Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about problems with flat feet and PF

Posted by Paula G. on 5/10/01 at hrmin (047331)

Here I am again with questions. I am the one who tried the orthotics and they messed up my feet.
For a few weeks now I have noticed my feet look 'wider'...but I have just dismissed it as in my mind. Well, I have pain in the smaller three toes and on that side of my foot.
I noticed this morning my arches are gone! That is why my feet look so wide is because my arches have possibly fallen? The whole foot is flat on the floor.
What would this do to the heel spurs and PF?? Has anyone heard of this happening??

Re: Question about problems with flat feet and PF

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 13:00 (047356)

Paula - I am not a doctor. It sounds as if you have possibly had your post tib tendon collapse - it can happen. Apprently it causes a very sudden very flat foot.

You need to contact your doctor right away and have it looked at.

Paula G. on 5/10/01 at 15:36 (047372)

Thanks. I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe that is what is causing my arches to hurt so much all the sudden. Are there some kind of symptoms?

jason m on 5/11/01 at hrmin (047483)

Paula,
When my PF was at it's worst, my feet appeared to be very, very flat. But now that I am better for the most part they appear to have much more of an arch. I think it must have just been general swelling of the PF area that made my feet appear flatter than they do now. I remember elevating my feet straight up on the wall for 15 min. or so and the swelling would go down and I could notice much more of an arch. Just thought I'd mention it. You probably need to let your doc have a look though.

wendyn on 5/11/01 at 13:25 (047489)

Yes - they would include feet that suddenly seem to flatten out. Where the heck are the doctors on this one?!?!

Try posting it on the 'Ask the doctors board' I think they'll be more helpful than us non-medical folks on this matter.

wendyn on 5/10/01 at 13:00 (047356)

Paula - I am not a doctor. It sounds as if you have possibly had your post tib tendon collapse - it can happen. Apprently it causes a very sudden very flat foot.

You need to contact your doctor right away and have it looked at.

Paula G. on 5/10/01 at 15:36 (047372)

Thanks. I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe that is what is causing my arches to hurt so much all the sudden. Are there some kind of symptoms?

jason m on 5/11/01 at hrmin (047483)

Paula,
When my PF was at it's worst, my feet appeared to be very, very flat. But now that I am better for the most part they appear to have much more of an arch. I think it must have just been general swelling of the PF area that made my feet appear flatter than they do now. I remember elevating my feet straight up on the wall for 15 min. or so and the swelling would go down and I could notice much more of an arch. Just thought I'd mention it. You probably need to let your doc have a look though.

wendyn on 5/11/01 at 13:25 (047489)

Yes - they would include feet that suddenly seem to flatten out. Where the heck are the doctors on this one?!?!

Try posting it on the 'Ask the doctors board' I think they'll be more helpful than us non-medical folks on this matter.