Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shots

Posted by Lori B. on 5/10/01 at 00:47 (047280)

Well, I finally screwed up my courage today and let the Dr. give me a cortisone shot. He told me that I have about hit the wall on treatments and that the next thing we were going to have to consider was surgery, unless I would be willing to try the shots. Frankly, reading this web site didn't instill too much confidence in me about the shots--they hurt abominably, and they only last about 6 weeks, so I was really nervous about the pain of getting the shot. But I have to say, it was not that bad. The DR. went really slow and let me know what he was doing. (He laid me back and I couldn't see; probably a good thing.) There was a little sting when the needle went in, and the a series of burning, stinging sensations that were somewhat uncomfortable, but bearable. It was over pretty quickly. Actually, If I had to make a choice, I would choose a cortisone shot in my foot as opposed to a shot in my mouth for dental work. It really was not the big deal I was led to believe.
As far as it's effectiveness, it might be a little soon to tell, but my heel is feeling pretty good so far. The pain is mostly gone, and by Fri. I expect I will be feeling pretty good. I hope this is a permanant fix, but we will see what the next 6 weeks bring. I hope this helps someone else who is considering whether or not to have cortisone shots. I will update in a few days and let y'all know how it's going.

Re: Cortisone shots

Denise D. on 5/10/01 at 01:26 (047283)

I just discovered this web-site and it's great to be able to communicate with other people having the same problem. I have been having heel pain for about 3 months, I couldn't stand it any longer so with much apprehension I went to a Podiatrist today. I had been scared by other people telling me how painful the shots were, so I knew going in it wasn't going to be pleasant. Well after x-rays confirmed that I had a heel spur, he said he first wanted to treat me with the injections, I must have turned white as a ghost because he began to explain that it wasn't painful at all. Well after feeling comfortable with the Dr. and not even wanting to discuss surgery, I gave him the go ahead. Guess what, it didn't hurt at all!!! First he gave me a shot to numb the foot, that just barely stung, then he slowly gave me a synthetic steroid, he said if it was painful going in he would stop, but I didn't feel a thing. I walked out of the office without pain, and at this point my foot feels ok, the only sensation I have is a little stinging on the back side of my heel. My job requires me to be on my feet a lot, so time will tell if its going to work. I bought a pair of New Balance walking shoes, and will be very careful from now on concerning my feet. I go back to the Dr. Next week for a follow-up, just praying that in the meantime the pain stays gone.
Weeks prior to seeing the Dr. I found that using a rolling pin on the bottom of my foot really helped. Lay the rolling pin on the floor and slowly and gently roll your foot back and forth, also a small plastic beverage bottle filled with water and frozen works great as well.
Good luck to you, and I will see how this shot works and respond back if there's any change. Denise

Julie on 5/10/01 at 02:04 (047286)

Hi Denise

Have you read the heel pain book yet, Denise? Do, and print it out so you can study it. It contains a wealth of information about heel pain and a great number of treatment ideas. I hope the shot you got works for you, but it may not be the complete answer, so do inform yourself and be active in your healing. PF can take a long time to abate - it depends on several factors, among them your age and how long you've had it.

The first thing to know is that the fascia, which has been injured, needs rest in order to heal. Resting means: staying off your feet as much as you can, and understanding that when you are on them, your arches need support all the time. So never go barefoot (not even to go to the loo in the night - keep good shoes with arch support by your bed), and look into taping, which is a very good way to rest the fascia, because it supplies the support the fascia isn't now giving the arch. Part 2 of the heel pain book has a section on taping.

Bes t of luck, and let us know how you fare.

john h on 5/10/01 at 10:55 (047334)

lori do not be lulled into thinking your are cured. several days after my shot i thought i had found the holy grail of the PF cure and proceeded to go crazy doing things and of course i regressed. continue to take it easy and treat your foot with care. the shot was no big deal to me either. taking a very very deep breath just prior to shot and exhale as the shot is given will help many people with what ever pain they are feeling.

Denise on 5/10/01 at 11:09 (047339)

Hello Julie,
Thanks for the response and information, I do appreciate it. I will take the advise given, that is something my Dr. didn't talk to me about (never go barefoot,etc). It does make since that in order to heal it must rest, my problem is my job requires me to be on my feet and walking a lot during the day. I have a post-op boot that my cousin is letting me use, do you think I should were it all the time?
Since I had the shots yesterday morning, I rejoiced when I got up this morning without pain, the only problem so far is a burning sensation on the back side of my heel, which just lasts a few seconds.
Thanks again and keep in touch,
Denise

Denise on 5/10/01 at 11:14 (047341)

Thanks for the comments John, I will take your advise, so how are you doing now? I never realized how important our feet are and how we should take care of them. I'm 46 and never had foot problems in my life and boy how I've learned!!!
Denise

Re: Boy do I agree with that !!!

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 11:39 (047344)

Denise,
I totally agree with This statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you good luck !!! This is a very imformitive site isnt it.?

Denise on 5/10/01 at 13:13 (047359)

Hi Tammie,
What type of problems are you having? More heads are better than one at trying to get a handle on heel spur pain, lets all continue to help one another with information and hopefuly we can ALL overcome this debilating problem.
Denise

Marty on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047398)

Well I just had my second shot and all was well untill today. And yes it has been 6 weeks this week :( It is so hard to stay off them after haveing this proglem most of my life. It has flared up bad for the past 4 years. I'm waiting till the new machine show's up in Utah and my insurance cover's it.

-Marty

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:05 (047413)

Hi Denise

I didn't pick up from your first post that you have a job that requires you to be on your feet a lot. This may be the cause, or one of the causes, of your problem: it's known that standing a lot, especially on hard surfaces, can cause PF, and we've had several posters here - teachers, nurses, floor managers - who have developed PF because of this.

Could you tell us more about your job so that perhaps we can give you some thoughts on how to modify it? It would be silly to make suggestions without more information, so please tell us all you can.

John has given you good advice. A cortisone shot can give quick relief, but it isn't necessarily permanent, and you can do damage by being over-confident. (There is a post on another thread from tdaddy, who may have ruptured his ligament by running following a shot.)

All the best, Julie

john h on 5/11/01 at 09:18 (047443)

marty: are you saying the 2nd shot did not help or that it helped for 6 weeks.

Paula G on 5/11/01 at 10:40 (047457)

I hope the shot works for you. I had one and I was actually pain free for about 6 weeks...It felt so good...It got me through the holidays. I am not sure how many times they will give the shots, but I think that they do help.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/11/01 at 20:30 (047538)

Marty, keepin mind that you will need to wait 2-3 months after your last injection before having ESWT!!!

Denise on 5/12/01 at 00:53 (047551)

Hello Julie,
To answer your question, I work as a warehouse manager for an antique auction gallery. This requires me being on my feet all day and walking on concrete, I do realize this isn't the best atmosphere for someone just diagnosed with a heel spur, but I've got to work. Thursdays are what I call my 'relief' days, thats when I'm in the office sitting at a computer. Friday I worked with some soreness in my heel and had a burning sensation on the back of it. I have a tendency to try and walk flat-footed instead of heel to toe.
Any information on how I can make it through the day would be greatly appreciated.
Denise

Julie on 5/12/01 at 01:52 (047556)

Hi Denise

It can't be easy for you to make it through the day with this job! My sympathies.

Do please read the heel pain book if you haven't done so already. Print it out and study it carefully. You will find many ideas for treatment, and some of them may help. I mentioned taping a couple of days ago. This is the first and most important thing to try. Taping replaces the support your arches need, and have lost due to the injury to the plantar fascia. The simplest method described in the taping section of the book calls for two strips of tape that connect the ball of the foot and the heel. There is an illustration. The instructions are easy to follow, but you will probably have to experiment with the tension a bit to get it right: if it's not tight enough, it won't be supportive, and if it's too tight it will be uncomfortable.

You need a good quality tape: I use Leuko tape 3.5cm, made by Beiersdorf. And it's a good idea to removethe tape every night (lighter fluid gets rid of the sticky residue) - it loses its tension, and the skin should be allowed to breathe and recover.

I'll leave it there - try it, and let me know how you get on. I hope you'll find it a help.

You may also find it helpful to wear an ankle support (Futuro is good) - it's an elastic 'sock' with a hole for the heel, that supports the arch as well as the ankle. I use one as well as tape if I'm going to be on my feet a lot - or instead of tape, for normal activity.

BUT - and it's a big but - it isn't the answer. If you want to get better, i.e. if you want this injury, for that's what it is, to heal so that you can live a painfree or relatively painfree life again, you are going to have to re-think your job. Being on your feet on concrete floors all day is a prescription for disaster: you could end up with a chronic and totally disabling condition. I'm sorry to be the voice of doom - but you do have to think about it.

What are the possibilities for getting transferred to different duties in the firm. Could you, temporarily at least, until you heal, do one of the office jobs? Is your employer a sympathetic sort of a person? Can you discuss this with him or her and explore the possibilities? Be open to any possibility that will get you off your feet for most of the time, because that is what you need to do.
Plantar fasciitis is an injury to the fascia, and it needs rest, and time, in order to heal. That really is the bottom line, so I hope you'll be able to sort out the job and get off those concrete floors.

Please stay around and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

Re: PS

Julie on 5/12/01 at 01:57 (047557)

Supporting your arches by taping and/or an elastic support might also help to to return to your normal gait. Heel pain causes us to compensate by changing our gait - limping, walking on the sides of the feet, walking flat-footed - which inevitably has an effect elsewhere in the body, resulting in knee, hip or lower back problems.

Denise on 5/12/01 at 13:45 (047597)

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your good advise. I will try your recommendations. Where can I get the ankle support and tape your talking about? Also when you say the foot has to heal, how long would that take? I realize that is a hard question to answer since everybody is different, but I'm just trying to get as much info as I possibly can.
I appreciate you and your time,
Denise

Re: Ankle brace

Nancy N on 5/12/01 at 14:51 (047604)

Denise--

You should be able to find the ankle brace at CVS or Wal-Mart for sure. I'm sure other pharmacy-type stores would have them, too. They'll probably be where the Ace bandages are. I have the Futuro ankle braces and like them a lot.

Can't help you with the tape, but I know John H posted a link a little while ago to an online retailer that sells Julie's preferred brand of tape.

Julie on 5/12/01 at 14:56 (047605)

I don't know, as I live in England and am not au fait with US shopping! I think you should be able to get the Futuro from good pharmacies or sports stores. I don't know about the tape. John H posted a link awhile ago for buying it on line - if he sees this, perhaps he will point you to it. (John? Are you there?) If you can't get Leuko tape, I'm sure there are other good ones: it's just that I use this one (my pod introduced me to it and said it was the best) and love it.

Healing time? How long is a piece of string? It depends on lots of things: how long you've had PF, your age, and the effectiveness of the measures you take to deal with it. I had a (young) student who got it from running and said it took him a month to get over it. It took me seven months to get to a relatively pain free state (with lots of rest, taping, icing and suitable exercise). And it can take years.

I don't want to discourage you, but the crucial thing is your job. I don't think anyone would give much for your chances of healing if you go on with a job that has you on your feet on a concrete floor all day, so do see what you can do about that!

Lori B. on 5/15/01 at 00:46 (047759)

Wow, you are sure right, John, I didn't go crazy doing things because my foot suddenly felt better, because actually, it only felt better for about 24 hours. The pain is lessened on the bottom of my heel where one spur is, but it is the same on the back of my heel where the latest spur has developed. It feels like the tendon is ripping out at the insertion point. It makes it hard to tell if the cortisone has really helped because I still have pain. I think I will get the shot in my left foot which is also painful, but just not as bad as my right, and hopefully it will alleviate that pain altogether. My Dr. says that if this doesn't work,(and it doesn't appear that it is.) then we are at the wall as far as any more treatments working and are probably looking at surgery, which I am pretty sure I don't want to have because of the looooooooong recovery period. So, apparently for me the cortisone didn't work, so I am anxious to see what my pod decides to do next. Any other advice you can give me will be welcome.

Lori B. on 5/15/01 at 17:02 (047833)

Marty, greetings to a fellow Utahn! I also am waiting until the ESWT machine shows up in Utah. Who is your Pod? I am currently seeing J. Scott MacKay and he said he was going to bring up the possibility of his podiatry group purchasing a machine and sharing the cost and use of it. Would be great, but even if they get one, you know the insurance co. will be a long time in coming before they agree to pay. We could be suffering with this another 5+ yrs. Ain't that a bummer?

Re: Where did they inject?

Jana on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047870)

When they did your injections, where did they put a shot?
Directly into the bottom of your foot or the side of your arch?

Denise on 5/16/01 at 01:17 (047899)

Hi Jana,
When I had my injections last week, the Dr. put it in the side of my heel, I'm not pain free but at least it's better than before the shots.
I had no pain whatsoever from the injection. Why do you ask?
Denise

Re: Cortisone shots -- Some comments

Bill E. on 5/16/01 at hrmin (047948)

I realize that this thread is way down on the board but I'll make a couple of quick comments.

I had a single cortisone shot and like many here, it didn't hurt much. It also relieved that pain for about a month. But then I was back to where I started. I am not an expert, but I have read that cortisone injections can actually weaken the tissue so can increase the risk of injury. There is also the warning that one should not think that the cortisone has fixed things, it just drastically decreases the inflammation. I don't really regret having the shot but I wouldn't do it again.

I, personally, think that the agressive use of multiple non-agressive treatments is the best answer. I am nearly recovered and will try to write a long post at the top to tell what worked for me.

Lori, (and perhaps others) I can see where being on your feet is a requirement of your job. You should pay extreme attention to your shoes!!! I suspect that you need support, plenty of cushioning in the heel, and perhaps some other structural modifications. Unfortunately this may take some experimentation.

Good luck!!
Bill

Jana on 5/22/01 at hrmin (048578)

My doctor said he generally goes in from the side of the foot. I was concerned about that because other people I've talked to said the needle goes into the bottom closer to where the pain is. One person I spoke with said she had one shot through the bottom of her foot and one shot through the top. I'm just not sure if I trust my doctor anymore since I have an improved; but maybe lack of improvement is the nature of this injury and it has nothing to do with the doctor_hard to say. Anyway, I've been suffering for going on two years and am starting to consider injections but like everyone else on the site I'm conflicted. Don't know if it'll do more harm than good. There are some doctors out there that won't even do the cortisone shots. Makes me concerned about doing them myself but I'm getting to my wits end.

Denise D. on 5/10/01 at 01:26 (047283)

I just discovered this web-site and it's great to be able to communicate with other people having the same problem. I have been having heel pain for about 3 months, I couldn't stand it any longer so with much apprehension I went to a Podiatrist today. I had been scared by other people telling me how painful the shots were, so I knew going in it wasn't going to be pleasant. Well after x-rays confirmed that I had a heel spur, he said he first wanted to treat me with the injections, I must have turned white as a ghost because he began to explain that it wasn't painful at all. Well after feeling comfortable with the Dr. and not even wanting to discuss surgery, I gave him the go ahead. Guess what, it didn't hurt at all!!! First he gave me a shot to numb the foot, that just barely stung, then he slowly gave me a synthetic steroid, he said if it was painful going in he would stop, but I didn't feel a thing. I walked out of the office without pain, and at this point my foot feels ok, the only sensation I have is a little stinging on the back side of my heel. My job requires me to be on my feet a lot, so time will tell if its going to work. I bought a pair of New Balance walking shoes, and will be very careful from now on concerning my feet. I go back to the Dr. Next week for a follow-up, just praying that in the meantime the pain stays gone.
Weeks prior to seeing the Dr. I found that using a rolling pin on the bottom of my foot really helped. Lay the rolling pin on the floor and slowly and gently roll your foot back and forth, also a small plastic beverage bottle filled with water and frozen works great as well.
Good luck to you, and I will see how this shot works and respond back if there's any change. Denise

Julie on 5/10/01 at 02:04 (047286)

Hi Denise

Have you read the heel pain book yet, Denise? Do, and print it out so you can study it. It contains a wealth of information about heel pain and a great number of treatment ideas. I hope the shot you got works for you, but it may not be the complete answer, so do inform yourself and be active in your healing. PF can take a long time to abate - it depends on several factors, among them your age and how long you've had it.

The first thing to know is that the fascia, which has been injured, needs rest in order to heal. Resting means: staying off your feet as much as you can, and understanding that when you are on them, your arches need support all the time. So never go barefoot (not even to go to the loo in the night - keep good shoes with arch support by your bed), and look into taping, which is a very good way to rest the fascia, because it supplies the support the fascia isn't now giving the arch. Part 2 of the heel pain book has a section on taping.

Bes t of luck, and let us know how you fare.

john h on 5/10/01 at 10:55 (047334)

lori do not be lulled into thinking your are cured. several days after my shot i thought i had found the holy grail of the PF cure and proceeded to go crazy doing things and of course i regressed. continue to take it easy and treat your foot with care. the shot was no big deal to me either. taking a very very deep breath just prior to shot and exhale as the shot is given will help many people with what ever pain they are feeling.

Denise on 5/10/01 at 11:09 (047339)

Hello Julie,
Thanks for the response and information, I do appreciate it. I will take the advise given, that is something my Dr. didn't talk to me about (never go barefoot,etc). It does make since that in order to heal it must rest, my problem is my job requires me to be on my feet and walking a lot during the day. I have a post-op boot that my cousin is letting me use, do you think I should were it all the time?
Since I had the shots yesterday morning, I rejoiced when I got up this morning without pain, the only problem so far is a burning sensation on the back side of my heel, which just lasts a few seconds.
Thanks again and keep in touch,
Denise

Denise on 5/10/01 at 11:14 (047341)

Thanks for the comments John, I will take your advise, so how are you doing now? I never realized how important our feet are and how we should take care of them. I'm 46 and never had foot problems in my life and boy how I've learned!!!
Denise

Tammie on 5/10/01 at 11:39 (047344)

Denise,
I totally agree with This statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you good luck !!! This is a very imformitive site isnt it.?

Denise on 5/10/01 at 13:13 (047359)

Hi Tammie,
What type of problems are you having? More heads are better than one at trying to get a handle on heel spur pain, lets all continue to help one another with information and hopefuly we can ALL overcome this debilating problem.
Denise

Marty on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047398)

Well I just had my second shot and all was well untill today. And yes it has been 6 weeks this week :( It is so hard to stay off them after haveing this proglem most of my life. It has flared up bad for the past 4 years. I'm waiting till the new machine show's up in Utah and my insurance cover's it.

-Marty

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:05 (047413)

Hi Denise

I didn't pick up from your first post that you have a job that requires you to be on your feet a lot. This may be the cause, or one of the causes, of your problem: it's known that standing a lot, especially on hard surfaces, can cause PF, and we've had several posters here - teachers, nurses, floor managers - who have developed PF because of this.

Could you tell us more about your job so that perhaps we can give you some thoughts on how to modify it? It would be silly to make suggestions without more information, so please tell us all you can.

John has given you good advice. A cortisone shot can give quick relief, but it isn't necessarily permanent, and you can do damage by being over-confident. (There is a post on another thread from tdaddy, who may have ruptured his ligament by running following a shot.)

All the best, Julie

john h on 5/11/01 at 09:18 (047443)

marty: are you saying the 2nd shot did not help or that it helped for 6 weeks.

Paula G on 5/11/01 at 10:40 (047457)

I hope the shot works for you. I had one and I was actually pain free for about 6 weeks...It felt so good...It got me through the holidays. I am not sure how many times they will give the shots, but I think that they do help.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/11/01 at 20:30 (047538)

Marty, keepin mind that you will need to wait 2-3 months after your last injection before having ESWT!!!

Denise on 5/12/01 at 00:53 (047551)

Hello Julie,
To answer your question, I work as a warehouse manager for an antique auction gallery. This requires me being on my feet all day and walking on concrete, I do realize this isn't the best atmosphere for someone just diagnosed with a heel spur, but I've got to work. Thursdays are what I call my 'relief' days, thats when I'm in the office sitting at a computer. Friday I worked with some soreness in my heel and had a burning sensation on the back of it. I have a tendency to try and walk flat-footed instead of heel to toe.
Any information on how I can make it through the day would be greatly appreciated.
Denise

Julie on 5/12/01 at 01:52 (047556)

Hi Denise

It can't be easy for you to make it through the day with this job! My sympathies.

Do please read the heel pain book if you haven't done so already. Print it out and study it carefully. You will find many ideas for treatment, and some of them may help. I mentioned taping a couple of days ago. This is the first and most important thing to try. Taping replaces the support your arches need, and have lost due to the injury to the plantar fascia. The simplest method described in the taping section of the book calls for two strips of tape that connect the ball of the foot and the heel. There is an illustration. The instructions are easy to follow, but you will probably have to experiment with the tension a bit to get it right: if it's not tight enough, it won't be supportive, and if it's too tight it will be uncomfortable.

You need a good quality tape: I use Leuko tape 3.5cm, made by Beiersdorf. And it's a good idea to removethe tape every night (lighter fluid gets rid of the sticky residue) - it loses its tension, and the skin should be allowed to breathe and recover.

I'll leave it there - try it, and let me know how you get on. I hope you'll find it a help.

You may also find it helpful to wear an ankle support (Futuro is good) - it's an elastic 'sock' with a hole for the heel, that supports the arch as well as the ankle. I use one as well as tape if I'm going to be on my feet a lot - or instead of tape, for normal activity.

BUT - and it's a big but - it isn't the answer. If you want to get better, i.e. if you want this injury, for that's what it is, to heal so that you can live a painfree or relatively painfree life again, you are going to have to re-think your job. Being on your feet on concrete floors all day is a prescription for disaster: you could end up with a chronic and totally disabling condition. I'm sorry to be the voice of doom - but you do have to think about it.

What are the possibilities for getting transferred to different duties in the firm. Could you, temporarily at least, until you heal, do one of the office jobs? Is your employer a sympathetic sort of a person? Can you discuss this with him or her and explore the possibilities? Be open to any possibility that will get you off your feet for most of the time, because that is what you need to do.
Plantar fasciitis is an injury to the fascia, and it needs rest, and time, in order to heal. That really is the bottom line, so I hope you'll be able to sort out the job and get off those concrete floors.

Please stay around and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

Re: PS

Julie on 5/12/01 at 01:57 (047557)

Supporting your arches by taping and/or an elastic support might also help to to return to your normal gait. Heel pain causes us to compensate by changing our gait - limping, walking on the sides of the feet, walking flat-footed - which inevitably has an effect elsewhere in the body, resulting in knee, hip or lower back problems.

Denise on 5/12/01 at 13:45 (047597)

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your good advise. I will try your recommendations. Where can I get the ankle support and tape your talking about? Also when you say the foot has to heal, how long would that take? I realize that is a hard question to answer since everybody is different, but I'm just trying to get as much info as I possibly can.
I appreciate you and your time,
Denise

Re: Ankle brace

Nancy N on 5/12/01 at 14:51 (047604)

Denise--

You should be able to find the ankle brace at CVS or Wal-Mart for sure. I'm sure other pharmacy-type stores would have them, too. They'll probably be where the Ace bandages are. I have the Futuro ankle braces and like them a lot.

Can't help you with the tape, but I know John H posted a link a little while ago to an online retailer that sells Julie's preferred brand of tape.

Julie on 5/12/01 at 14:56 (047605)

I don't know, as I live in England and am not au fait with US shopping! I think you should be able to get the Futuro from good pharmacies or sports stores. I don't know about the tape. John H posted a link awhile ago for buying it on line - if he sees this, perhaps he will point you to it. (John? Are you there?) If you can't get Leuko tape, I'm sure there are other good ones: it's just that I use this one (my pod introduced me to it and said it was the best) and love it.

Healing time? How long is a piece of string? It depends on lots of things: how long you've had PF, your age, and the effectiveness of the measures you take to deal with it. I had a (young) student who got it from running and said it took him a month to get over it. It took me seven months to get to a relatively pain free state (with lots of rest, taping, icing and suitable exercise). And it can take years.

I don't want to discourage you, but the crucial thing is your job. I don't think anyone would give much for your chances of healing if you go on with a job that has you on your feet on a concrete floor all day, so do see what you can do about that!

Lori B. on 5/15/01 at 00:46 (047759)

Wow, you are sure right, John, I didn't go crazy doing things because my foot suddenly felt better, because actually, it only felt better for about 24 hours. The pain is lessened on the bottom of my heel where one spur is, but it is the same on the back of my heel where the latest spur has developed. It feels like the tendon is ripping out at the insertion point. It makes it hard to tell if the cortisone has really helped because I still have pain. I think I will get the shot in my left foot which is also painful, but just not as bad as my right, and hopefully it will alleviate that pain altogether. My Dr. says that if this doesn't work,(and it doesn't appear that it is.) then we are at the wall as far as any more treatments working and are probably looking at surgery, which I am pretty sure I don't want to have because of the looooooooong recovery period. So, apparently for me the cortisone didn't work, so I am anxious to see what my pod decides to do next. Any other advice you can give me will be welcome.

Lori B. on 5/15/01 at 17:02 (047833)

Marty, greetings to a fellow Utahn! I also am waiting until the ESWT machine shows up in Utah. Who is your Pod? I am currently seeing J. Scott MacKay and he said he was going to bring up the possibility of his podiatry group purchasing a machine and sharing the cost and use of it. Would be great, but even if they get one, you know the insurance co. will be a long time in coming before they agree to pay. We could be suffering with this another 5+ yrs. Ain't that a bummer?

Jana on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047870)

When they did your injections, where did they put a shot?
Directly into the bottom of your foot or the side of your arch?

Denise on 5/16/01 at 01:17 (047899)

Hi Jana,
When I had my injections last week, the Dr. put it in the side of my heel, I'm not pain free but at least it's better than before the shots.
I had no pain whatsoever from the injection. Why do you ask?
Denise

Re: Cortisone shots -- Some comments

Bill E. on 5/16/01 at hrmin (047948)

I realize that this thread is way down on the board but I'll make a couple of quick comments.

I had a single cortisone shot and like many here, it didn't hurt much. It also relieved that pain for about a month. But then I was back to where I started. I am not an expert, but I have read that cortisone injections can actually weaken the tissue so can increase the risk of injury. There is also the warning that one should not think that the cortisone has fixed things, it just drastically decreases the inflammation. I don't really regret having the shot but I wouldn't do it again.

I, personally, think that the agressive use of multiple non-agressive treatments is the best answer. I am nearly recovered and will try to write a long post at the top to tell what worked for me.

Lori, (and perhaps others) I can see where being on your feet is a requirement of your job. You should pay extreme attention to your shoes!!! I suspect that you need support, plenty of cushioning in the heel, and perhaps some other structural modifications. Unfortunately this may take some experimentation.

Good luck!!
Bill

Jana on 5/22/01 at hrmin (048578)

My doctor said he generally goes in from the side of the foot. I was concerned about that because other people I've talked to said the needle goes into the bottom closer to where the pain is. One person I spoke with said she had one shot through the bottom of her foot and one shot through the top. I'm just not sure if I trust my doctor anymore since I have an improved; but maybe lack of improvement is the nature of this injury and it has nothing to do with the doctor_hard to say. Anyway, I've been suffering for going on two years and am starting to consider injections but like everyone else on the site I'm conflicted. Don't know if it'll do more harm than good. There are some doctors out there that won't even do the cortisone shots. Makes me concerned about doing them myself but I'm getting to my wits end.