Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question~Taping and Birks?

Posted by Donna M. on 5/12/01 at 16:20 (047609)

I'd like to find out something even though it might make me sound like a real dum-dum! When y'all tape your feet, do you keep it on when you wear your Birks or when you have any other type of arch or heel support in another kind of shoe?
I know this may sound dumb, but I would like to know! I kind of feel like if I have my foot taped and my foot is supported by the tape , then I should leave out my arch support and heel pad because it would be getting twice the lift/support. Right or wrong? I want to do what is best and I really am not sure which is correct! I would like some advice. Thanks!

Re: Question~Taping and Birks?

john h on 5/12/01 at 18:30 (047611)

it may be dumb but i do not know the answer donna m. good question.

JudyS on 5/12/01 at 21:03 (047616)

Donna, my understanding is that the tape is actually a precurser to using orthotics both to alleviate pain but, if it does so, then that's a sign that orthotics may be effective. I may be wrong, but I've not heard of using them together.

Julie on 5/13/01 at 15:10 (047652)

I use tape in conjunction with my orthotics, and with my Birks (it would be awfully inconvenient to strip the tape off every time I wanted to put my shoes on!) I can't answer for you, Donna: your problems are different from mine as you have a high arched foot. I cannot think of any reason why you should not have both at the same time, but all I can suggest is that you try it and see how it feels.

Judy, my understanding concurs with yours. If tape helps, it's a sign that orthotics may help.

Julie on 5/13/01 at 15:12 (047653)

Sorry: I got my Donnas mixed up. It's Donna SL who has the high-arched foot. Donna M, I repeat with more assurance that I can't see why you shouldn't wear your Birks or orthotics with taped feet.

CatherineL on 5/17/01 at 15:41 (048113)

I've used both at the same time, and my feet felt even better.

My guess is the only way is to try with and without to see what feels best for you. That ususally been a safe bet for me. If it feels okay, it helps.

Hope this helps.

Catherine

john h on 5/12/01 at 18:30 (047611)

it may be dumb but i do not know the answer donna m. good question.

JudyS on 5/12/01 at 21:03 (047616)

Donna, my understanding is that the tape is actually a precurser to using orthotics both to alleviate pain but, if it does so, then that's a sign that orthotics may be effective. I may be wrong, but I've not heard of using them together.

Julie on 5/13/01 at 15:10 (047652)

I use tape in conjunction with my orthotics, and with my Birks (it would be awfully inconvenient to strip the tape off every time I wanted to put my shoes on!) I can't answer for you, Donna: your problems are different from mine as you have a high arched foot. I cannot think of any reason why you should not have both at the same time, but all I can suggest is that you try it and see how it feels.

Judy, my understanding concurs with yours. If tape helps, it's a sign that orthotics may help.

Julie on 5/13/01 at 15:12 (047653)

Sorry: I got my Donnas mixed up. It's Donna SL who has the high-arched foot. Donna M, I repeat with more assurance that I can't see why you shouldn't wear your Birks or orthotics with taped feet.

CatherineL on 5/17/01 at 15:41 (048113)

I've used both at the same time, and my feet felt even better.

My guess is the only way is to try with and without to see what feels best for you. That ususally been a safe bet for me. If it feels okay, it helps.

Hope this helps.

Catherine