Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain on back of heel...

Posted by Jason M on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047323)

I've had PF for a couple of years, but have made great improvements over the past 6 months and am about 90% pain free with PF. However, on my left achilles heel right where my achilles tendon meets the heel bone I have a very sensitive spot. If I squeeze on the this spot it hurts very badly. Some days are worse than others, but the sensitivity never really goes away. I've tried stretching but it seems to make it hurt worse the next day. This is just one little spot about 1 inch BY 1 inch. My ach. tendon doesnt' hurt other than there. I'm not sure that my shoes are even causing the problem, but I need to try something. I can't change shoes at this point because I'm afraid to re-aggravate my PF. I wear Timberland 35054 stiff shank, mid-cut boots...these are absolutley the best boots in the world. I tried almost every kind of boot out there (including birk boots) before finally finding these. Are there any shoe modifications or pads that might help?
Thanks,
jason

Re: pain on back of heel...

Richard, C.Ped on 5/10/01 at 11:12 (047340)

Hi Jason,
I posted this on the Dr. Board, then did a copy and paste here. So if the response looks familiar, that is why.

Sounds like Achilles Tendinitis, Retrocalcaneal Bursitis or Calcaneal Insertionitis. Could I be more vague? :-)

Are you flat footed by chance? That can cause excessive torque on the Achilles tendon and cause pain. Do you currently wear orthotics?

jason m on 5/11/01 at hrmin (047429)

Thanks for responding. I do have flat feet. I do wear custom orthotics in my gym shoes, but not in my boots that I wear most of the time. The boots are a very good fit and provide better support (for my foot) than the orthotics do. Although I never had this achil pain until after I started wearing the orthotics... I wonder if the orthotics could have something to do with this inflamation? They are fairly thick and cause a bit of heel elevation. (although like I said I don't wear them that much anymore). Any thoughts?

Richard, C.Ped on 5/14/01 at 11:00 (047712)

Jason,
I am not sure, but if there is no medical reason to have the heel elevation, you may have to get the orthosis adjusted. It is really hard to say without seeing you with them. It is possible that you are being pushed up and the heel counter is is rubbing you in that area. Have them looked at soon.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 5/10/01 at 11:12 (047340)

Hi Jason,
I posted this on the Dr. Board, then did a copy and paste here. So if the response looks familiar, that is why.

Sounds like Achilles Tendinitis, Retrocalcaneal Bursitis or Calcaneal Insertionitis. Could I be more vague? :-)

Are you flat footed by chance? That can cause excessive torque on the Achilles tendon and cause pain. Do you currently wear orthotics?

jason m on 5/11/01 at hrmin (047429)

Thanks for responding. I do have flat feet. I do wear custom orthotics in my gym shoes, but not in my boots that I wear most of the time. The boots are a very good fit and provide better support (for my foot) than the orthotics do. Although I never had this achil pain until after I started wearing the orthotics... I wonder if the orthotics could have something to do with this inflamation? They are fairly thick and cause a bit of heel elevation. (although like I said I don't wear them that much anymore). Any thoughts?

Richard, C.Ped on 5/14/01 at 11:00 (047712)

Jason,
I am not sure, but if there is no medical reason to have the heel elevation, you may have to get the orthosis adjusted. It is really hard to say without seeing you with them. It is possible that you are being pushed up and the heel counter is is rubbing you in that area. Have them looked at soon.
Richard