Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do they do in a bone scan?

Posted by Sonja on 5/09/01 at 23:52 (047277)

5 months after PF surgery and many cortisone shots, I am in excruciating pain. My foot swells huge and is unbearable. Dr. Zuckerman told me to get checked for stress fracture. I've been to the Dr. several times complaining and finally today he had xrays done after I broke down in tears and begged. He said I need a bone scan right away as there are several fractures and a piece of bone in there. What should I expect?

Re: What do they do in a bone scan?

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 06:55 (047304)

They inject a small amount of radio active material into a vein. Tiny shot - less radioactivity than an xray.

You drink lots of water for about 45 minutes (to help process the dye and distribute it).

Then you sit still while they take pictures. Other than the tiny needle it's painless. You drink lots of water for a few days after to flush the stuff out of your system.

Piece of cake - I've had three - you'll do fine. I hope you get a nice tech - ask them lots of questions!

Sonja on 5/10/01 at 09:48 (047326)

Thank you for your response, Wendyn. I meant to thank Dr. Zuckerman in my last post as well. Not that I want them to find something, I just hope they can finally resolve this somehow. Now I know what to expect it isn't as nerve-wracking.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/10/01 at 10:02 (047327)

The only other thing I can think of is that the testing can take six hours . The take the films then have you could back in a few hours. and then again in other few hours. This is called a three phase bone scan.

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 12:58 (047355)

I guess it depends on the type - mine was only about 2 hours from injection to finish.

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 06:55 (047304)

They inject a small amount of radio active material into a vein. Tiny shot - less radioactivity than an xray.

You drink lots of water for about 45 minutes (to help process the dye and distribute it).

Then you sit still while they take pictures. Other than the tiny needle it's painless. You drink lots of water for a few days after to flush the stuff out of your system.

Piece of cake - I've had three - you'll do fine. I hope you get a nice tech - ask them lots of questions!

Sonja on 5/10/01 at 09:48 (047326)

Thank you for your response, Wendyn. I meant to thank Dr. Zuckerman in my last post as well. Not that I want them to find something, I just hope they can finally resolve this somehow. Now I know what to expect it isn't as nerve-wracking.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/10/01 at 10:02 (047327)

The only other thing I can think of is that the testing can take six hours . The take the films then have you could back in a few hours. and then again in other few hours. This is called a three phase bone scan.

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 12:58 (047355)

I guess it depends on the type - mine was only about 2 hours from injection to finish.