Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF

Posted by Hansen_art on 5/12/01 at hrmin (047584)

I was diagnosed with PF 10/2000. I have been fitted with orthodics and wear a night splint per my physicial. Initially there was relief from the pain. The heel pain returned slowly over a few months and I was given cortisone injections. This was VERY helpful...for just couple of days. Is there anything else that can help relieve my heel pain?!?!?

Re: PF

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/12/01 at 11:11 (047586)

How much pain are you having and when do you have this pain. ?

hansen_art on 5/13/01 at hrmin (047638)

The pain varies...on a 1- 10 scale, my average day is a 3.
When I put in a long day at school, (I teach) the pain can be severe enough, (an 8) that when I get home all I want to do is put my feet up and not walk the rest of the day. Other days my feet are just a bit sore, (a 1) and I continue on with my regular routine. I can't really seem to find a pattern to the more severe pain. I currently wear New Balance tennis shoes with custom orthodics, per my physician.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/13/01 at 12:07 (047640)

The first thing I would do is tape your foot on a weekly time frame still wearing the orthosis. Take Vioxx and or celebrex . Rest is a big factor and the standing on the cement floors is part of the problem, but we need teachers to teach. I don't remember my teacher not showing up because of foot pain but then I never asked them why they couldn't be there. We only listened to our teachers back in the good old days So this is what I would for the next few weeks until school is out. What are your plans for the summer.?

hansen_art on 5/13/01 at hrmin (047643)

I will be teaching summer school for the last three weeks of June. Then I will be spending the rest of the summer getting my PF under control.
Are there any exercises that could be helpful? I really would like to get this under control before next fall.
Thank you so much for your information and quick responses!

niels l on 5/13/01 at 15:09 (047651)

I have tried the foot trainer and i have had positive results with it.

I think it is a good device to help strengthen the toe and foot muscles.

Julie on 5/13/01 at 15:30 (047654)

Hi Hansen Art (or is it Art Hansen?)

I think you would do well to try taping. It rests the fascia, and thus helps it to heal, as well as relieving the pain. Read about it in part 2 of the heel pain book, and if you want to ask any questions or need any help, please say. You can e-mail me if you like.

It's hard to advise on exercise without knowing a bit more. As your pain level is sometimes high, I'd suggest that you stay clear of weight-bearing exercise, which can sometimes do more harm than good: the 'classic' wall stretch usually recommended for PF isn't right for everybody. Look into the Personal Foot Trainer (PFT) as Niel suggests, and also the Acu-Flex. Both are good for strengthening as well as stretching.

Some simple foot exercises are:

Curl the toes forward; then stretch and spread them
Bend the feet backwards and forwards at the ankles
Circle the feet at the ankles, individually and together

If you do these before you get out of bed, you'll probably find that it lessens the first-thing-in-the-morning pain. And of course you can do them at any time.

Good wishes

Julie

Julie on 5/13/01 at hrmin (047655)

Oops - forgot my e-mail address. If you do want to e-mail me, click on my name in blue, above.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/12/01 at 11:11 (047586)

How much pain are you having and when do you have this pain. ?

hansen_art on 5/13/01 at hrmin (047638)

The pain varies...on a 1- 10 scale, my average day is a 3.
When I put in a long day at school, (I teach) the pain can be severe enough, (an 8) that when I get home all I want to do is put my feet up and not walk the rest of the day. Other days my feet are just a bit sore, (a 1) and I continue on with my regular routine. I can't really seem to find a pattern to the more severe pain. I currently wear New Balance tennis shoes with custom orthodics, per my physician.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/13/01 at 12:07 (047640)

The first thing I would do is tape your foot on a weekly time frame still wearing the orthosis. Take Vioxx and or celebrex . Rest is a big factor and the standing on the cement floors is part of the problem, but we need teachers to teach. I don't remember my teacher not showing up because of foot pain but then I never asked them why they couldn't be there. We only listened to our teachers back in the good old days So this is what I would for the next few weeks until school is out. What are your plans for the summer.?

hansen_art on 5/13/01 at hrmin (047643)

I will be teaching summer school for the last three weeks of June. Then I will be spending the rest of the summer getting my PF under control.
Are there any exercises that could be helpful? I really would like to get this under control before next fall.
Thank you so much for your information and quick responses!

niels l on 5/13/01 at 15:09 (047651)

I have tried the foot trainer and i have had positive results with it.

I think it is a good device to help strengthen the toe and foot muscles.

Julie on 5/13/01 at 15:30 (047654)

Hi Hansen Art (or is it Art Hansen?)

I think you would do well to try taping. It rests the fascia, and thus helps it to heal, as well as relieving the pain. Read about it in part 2 of the heel pain book, and if you want to ask any questions or need any help, please say. You can e-mail me if you like.

It's hard to advise on exercise without knowing a bit more. As your pain level is sometimes high, I'd suggest that you stay clear of weight-bearing exercise, which can sometimes do more harm than good: the 'classic' wall stretch usually recommended for PF isn't right for everybody. Look into the Personal Foot Trainer (PFT) as Niel suggests, and also the Acu-Flex. Both are good for strengthening as well as stretching.

Some simple foot exercises are:

Curl the toes forward; then stretch and spread them
Bend the feet backwards and forwards at the ankles
Circle the feet at the ankles, individually and together

If you do these before you get out of bed, you'll probably find that it lessens the first-thing-in-the-morning pain. And of course you can do them at any time.

Good wishes

Julie

Julie on 5/13/01 at hrmin (047655)

Oops - forgot my e-mail address. If you do want to e-mail me, click on my name in blue, above.