Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

three months post op

Posted by CAROL on 5/11/01 at hrmin (047425)

Wow, I have just seen the Doc for my three month check up and he is very pleased with my progress. So am I suddednly in the past week or two I have far less pain and am really quite comfortable. He says all my residual symtoms are normal for this stage given the severety of the commpression on my nerve (I had a botched up tts op two years ago by someone else and that caused very dense scar tissue) I have been having intensive PT and doing a lot of exercise with a theraband elastic strap and I am positive that has got me this far so successfully. I was so despondent at one stage. I do excercises with this rubber band three times a day and can feel the muscles strengthening as I do it. My whole foot, calf and thigh had gone to pieces as have had the problem for 5 years so have been walking awkwardly. Am still in the elastic stocking and have to be for another three months. All I can say to people considering the op is - the post op is almost more important than the op and it is certainly a long haul. On top of this on Tuesday this week I had an emergency gall bladder removal op and today (three days later am at the computer, feeling a bit ancient but really no other problem) tts is 1000 times more of a problem than this. What a year its been - I live in South Africa and am going to the UK for a month in June to visit family (we immigrated here in 1976) and can't wait to get to new scenery etc. My bedroom is getting a bit boring!!!! and the bed a little saggy!! The only people that have enjoyed all this are my dogs and cats who have an excuse to snuggle up!! Go well everyone. Please e-mail me if you want. Carol

Re: three months post op

Matt L on 5/11/01 at 09:01 (047440)

Good luck with your recovery. I was curious if your surgeon utilized any special procedures. I too had a tts operation almost 5 years ago. It is thought that scar tissue is causing the reoccurence of pain. My current doctor utilizes a procedure which wraps vein around the nerve to insulate it from external pressure from scar tissue etc. Did your surgeon do anything similiar to prevent a reoccurence?

CAROL on 5/11/01 at 09:40 (047447)

no special procedure was utilised. Just an excellent experienced surgeon which is so important and rest, rest and more rest afterwards plus PT. After my first op i was just left to get better with no mention of rest ,no weightbearing etc. The scar is very long and i have had to rub it all the time to prevent tissue forming also the PT has utilised ultra sound etc. and done a lot of moving the scar around. It is very supple now and very thin. The main thing my surgeon says is avoid and swelling after the op. I still have funny tingling etc. but that is normal at this stage he says. Also my big toe and the next are quite numb. Go well. Carol

Matt L on 5/11/01 at 09:01 (047440)

Good luck with your recovery. I was curious if your surgeon utilized any special procedures. I too had a tts operation almost 5 years ago. It is thought that scar tissue is causing the reoccurence of pain. My current doctor utilizes a procedure which wraps vein around the nerve to insulate it from external pressure from scar tissue etc. Did your surgeon do anything similiar to prevent a reoccurence?

CAROL on 5/11/01 at 09:40 (047447)

no special procedure was utilised. Just an excellent experienced surgeon which is so important and rest, rest and more rest afterwards plus PT. After my first op i was just left to get better with no mention of rest ,no weightbearing etc. The scar is very long and i have had to rub it all the time to prevent tissue forming also the PT has utilised ultra sound etc. and done a lot of moving the scar around. It is very supple now and very thin. The main thing my surgeon says is avoid and swelling after the op. I still have funny tingling etc. but that is normal at this stage he says. Also my big toe and the next are quite numb. Go well. Carol