Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical Therapy Hurt Me (Again)...

Posted by Cynthia D on 5/09/01 at 21:43 (047264)

The ultrasound and my feet do not get along. Has anyone else experienced this? Before ESWT, ultrasound made my feet swollen, hot and sore for two-three days! I hadn't tried it yet since ESWT, which was 13 weeks ago. I thought I'd give it a go yesterday, and too bad as I was having a fine day, and now I'm swollen and in pain again. Has this happened to anyone else? Needless to say, I won't try that again.

Re: Physical Therapy Hurt Me (Again)...

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 22:02 (047268)

Good old ice today and then some heat tommorrow. It is a sound wave much like ESWT except different type of penetration into the foot. Both increase the heat into the area. That could be why the swelling.

Pauline on 5/09/01 at 22:30 (047269)

Cynthia,
I have experienced the same thing that you are describing with ultrasound
from physical therapy. After I saw the same results on several occasions,
I made the decision not have any more ultrasound treatments. I iced
and was able to use a 10% cortisone cream prescribed by my doctor to lower
the swelling. It took about 2 days and things were pretty much back to normal. I still use the cream occasionally. This is what I have done although I cannot recommend that it be your treatment because I am no doctor. This posting is not meant to be offensive to you in anyway. I simply hope you gain some information from it.

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 01:28 (047284)

Cynthia,

My feet would get swollen, sore, and hot from ultra sound unless the PT would do electrical stim with ice after, or at least ice packs immediately after the treatment. The electrial stim with ice is more effective though in bringing down the swelling. You can do additional icing later, but it's important to do it very soon after the ultra sound treatment. My feet felt great with that combination.

Donna

Barb-NY on 5/10/01 at 10:47 (047332)

The first few times I received ultrasound on my feet, they felt great. The next treatments made my feet really hurt the next day. I told my PT to stop the treatments. He couldn't understand why ultrasound would do this. My Chiro friend told me ultrasound can indeed make things worse. After that my PT switched to electric stimulation and that made my feet feel much better.

Sherrie M. on 5/10/01 at 17:02 (047379)

Cynthia, I'm so sorry to hear that pt hurts. Try the ice after, it helps! Have you been stretching? I know you said that you didn't want to stretch after treatment, just wondering if you are tight in the arch or other areas of your feet? Some days I wake up stiff and it starts to feel a little better the more I move around.Do you ever get throbbing in the area you received treatment? And I was also wondering if Blue Cross paid for any of your treatment? Just a few things on my mind. Sherrie

Re: Thanks for the advice

Cynthia D on 5/11/01 at 20:00 (047536)

Sorry I forgot to 'check back' into this category to answer you all. I did what you all advised and iced a little, though ice sometimes make my feet hurt more :( . It took two full days to get out of constant, achy pain. Today the reaction I had to ultrasound is pretty much worn off and the swelling has gone down, though not totally. I did try e-stim with ice after ultrasound before and the reaction was still the same. So I'm not ever having ultrasound on my feet ever again!

Sherrie, I have been stretching, at least a little every day, and my feet definately get more limber after I've been awake a while. I have about 100 - 300 good steps in me for the day, after that any standing or walking hurts. Blue Cross does pay for my pt with a referral from my physician. Hope I answered all your questions.

And don't forget taping! If anyone has looked at Scott's pictures of how he tapes and haven't tried it, please do so at once! I've found it makes a huge difference in how much pain I have when taking a step. Don't know what took me so long to try it. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Julie on 5/12/01 at 01:30 (047554)

I heard that. Cynthia! Sooo, it seems that my incessant taping lectures have paid off!

Just kidding. I'm really glad you're finding tape a help. I think it would make a difference for most people.

Did you have to experiment for awhile to get the technique and the tension right, or did it help immediately? I'm sure others would find your experience helpful. Do join me on the Tape Afficianado soapbox.

All the best, Julie

Cynthia D on 5/12/01 at 09:18 (047572)

I laughed so hard, I almost fell off my chair! I'm happy to hear you joking. Yes, yes, yes, consider all your time and efforts worthwhile, even for a die-hard heelspur addict like me! I just don't know why I didn't tape sooner! I did have to play with the tension and move one end closer to my big toe or it would pull the second toe too much. I tried one day a wider tape and that hurt, hurt. So it is important to try different tapes. PS my husband is in the publishing business, I'm going to look up your email if you have posted it before to tell you about it. Take care.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/01 at 22:02 (047268)

Good old ice today and then some heat tommorrow. It is a sound wave much like ESWT except different type of penetration into the foot. Both increase the heat into the area. That could be why the swelling.

Pauline on 5/09/01 at 22:30 (047269)

Cynthia,
I have experienced the same thing that you are describing with ultrasound
from physical therapy. After I saw the same results on several occasions,
I made the decision not have any more ultrasound treatments. I iced
and was able to use a 10% cortisone cream prescribed by my doctor to lower
the swelling. It took about 2 days and things were pretty much back to normal. I still use the cream occasionally. This is what I have done although I cannot recommend that it be your treatment because I am no doctor. This posting is not meant to be offensive to you in anyway. I simply hope you gain some information from it.

Donna SL on 5/10/01 at 01:28 (047284)

Cynthia,

My feet would get swollen, sore, and hot from ultra sound unless the PT would do electrical stim with ice after, or at least ice packs immediately after the treatment. The electrial stim with ice is more effective though in bringing down the swelling. You can do additional icing later, but it's important to do it very soon after the ultra sound treatment. My feet felt great with that combination.

Donna

Barb-NY on 5/10/01 at 10:47 (047332)

The first few times I received ultrasound on my feet, they felt great. The next treatments made my feet really hurt the next day. I told my PT to stop the treatments. He couldn't understand why ultrasound would do this. My Chiro friend told me ultrasound can indeed make things worse. After that my PT switched to electric stimulation and that made my feet feel much better.

Sherrie M. on 5/10/01 at 17:02 (047379)

Cynthia, I'm so sorry to hear that pt hurts. Try the ice after, it helps! Have you been stretching? I know you said that you didn't want to stretch after treatment, just wondering if you are tight in the arch or other areas of your feet? Some days I wake up stiff and it starts to feel a little better the more I move around.Do you ever get throbbing in the area you received treatment? And I was also wondering if Blue Cross paid for any of your treatment? Just a few things on my mind. Sherrie

Cynthia D on 5/11/01 at 20:00 (047536)

Sorry I forgot to 'check back' into this category to answer you all. I did what you all advised and iced a little, though ice sometimes make my feet hurt more :( . It took two full days to get out of constant, achy pain. Today the reaction I had to ultrasound is pretty much worn off and the swelling has gone down, though not totally. I did try e-stim with ice after ultrasound before and the reaction was still the same. So I'm not ever having ultrasound on my feet ever again!

Sherrie, I have been stretching, at least a little every day, and my feet definately get more limber after I've been awake a while. I have about 100 - 300 good steps in me for the day, after that any standing or walking hurts. Blue Cross does pay for my pt with a referral from my physician. Hope I answered all your questions.

And don't forget taping! If anyone has looked at Scott's pictures of how he tapes and haven't tried it, please do so at once! I've found it makes a huge difference in how much pain I have when taking a step. Don't know what took me so long to try it. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Julie on 5/12/01 at 01:30 (047554)

I heard that. Cynthia! Sooo, it seems that my incessant taping lectures have paid off!

Just kidding. I'm really glad you're finding tape a help. I think it would make a difference for most people.

Did you have to experiment for awhile to get the technique and the tension right, or did it help immediately? I'm sure others would find your experience helpful. Do join me on the Tape Afficianado soapbox.

All the best, Julie

Cynthia D on 5/12/01 at 09:18 (047572)

I laughed so hard, I almost fell off my chair! I'm happy to hear you joking. Yes, yes, yes, consider all your time and efforts worthwhile, even for a die-hard heelspur addict like me! I just don't know why I didn't tape sooner! I did have to play with the tension and move one end closer to my big toe or it would pull the second toe too much. I tried one day a wider tape and that hurt, hurt. So it is important to try different tapes. PS my husband is in the publishing business, I'm going to look up your email if you have posted it before to tell you about it. Take care.