Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles Tendonitis?

Posted by Donna M. on 5/10/01 at 12:50 (047353)

I have tried to read everything I could see on AT, but have not been able to come across what I am trying to find.
I have PF and a heel spur, but I would like to know what Achilles Tendonitis is and what are the symptoms?
Thanks in advance,

Donna M.

Re: Achilles Tendonitis?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/11/01 at 18:07 (047523)

It is usually pain where the tendon attaches to the back of the heel. You can also have pain in the area between the heel bone and the muscle area.

Some symptoms

Limping when first getting up in the morning. Pain when bending the foot and ankle at the back of the foot in the lower part of the calf. Should always check out the possibility of a clot if the part is in the back of the leg. A doctor should be able to rule this out with an examination and some further testing such as doppler ultrasound.

So what is going on with your achilles tendon. Tell us more about it

Donna M. on 5/11/01 at 23:48 (047550)

Thanks for the answer! I had just read different messages where people talked about it and had no idea of what AT was.
You answered one of my questions a few days ago about the pain I have on my heel, and I think you said it was probably the lateral band and that an injection and taping would probably help it.
Since the first 2 injections I had never phased the PF, maybe only to make it worse, maybe a 3rd would possibly help! (Always heard '3rd times charm'!)
When I get up in the morning I have a terrible time, but after a few minutes it gets better. For a couple of hours after I'm up I get around really good in my Birks, but as the day wears on 'all' the pain comes back and exercise, shoes, ice, tape, massage, nothing helps but to get off of it.
My heel has several tender/sore spots, but the one closest to the outside edge of my heel is a killer and the exercises don't seem to phase it!
Since I have gone through injections and therapy with no results, what do you suggest that I could or should do next?

nielsl on 5/15/01 at 07:58 (047779)

hi donna, could you please give me some links for me to find out more about AT ? Thanks.

Donna M. on 5/15/01 at 23:58 (047896)

Hi Nielsl, I'm trying to find out about it myself and having no luck!! If you find out anything, put a message to me on the Treatment/Symptoms Board and I will do the same for you okay?
I want to know what it is and the symptoms and have no idea of either!!
Good Luck!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/11/01 at 18:07 (047523)

It is usually pain where the tendon attaches to the back of the heel. You can also have pain in the area between the heel bone and the muscle area.

Some symptoms

Limping when first getting up in the morning. Pain when bending the foot and ankle at the back of the foot in the lower part of the calf. Should always check out the possibility of a clot if the part is in the back of the leg. A doctor should be able to rule this out with an examination and some further testing such as doppler ultrasound.

So what is going on with your achilles tendon. Tell us more about it

Donna M. on 5/11/01 at 23:48 (047550)

Thanks for the answer! I had just read different messages where people talked about it and had no idea of what AT was.
You answered one of my questions a few days ago about the pain I have on my heel, and I think you said it was probably the lateral band and that an injection and taping would probably help it.
Since the first 2 injections I had never phased the PF, maybe only to make it worse, maybe a 3rd would possibly help! (Always heard '3rd times charm'!)
When I get up in the morning I have a terrible time, but after a few minutes it gets better. For a couple of hours after I'm up I get around really good in my Birks, but as the day wears on 'all' the pain comes back and exercise, shoes, ice, tape, massage, nothing helps but to get off of it.
My heel has several tender/sore spots, but the one closest to the outside edge of my heel is a killer and the exercises don't seem to phase it!
Since I have gone through injections and therapy with no results, what do you suggest that I could or should do next?

nielsl on 5/15/01 at 07:58 (047779)

hi donna, could you please give me some links for me to find out more about AT ? Thanks.

Donna M. on 5/15/01 at 23:58 (047896)

Hi Nielsl, I'm trying to find out about it myself and having no luck!! If you find out anything, put a message to me on the Treatment/Symptoms Board and I will do the same for you okay?
I want to know what it is and the symptoms and have no idea of either!!
Good Luck!!