Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Irrelevant posts

Posted by Scott R on 5/10/01 at 06:21 (047299)

Wendy and Pauline and others, let's stay on topic. If you have to respond to a post with a post that is not about foot pain, post it here to the Social/Support board. My fouls are an exception to the rule. But no fighting here either!

New Rule This rule has been implied a little in the past, but here's some wording for it. When someone posts off-topic or mean, everyone has the right to lambast them in one reply each. If the person who started it with the first off-topic post a reply to getting lambasted, they get fouled (unless they are new and don't know this rule possibly one warning each) for starting an argument and/or off-topic posts. Only one off-topic or mean reply per lambaster in each thread is allowed. The idea is that everyone else gets to 'end it'. If someone jumps the gun and complains where I judge it isn't necessary, they get warned or fouled.

I'm leaving town for the weeked. If someone wants to be referee, let me know. If you want to recommend a foul for posts made while I'm gone, email me.

I know I'm half the problem with my rules and fouls and complaints, but what I'm trying to do is make the old-timers aware of what the rules are because they are the only ones who are mean or post off-topic. It appears they are nice at first but then get territorial.

Re: Apology

Julie on 5/10/01 at 06:27 (047302)

Scott, I posted my comment about Pauline's posts on the thread before coming to the SS board. I apologize.

Scott R on 5/10/01 at 07:13 (047307)

Julie, you don't have to apologize because you acted within the new rule. I need support from others before I do a foul. I want to know it's not just my personal opinion, and I want the person who is getting fouled to know that it's not just me. It is also a type of voting for a foul. Again, the new rule is that yuo can lambast someone in one and only one follow-up post ni response to an off-topic or mean post if it is fairly clear to me that they were in the wrong as you say, then they get fouled and you as the lambaster do not. Otherwise the lambaster is taking some risk if the foul isn't clear.

Re: Irrelevant posts

JudyS on 5/10/01 at 12:25 (047349)

Speaking of rules.....Scott, I have a bit of a concern about laypeople posting answers, especially to newbies, on the 'Ask the Foot Doctor' board. Lately I've seen treatment and pharmaceutical advice given there by people who are not doctors and it's a bit worrisome to me. I pretty much avoid posting on that board because I'm not a doctor. The exception for me is when I just want to give a poster a vote of support with the caution that I am not a doctor and they will get feedback from one.
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this recent trend?

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 13:06 (047357)

Judy - I hadn't noticed - but I don't always note where the posts are since I use the 'View messages since last visit'.

I do try to always start a response by 'I am not a doctor' - if I notice it's on the doctor board.

Sometimes we have a little more time to respond than the doctors - and maybe it's sometimes easier to put it into 'patient words'. I also think that new people automatically ask things on the doctor board - that many patients have a lot of information on.

Was it one of my posts in particular? Please let me know if I did something misleading...that's not my intent.

I did look up a link on a drug that someone had asked about - but I don't know if that's what you mean?

Maybe I will go over there and take a better look!

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 13:10 (047358)

Judy - I did a quick scan and I didn't think it was any more so than before.

I agree with your concern though - if the board is titled 'Ask the Doctors' - then one should assume there are only doctors on there answering.

We knew this was going to be an issue when Scott created that board. I would hate to see other posters banned from responding though - most often other patients also have very valuable information to offer.

Maybe there should be a qualifier or explanation on that board, or an obligation to start posts there with 'I am not a doctor....'?

What does everyone else think?

Cynthia D on 5/10/01 at 13:38 (047362)

I agree, Wendy. I feel so bad when there is a lonely little unanswered question there for a day or two with no answers. The person must feel sad on top of being in pain, when they return later to see no one helped them. I do like to offer advice there if it relates to my own experiences, and I think it's a good idea (liability wise, as well), to always inform them 'I'm not a doctor but this happened to me, too....' kind of sentence. That board has been so busy lately, I wish more doctors would 'tune in.'

JudyS on 5/10/01 at 21:04 (047404)

Not to worry, Wendy. It was most definately not a particular post of yours and I don't want to leave the impression that I'm 'finger pointing' at any particular post(s).
We all have such thorough experience with PF and related problems that it's natural to want to share our knowledge (that's what we're here for). I'm just concerned that we may inadvertantly say something, especially to a newcomer, that could mislead or panic a reader unnescessarily.
I like the suggestion that we try to answer on that board more for support and in order to reassure a poster that a doctor WILL be along to advise them.

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 22:03 (047409)

Thanks for the reminder Judy - I did notice that on a few of my responses I did not add 'I am not a doctor'...I think we should all be more careful so we do not mislead anyone.

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:37 (047419)

Judy, I know I'm one of the people you mean, so please let me too know if you feel I've over-stepped a line. I agree with Wendy that it's all right, and useful, for us to offer information there, as long as it's clear that it isn't coming from a doctor, and that we are speaking from our own experience.

Doctor Z has encouraged us to be a team and post there, and has said it is a help to him if we do take some of the responsibility. The doctors don't have a great deal of time to be on line, and sometimes new posts do go unanswered for a while, so a response from one of us may call a doctor's attention to the original post, which s/he may have missed.

I usually say 'I'm sure one of the doctors will respond'. But perhaps 'I am not a doctor' should be a required introduction.

JudyS on 5/11/01 at 11:18 (047465)

Julie Julie Julie..........you're such a sweetie and I need to be very clear that I wasn't targeting any single post or person..least of all you.
For some reason it just seemed like a bit of a trend so I thought we might want to be careful. And.....you're such a sweetie....I could never say so if I thought someone overstepped on this little thing - it's not for me to say. I only get poopy when it seems like someone's been rude!

Julie on 5/11/01 at 11:28 (047468)

Me? A sweetie? I'm blushing. Very rare for me! Thank you, dear Judy, and so are you.

CatherineL on 5/11/01 at 16:31 (047511)

Kinda new here, but here goes...

I've posted questions on the Ask the Dr board and have appreciated when others respond as well. We all have a lot of information to share.

CL

Ddr. Zuckerman on 5/11/01 at 18:13 (047524)

You are a sweetie Julie. A dam good British foot doctor too. !!!

wendyn on 5/11/01 at 18:51 (047528)

Thank you Catherine - that's good for all of us to know!

Re: Sweeties and foot doctors

Julie on 5/12/01 at 02:02 (047558)

Thank you kindly, doctor, but if we were having a sweetie competition, you would win it hands down.

Hey, I'm not even British, let alone a doctor. I'm an expatriate New Yorker, 40 years in London this year (my husband is British). And all I know about feet and heel pain I have learned on this website from you and others.

Julie on 5/12/01 at 02:03 (047559)

Ditto from me too, Catherine - thanks.

Re: Sweeties and foot doctors/well I wondered to if u were in medical field

Tammie on 5/12/01 at 08:44 (047567)

Julie,
You always have so much knowledge, about this foot stuff so very professional I to wondered if u were a Dr. in discuise or some type of medical person.But you are knowledgable on all sorts of things!!! It is good to follow your posts as I think you are a very intelligent woman. ! Thanks for sharing so much knowledge and support to us!!! I hope that you continue as so many people need people like u! Thanks!

Julie on 5/10/01 at 06:27 (047302)

Scott, I posted my comment about Pauline's posts on the thread before coming to the SS board. I apologize.

Scott R on 5/10/01 at 07:13 (047307)

Julie, you don't have to apologize because you acted within the new rule. I need support from others before I do a foul. I want to know it's not just my personal opinion, and I want the person who is getting fouled to know that it's not just me. It is also a type of voting for a foul. Again, the new rule is that yuo can lambast someone in one and only one follow-up post ni response to an off-topic or mean post if it is fairly clear to me that they were in the wrong as you say, then they get fouled and you as the lambaster do not. Otherwise the lambaster is taking some risk if the foul isn't clear.

JudyS on 5/10/01 at 12:25 (047349)

Speaking of rules.....Scott, I have a bit of a concern about laypeople posting answers, especially to newbies, on the 'Ask the Foot Doctor' board. Lately I've seen treatment and pharmaceutical advice given there by people who are not doctors and it's a bit worrisome to me. I pretty much avoid posting on that board because I'm not a doctor. The exception for me is when I just want to give a poster a vote of support with the caution that I am not a doctor and they will get feedback from one.
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this recent trend?

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 13:06 (047357)

Judy - I hadn't noticed - but I don't always note where the posts are since I use the 'View messages since last visit'.

I do try to always start a response by 'I am not a doctor' - if I notice it's on the doctor board.

Sometimes we have a little more time to respond than the doctors - and maybe it's sometimes easier to put it into 'patient words'. I also think that new people automatically ask things on the doctor board - that many patients have a lot of information on.

Was it one of my posts in particular? Please let me know if I did something misleading...that's not my intent.

I did look up a link on a drug that someone had asked about - but I don't know if that's what you mean?

Maybe I will go over there and take a better look!

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 13:10 (047358)

Judy - I did a quick scan and I didn't think it was any more so than before.

I agree with your concern though - if the board is titled 'Ask the Doctors' - then one should assume there are only doctors on there answering.

We knew this was going to be an issue when Scott created that board. I would hate to see other posters banned from responding though - most often other patients also have very valuable information to offer.

Maybe there should be a qualifier or explanation on that board, or an obligation to start posts there with 'I am not a doctor....'?

What does everyone else think?

Cynthia D on 5/10/01 at 13:38 (047362)

I agree, Wendy. I feel so bad when there is a lonely little unanswered question there for a day or two with no answers. The person must feel sad on top of being in pain, when they return later to see no one helped them. I do like to offer advice there if it relates to my own experiences, and I think it's a good idea (liability wise, as well), to always inform them 'I'm not a doctor but this happened to me, too....' kind of sentence. That board has been so busy lately, I wish more doctors would 'tune in.'

JudyS on 5/10/01 at 21:04 (047404)

Not to worry, Wendy. It was most definately not a particular post of yours and I don't want to leave the impression that I'm 'finger pointing' at any particular post(s).
We all have such thorough experience with PF and related problems that it's natural to want to share our knowledge (that's what we're here for). I'm just concerned that we may inadvertantly say something, especially to a newcomer, that could mislead or panic a reader unnescessarily.
I like the suggestion that we try to answer on that board more for support and in order to reassure a poster that a doctor WILL be along to advise them.

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 22:03 (047409)

Thanks for the reminder Judy - I did notice that on a few of my responses I did not add 'I am not a doctor'...I think we should all be more careful so we do not mislead anyone.

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:37 (047419)

Judy, I know I'm one of the people you mean, so please let me too know if you feel I've over-stepped a line. I agree with Wendy that it's all right, and useful, for us to offer information there, as long as it's clear that it isn't coming from a doctor, and that we are speaking from our own experience.

Doctor Z has encouraged us to be a team and post there, and has said it is a help to him if we do take some of the responsibility. The doctors don't have a great deal of time to be on line, and sometimes new posts do go unanswered for a while, so a response from one of us may call a doctor's attention to the original post, which s/he may have missed.

I usually say 'I'm sure one of the doctors will respond'. But perhaps 'I am not a doctor' should be a required introduction.

JudyS on 5/11/01 at 11:18 (047465)

Julie Julie Julie..........you're such a sweetie and I need to be very clear that I wasn't targeting any single post or person..least of all you.
For some reason it just seemed like a bit of a trend so I thought we might want to be careful. And.....you're such a sweetie....I could never say so if I thought someone overstepped on this little thing - it's not for me to say. I only get poopy when it seems like someone's been rude!

Julie on 5/11/01 at 11:28 (047468)

Me? A sweetie? I'm blushing. Very rare for me! Thank you, dear Judy, and so are you.

CatherineL on 5/11/01 at 16:31 (047511)

Kinda new here, but here goes...

I've posted questions on the Ask the Dr board and have appreciated when others respond as well. We all have a lot of information to share.

CL

Ddr. Zuckerman on 5/11/01 at 18:13 (047524)

You are a sweetie Julie. A dam good British foot doctor too. !!!

wendyn on 5/11/01 at 18:51 (047528)

Thank you Catherine - that's good for all of us to know!

Re: Sweeties and foot doctors

Julie on 5/12/01 at 02:02 (047558)

Thank you kindly, doctor, but if we were having a sweetie competition, you would win it hands down.

Hey, I'm not even British, let alone a doctor. I'm an expatriate New Yorker, 40 years in London this year (my husband is British). And all I know about feet and heel pain I have learned on this website from you and others.

Julie on 5/12/01 at 02:03 (047559)

Ditto from me too, Catherine - thanks.

Re: Sweeties and foot doctors/well I wondered to if u were in medical field

Tammie on 5/12/01 at 08:44 (047567)

Julie,
You always have so much knowledge, about this foot stuff so very professional I to wondered if u were a Dr. in discuise or some type of medical person.But you are knowledgable on all sorts of things!!! It is good to follow your posts as I think you are a very intelligent woman. ! Thanks for sharing so much knowledge and support to us!!! I hope that you continue as so many people need people like u! Thanks!