did make me laugh or at least chuckle reading that rest =healing.I am hanging around and well what can I say? Daytime is good maybe a 3 to a 5 so pretty good ! Nightime is a nightmare and for the darn life of me I cannot figure that out at all. But will continue trying till I see the dr. on thurs, and then to convince them that it is the nightmare from below at night it can be a 8 to a 10+ not much below tho till I finally get to sleep which I still wake up often with the pains .If I hang my foot over the bed and move it it seems to relieve it for a while. I dont know but it seems like in evening when I take off my shoe all heck breaks loose,I dont even stand on the foot and still goes crazy.Oh well I am curious what will happen when I return to work, I am looking foward to it but wonder what will happen with the foot then. Well they did mention Pt so maybe that will be the difference or I thought about trying the tape thing again but have been worried I might do more harm. I am more aware of a constant throbbing during the day on the outside of my foot and if I try to bend my foot down toes to ground point it is a pain on outside of foot enough to make u stop in tracks .Maybe that is why I do not like to sit around .Well in any case I am playing the waiting game,and figuring that even if I do get a chance to open my mouth noone is going to listen to me anyway. So got to deal with it. I may have to take up a night time job to lol.See I still can find humor today,got to have a laugh if not get to self involved with piety. So now how are u doing?I have read so much here that I feel as tho I am really lucky to have only this for about a year if it were years I dont know if I could have survived this all . I at least keep thinking there is hope yet as it is still early at least people keep telling me this So that keeps me upbeat,as I cannot think of the other possibilities. Keep in touch Brian ! I enjoy hearing from u! It is quite interesting at how knowledgable you and so many others are here at this site! Have a good day!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 21:08 (047257)

Try to double the darvocet. Try a sleep pill also . May cause upset stomach but give it a try. Alittle food to be on the safe side

Tammie on 5/09/01 at 21:11 (047259)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ask doctor

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 07:45 (047309)

Hi Tammie,

The Darvocet is not much more than a glorified asprin. It's the weakest pain med a doctor can prescribe. You can take 2 or 3, but then unfortunatly you run the risk of the upset stomach, due to the tylanol or asprin thats in it. You doc can prescribe pure pain meds, that will not upset your stomach. Might be something you want to ask him about. Good luck on the healing.

BCG

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 08:49 (047316)

Hi,
I tryed the double darvacet, it was not pleasant lol. I did finally manage to get some sleep . This is so darn weird or is the normal stuff people have when healing? I just am so darn amazed. I think everyone here thinks I am crazy or a nutcase for sure. I know my family thinks that I am by now. Well in any case I dont understand why the pain comes in the evening and at night time so much? Does anyone have any ideas? U know if I go to the Dr. right now she would think I am a nut or a hypo,as my foot feel not bad, tender a bit but reasonably ok. Now as the day progresses and toward evening time I will be going nuts with it trying to make it comfortable , like I would rather keep moving on it , as I cant notice the pain as much then.When I sit I cant sit still I cross one leg then the other or keep moving it till I can find a spot to make it comfortable and most likely I hve to stand on it to find it. Figure that out? This throbbing stuff is old now and I am almost ready to I dont even know anymore. Does anyone know if PF comes back after a surgery to? After they cut it can it come back? I wonder as I seem to be feeling the old morning stiffness cannot walk to the b room without a crutch? Or may this still be the healing phase? I have good days and bad. I can walk on my heel.Maybe I should try taping it? Or is it to soon after the surgery? I know and I already called the dr. so u dont need to remind me to do that lol, They are not in office but will try to get back to me I was informed. Is there something I have said that I should emphisie with them as if I say pain they sort of by pass it with well listen to the body thing and rest stuff which I know about . Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Or am I rushing things again? I am sorry for the long posts.

GinaC on 5/10/01 at 11:57 (047345)

Some of what you're saying sounds familiar. I didn't start full weightbearing till 6 weeks after surgery, but my foot felt very stiff in the morning, just as you describe, even when I was on crutches. I try to do ankle pumps and circles and then pull on toes to stretch the foot/fascia before I get out of bed and it helps. And although it may feel better to keep moving, I also find the more active I am during the day, the more pain I have in the evenings. At 8 weeks I'm just now gradually trying to increase the activity level. You could try less walking just to see if that decreases the evening pain; for me it did. Hope you hear from your doctor soon.

Susan U on 5/10/01 at 12:03 (047348)

Boy, you sure are having trouble! I think we had our surgery at about the same time, if I remember correctly. Mine was 4/11. I still have the same old pain in the morning, like you said. It takes a few steps to get it to ease up. Maybe you're doing too much walking during the day, so the downtime is a shock to your foot. I have been using a quadcane for 3 weeks now. I try to sit as much as possible during the day--always with my foot up. Everything I've read or been told by my dr. is figure 2-4 months for total healing, so don't get impatient. I don't have orthodics, but I wear a good walking shoe. It hurts like crazy when I take my shoe off in the evening, but it lets up soon afterwards. Hang in there Tammie!

Re: Re:Maybe a thought

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 12:32 (047350)

Well ladies , I am not sure what is going on but going to try to figure this out.Susan yes I had it the 17,I was following your posts trying to see if I was on same track. My dr, gave me a cam boot after surgery , and said to start bearing weight from start a bit at a time , and to get rid of crutches in a week, which I did as I was a clutz anyways. Then is stating I should get rid of cam boot and into my shoes with the orthodic ,and wanted that done befor I go back next thurs. then they were going to do some pt for the last 2 weeks so I could return to work on june 4 which is 6 weeks he said.I will say I have done all that they have asked me to , I will admit I do not rest during the day much but they seemed to encourage me to keep moving on it but then they tell me to listen to pain and body, I dont know I feel quite confused as to what I should be able to do. I think today I am going to just start investigating on my own, I maybe trying to do to much especially this week as allot happening, along with moving my son out of his dorm as college is out ,but really I didnt do to much of that,But I do my normal house routine and go here and there without giving it a second thougth as everyone thinks I am fine now cause surgery is over. After the first week I would say I was back on feet almost like normal except for the at work I was not there doing my job then.I just think I am one of those people who needs to be told exactly what they expect and exactly lol when it is ok to call and worry. I just thought this would have no pain by now, I mean they kept saying in shoes in 10 days and back to work in 4 weeks well if I had to go back today or even next week, which would be 4 weeks I could not do it no way, I can feel some pain during the day but what is normal healing pain and normal useage pain. And what is pain that needs to be seen. I do know if there was a dr. at the office last night at 10 I would have been calling as THAT was not pain that I was tolerating well. But when I call in day and they see it is back to normal, Why I dont have a clue Maybe I am a hypo ,But I did know that the pain at night is enough to make me tempted to do something drastic to relieve it . Well thanks I am trying to figure this out. Thanks

Re: How are you doing tonight?

Pauline on 5/10/01 at 17:04 (047380)

Tammie,
It's getting toward evening where I live. How are you doing? Did you notice any difference between yesterday and today? Depending on where you live it could still be too early in the day to tell. Your foot reminds me of how a fever reacts, usually getting worst at night. I hope it's a better night for you.

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 19:20 (047393)

My foot and ankle are starting already yes, I can feel it I jsut took a bath and soaked for a bit as I have a whirlpool tub. I lotioned it up after and massaged it and yes it is throbing and starting the ankle is throbbing and the top of foot . Anyways I am truly discouraged. And my Dr. never found time to get back to me of course! I should have known . Today I tried a different pair of shoes. Bye the looks of it it is not going to help. I am gonna give up I think. I am tiered of worrying about it now I am going to let what is gonna be be. And if I cannot stand it anymore I will just go to the er room. I hate feet very much. Who would have ever guessed they could cause u so much pain and turmoil. I am going to live one day at a time I am tired of getting up in the morning wondering if it will be better to day I am tired of wondering if tonight I will sleep with no pain I am tired of family asking if it is all better, I just am plain tired a matter of fact, and I must move on with my life as I have NEVER let anything hold me down for long.Thanks and thanks to all who have helped or cared. I thought about trying to tape again maybe tomorrow. Will see . Wondering where my friends all went Val and Laurie maybe they were the smart ones . I think that there is no permenant fix just something I will like so many others will have to deal with and someday maybe the miracle will happen and will let u all know!!! Good night now and again thanks I wish there was not so much turmoil and rules here it has taken alot away from the friendly place to come

Re: Pain meds

BrianG on 5/10/01 at 20:01 (047395)

Hi Tammie,

I did a little research and found a couple of meds you may want to ask your doc to prescribe, although many docs do not like patients to sugest anything. You can also ask your family doc for help. Roxinal is the brand name for morphine sulfate. Oxycodone is simply codeine. If you feel like some reading about pain treatments that may help, go to http://www.pain.com
I really hate it that your doc doesn't seem to be compassionate enough to believe the amount of pain your in. I believe an informed patient can sometimes work a little better with their doc. Check out the web site, you might find something else that may help you. Here's hoping you get some sleep tonight.

BCG

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 20:23 (047399)

I thank u very much for the care u feel and the time u have put in for me! I really am not much of a pill person really lol! I see people with pills who try to live there lives thru them and I am not that way I do take when I have to or if I cannot tolerate it any more in fact I am a bad one I self medicate see my hubby has RArthritis and has plenty of medications here ,and if I need I could use his which is not to smart but works if needed. I do not want to beg any dr. for pain medication I trust there judgement even tho they dont seem to take it like I kn0ow what i am saying. But any ways if I asked again he will for sure think I am either a hypo or a junkie although he has only given me 20 darvecet since surgery and I have 2 left. And that was 3 and half weeks ago. He did give me vicoden but had the reaction to them and he made me return them to him. I did. I do not have a family dr. for me believe that ? I am never or have never been a sick person lol I am 41 and reasonably healthy and I do not go to a dr. for much just my foot and Gyn. and he takes care of my thyroid pills also. So see I do not even have a dr. like that to help me . I dont care I dont have allot of trust in dr.s. They are not my most favorite people . I have found that most are uncomfortable if u have knowledge of what they are treating my hubbys ra dr. was very offended when I researched his meds and his condition and I questioned why he chose his treatment and various meds. I cannot go with him any longer as it makes us all uncomfortable. I just wanted to know about his illness and his medication but I think the dr. felt threatened. The PA understood and was very helpful to us both and she could not understand either. But he is a wonderful dr. and my hubby loves his PA and feels comfortable with him so that is that.Once when my son was younger he had tonsils out and he had high fever a few days after I called surgon and he called me a neroutic mother that fever after that was normal ,and it was in the end fine, but after that I have always waited and hate to call a dr. for anything.I hope that I am not neroutic as I try to get informed as I have done here but well maybe they perfer me dumb. I am in allot of ways . Well I am going to go now as I am rattling on and I may get in trouble. Thanks again for the care I must be sure I thank all I really apreciate it.

Julie on 5/11/01 at 01:53 (047412)

Hi Tammie

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I get the feeling that you think you ought to be better now, and so are trying hard to 'get bacl to normal'. But you've had surgery only four weeks ago, and four weeks is nothing. You should really be resting. One remark that sticks out of one of your posts it that you're less aware of the pain when you walk around (hope I've got that right) - but I'd guess it's the walking around that is holding up your healing. Please try to stay off your feet as much as possible. If you don't absolutely have to go to work, don't. Get a few good books or magazines, or park yourself in front of the TV, and put your feet up.

Try to be patient. Four weeks is nothing, and the more you are able to rest your feet the quicker you will heal.

I wish you all the best

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:28 (047418)

Tammie, I'm not a pill person either, but I do think that one ought to take painkillers when one is in severe pain.Folks who are anti-pills tend to let the pain get to an extreme level before doing anything about it, and it is then difficult, and takes more medicine, to lower it: that means taking it regularly, not just on and off when the pain is unbearable .

After my mastectomy surgery years ago I was advised to take enough medication to maintain the pain at a low level. That was good advice, and I took it, and it helped me.

Do think about it. You won't need pain medication for long, but while you're taking it you will feel a whole lot better.

Lisa C. on 5/11/01 at 03:24 (047424)

Hi Tammie,
Your night time foot pain reminded me of my husbands pain. He has neuropathy. He is diabetic and it is in both feet. Just made me think that if it is at its worst at night, could some nerves have been disturbed during surgery? Probably not, maybe you can't even get it that way, but my husband has ALOT of pain & mainly at night. (Has your doctor ruled out the night pain being anything else other then post op pain?) My pn can be at its absolute worst at night too. Anytime I sit and relax then get up & walk it is bad but at the end of a normal day, if I sit for 30 minutes then get up, I walk like Redd Fox in the old Sanford & Son shows. My husband has been known to grab his heart & say 'Elizabeth I'm coming'... I love the Heelspurs.com advice of resting & taking it easy. Your not lazy you are working hard at healing so you can have a more painfree & productive future!

BrianG on 5/11/01 at 12:14 (047477)

Hi Tammie,

I'm sorry that I've gone on about the pain meds to you. I should realize everyone has different ideas about how to deal with pain. In my particular situation, I know it would be impossible for me to work without pain meds. If I can't work, I can apply for Social Security disabilty. After the 3 year wait, there is a good chance I'll be turned down. At that time I would have gone through all my savings, sold my house, and then what?????
I would be screwed. Worst case scenerio, I could be homeless, and still have terrible chronic pain.

This is why I know I must take my pills 3 times a day. I don't get a buzz, I don't crave them, they are just 3 little pills I must take to live life as normal as possible. I think that if somewhere down the line, you had run into a doctor who actually listened and cared for you, things might be different. All doctors are not like the few you have run into. Thank god for the compassionate doctors, who will listen. I hope you find one some day. They are like night and day. Keep on healing, I'm praying for you.

BCG

Andrea R. on 5/11/01 at 12:51 (047486)

Tammie,

I've been following your recovery with great interest. I'm scheduled for surgery on my left foot on Wednesday.

I had shoulder surgery last year and the physical therapist had me icing after each session. It did more for the pain and worked faster than anything else.

Your bath and soak in the whirlpool tub may also be aggravating your pain. The heat doesn't help the internal inflamation you probably still have. That's why everyone says ICE IT! The ice reduces the inflamation which in turn reduces the pain. I have to ice my foot after I use the hot tub. Don't stop the soaking, just finish with ice.

My doctor told me I won't be putting any weight on my foot for at least a week. I won't be starting PT for about six weeks.

Good Luck.

Re: Re:Brian,And Friends

Tammie on 5/11/01 at 14:54 (047505)

Brian I am so sorry for u ,I feel so bad. I know it must be truly hard for u and I just wanted u to know I checked into the site u gave me. Every case is different I am sure of that as you can see that here! But it seems in all cases there is plenty of pain to go around. I understand this and I know that I had the surgery thinking afterwards the pain would last minamal time and life would go on. And it still might! I have some thoughts about things and someone hee has pointed out a few things of my expectations which she may have hit the nail when she said that. I guess in my case maybe it is to early to expect pain free? I am not sure I do my normal activities except going to work, I am on leave till June. I think since I am not working I miles well be as I do almost as much walking but not the same when I am at home. But I have always thought that is what I am to do. I am rethinking my ways.I dont think it is my baths with heat as I do ice to. I am really thinking it is me , I am trying to much to fast. I have wore my shoes now all day for the last 2 days playing with them and puting orthodics in and out and icing in between and going without. I also think there is a problem with the fit of the one orthodic. That will be something I bring to there attention when I get the chance! My dr. seems to be so against pain meds. I am not sure why but that is the case and I will have to accept that unless I choose to change dr.s They feel 3 and a half weeks post op I should not have pain enough to warrent meds to take the ultram they had given me before or aleve or advil so I will do it and if it doesnt work I will see them thurs. then they can judge for thereselves my foot. I wish my appointment would be in the evening tho so they could see the real time it is flared. I have had allot of good input and allot of support and I want to thank u all for this. I hope we all can try to help each other! Here is a sunny day to all of my good friends and heres to the day we are all pain free and back to our lives!!!!

BrianG on 5/14/01 at 10:58 (047711)

Hi Tammie,

I hope you rested this past weekend, and your pain levels are slowly going down. Rest, Rest, REST :*)

BCG

Tammie on 5/14/01 at 12:29 (047717)

LOL Oh Brian u did make me laugh or at least chuckle reading that rest =healing.I am hanging around and well what can I say? Daytime is good maybe a 3 to a 5 so pretty good ! Nightime is a nightmare and for the darn life of me I cannot figure that out at all. But will continue trying till I see the dr. on thurs, and then to convince them that it is the nightmare from below at night it can be a 8 to a 10+ not much below tho till I finally get to sleep which I still wake up often with the pains .If I hang my foot over the bed and move it it seems to relieve it for a while. I dont know but it seems like in evening when I take off my shoe all heck breaks loose,I dont even stand on the foot and still goes crazy.Oh well I am curious what will happen when I return to work, I am looking foward to it but wonder what will happen with the foot then. Well they did mention Pt so maybe that will be the difference or I thought about trying the tape thing again but have been worried I might do more harm. I am more aware of a constant throbbing during the day on the outside of my foot and if I try to bend my foot down toes to ground point it is a pain on outside of foot enough to make u stop in tracks .Maybe that is why I do not like to sit around .Well in any case I am playing the waiting game,and figuring that even if I do get a chance to open my mouth noone is going to listen to me anyway. So got to deal with it. I may have to take up a night time job to lol.See I still can find humor today,got to have a laugh if not get to self involved with piety. So now how are u doing?I have read so much here that I feel as tho I am really lucky to have only this for about a year if it were years I dont know if I could have survived this all . I at least keep thinking there is hope yet as it is still early at least people keep telling me this So that keeps me upbeat,as I cannot think of the other possibilities. Keep in touch Brian ! I enjoy hearing from u! It is quite interesting at how knowledgable you and so many others are here at this site! Have a good day!