Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching makes hips sore!

Posted by HoustonKay on 5/10/01 at 18:41 (047390)

Had pain in both heels. One got well by itself; however, other still painful. Went to Pod, who gave me instructions to stand on phone book and hang heels off about 10 times a day. If I do this, my hips get so sore that I can hardly walk. What could I be doing wrong?

Re: Stretching makes hips sore!

Dr. Zuckermand on 5/10/01 at 19:39 (047394)

You may want to stop this method of stretching. I like the feet flat on the floor against the wall method. I also like the personal foot trainer for non-weight bearing stretching .

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:21 (047416)

You could be allowing your pelvis to tip forward and your lower back to arch - easy to do with this exercise, and it can cause back as well as hip pain. I agree with Dr Z: lay off this exercise. It's difficult to control, and could make your heel pain worse - and irritate your achilles tendons.

If you want a similar exercise that avoids these dangers, have a look at the heel pain book in which Scott describes and illustrates standing on a slant board. This similar ly increases the angle of dorsiflexion without the danger of over-stretching. You can adjust the angle of the board, so you have control over the movement.

Sorry to disagree with your pod, but they don't know everything - especially about exercise. Go carefully with all weight-bearing stretching, which is not suitable for everyone. If anything hurts, stop.

Try, sitting in a chair, bending your feet backwards and forward at the ankles, and circling them. You might also look into the Personal Foot Trainer and/or the Acu-Flex.

HoustonKay on 5/11/01 at 17:37 (047519)

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely discontinue the sretching advised by Pod and replace with other methods.

Bill E on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048092)

Kay,
I am a big believer in stretching because I can definitely tell the difference (positive) after stretching...even the next day. But I know that it isn't the answer for everyone. I actually like the stretch that is bothering you but I find that I need something to hold on to to keep myself completely upright. I also have one of the 'Pro Stretch' stretchers that I kind of like. You can find them under the products here. Again, it requires something to hold on to to stay upright. I have a couple of other favorites (non-load-bearing). Sitting flat on the floor with a towel, one leg straight out and the other flat on the floor and bent a bit so the bottom of your foot is kind of facing the other knee. Wrap the towel around your toes of the leg that is stretched out straight and then stretch by pulling on the towel. There is a combined action (for me) bending the toes back while stretching through the calf. Another is to simply bring your foot up into your lap and bend the toes back with one hand while kind of massaging and working on the bottom of the foot with the other. This one is quite relaxing and seems to help a lot. The last one is to lie flat on your back. Bring one foot up under your butt so the knee is straight up in the air and bent at a 90 degree angle. Then raise the other leg straight up. keep the knee locked! Bring it up as high as you possibly can. I sometimes support it with my hands around my knee. With the leg up you will get a good calf stretch. Then rotate your foot in slow, stretching circles. You can also bring the toes towards your head. This will increase the stretch.

I wish that I had drawings of these. I may look for them online somewhere and see if I can post them here or somewhere. I hope this helps
Bill

HoustonKay on 5/17/01 at 18:47 (048127)

Thanks, Bill--I was wondering where I could find some other stretches. Your descriptions are fine. My hips are almost well. Now I have to work on getting my foot well. I think a pair of shoes caused all this, and it is going to take a long time to get over that pair of shoes. They did not hurt my feet at all, so it was a while before I realized the shoes were causing the problem. They were closed toe clogs with a slightly raised heel. Thanks again for the stretches.

Bill E. on 5/17/01 at 20:43 (048142)

Really??? I have worn lots of clogs in my life and find them to be (usually) quite comfortable. I think that the main thing is to have some support for your arches. Raised heels are usually recommended. Slightly raised ones that is.

A long thread of stretches would probably be useful for those of us for whom they work.

Bill

Dr. Zuckermand on 5/10/01 at 19:39 (047394)

You may want to stop this method of stretching. I like the feet flat on the floor against the wall method. I also like the personal foot trainer for non-weight bearing stretching .

Julie on 5/11/01 at 02:21 (047416)

You could be allowing your pelvis to tip forward and your lower back to arch - easy to do with this exercise, and it can cause back as well as hip pain. I agree with Dr Z: lay off this exercise. It's difficult to control, and could make your heel pain worse - and irritate your achilles tendons.

If you want a similar exercise that avoids these dangers, have a look at the heel pain book in which Scott describes and illustrates standing on a slant board. This similar ly increases the angle of dorsiflexion without the danger of over-stretching. You can adjust the angle of the board, so you have control over the movement.

Sorry to disagree with your pod, but they don't know everything - especially about exercise. Go carefully with all weight-bearing stretching, which is not suitable for everyone. If anything hurts, stop.

Try, sitting in a chair, bending your feet backwards and forward at the ankles, and circling them. You might also look into the Personal Foot Trainer and/or the Acu-Flex.

HoustonKay on 5/11/01 at 17:37 (047519)

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely discontinue the sretching advised by Pod and replace with other methods.

Bill E on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048092)

Kay,
I am a big believer in stretching because I can definitely tell the difference (positive) after stretching...even the next day. But I know that it isn't the answer for everyone. I actually like the stretch that is bothering you but I find that I need something to hold on to to keep myself completely upright. I also have one of the 'Pro Stretch' stretchers that I kind of like. You can find them under the products here. Again, it requires something to hold on to to stay upright. I have a couple of other favorites (non-load-bearing). Sitting flat on the floor with a towel, one leg straight out and the other flat on the floor and bent a bit so the bottom of your foot is kind of facing the other knee. Wrap the towel around your toes of the leg that is stretched out straight and then stretch by pulling on the towel. There is a combined action (for me) bending the toes back while stretching through the calf. Another is to simply bring your foot up into your lap and bend the toes back with one hand while kind of massaging and working on the bottom of the foot with the other. This one is quite relaxing and seems to help a lot. The last one is to lie flat on your back. Bring one foot up under your butt so the knee is straight up in the air and bent at a 90 degree angle. Then raise the other leg straight up. keep the knee locked! Bring it up as high as you possibly can. I sometimes support it with my hands around my knee. With the leg up you will get a good calf stretch. Then rotate your foot in slow, stretching circles. You can also bring the toes towards your head. This will increase the stretch.

I wish that I had drawings of these. I may look for them online somewhere and see if I can post them here or somewhere. I hope this helps
Bill

HoustonKay on 5/17/01 at 18:47 (048127)

Thanks, Bill--I was wondering where I could find some other stretches. Your descriptions are fine. My hips are almost well. Now I have to work on getting my foot well. I think a pair of shoes caused all this, and it is going to take a long time to get over that pair of shoes. They did not hurt my feet at all, so it was a while before I realized the shoes were causing the problem. They were closed toe clogs with a slightly raised heel. Thanks again for the stretches.

Bill E. on 5/17/01 at 20:43 (048142)

Really??? I have worn lots of clogs in my life and find them to be (usually) quite comfortable. I think that the main thing is to have some support for your arches. Raised heels are usually recommended. Slightly raised ones that is.

A long thread of stretches would probably be useful for those of us for whom they work.

Bill