Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Lois on 5/13/01 at 11:06 (047637)

I hope this is the appropriate forum for my question. I had surgery on both feet for Morton's Neuroma 9 weeks ago and things have not gone well. I feel that I'm worse off now than I was before (which was pretty bad).

I can barely walk after being off my feet any length of time. The pain is primarily in the balls of my feet (again). I find myself walking on my heels which, of course, is causing pain in my ankles. I'm usually a very active person but right now I can barely make it through a trip to the grocery store. I find relief with icing or soaking.

I had the same surgery 20 years ago and was expecting the same positive results this time. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday and I'm wondering what they can expect to find. Should I request another doctor? I've lost confidence in the one that did my surgery.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Re: Morton's Neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/13/01 at 12:02 (047639)

Let's see what the MRI shows. Can determine stress fracture of the metatarsal bones which sometime is present . Stress fracture can cause extreme pain . Was the surgery done in the same area as twenty years ago.?
Is one foot worse then the other. Is pain in both feet at the same level . Is one worse then the other. Is the incision on the top of the foot or on the bottom of the foot,

lois on 5/13/01 at 12:11 (047641)

Wow! Thanks for the prompt contact. The incision on the left foot was not in the same location, however, there were *two* incisions on the right foot...one being in the same site as the old surgery. There is little difference in the level of pain. Both feet hurt like the dickens! The incisions were made on the top of both feet. The incisions on the right foot took a very long time to heal. There was a lot of oozing from one incision in particular. It's only been healed for about three weeks.

The podiatrist expressed concern that he may not have gotten all of the neuromas out. Seeing as I have pain in both feet, and to a greater degree than pre-surgery, I find that hard to believe.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/13/01 at 21:07 (047677)

Any lab work for diabetes, connective tissue disease such as lupus or RA

May need to look into the poor healing process.

lois on 5/13/01 at 21:19 (047678)

Thanks, Dr. Z. I haven't had any blood work done at all. I guess I'll wait to see what the MRI shows and take it from there.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/13/01 at 12:02 (047639)

Let's see what the MRI shows. Can determine stress fracture of the metatarsal bones which sometime is present . Stress fracture can cause extreme pain . Was the surgery done in the same area as twenty years ago.?
Is one foot worse then the other. Is pain in both feet at the same level . Is one worse then the other. Is the incision on the top of the foot or on the bottom of the foot,

lois on 5/13/01 at 12:11 (047641)

Wow! Thanks for the prompt contact. The incision on the left foot was not in the same location, however, there were *two* incisions on the right foot...one being in the same site as the old surgery. There is little difference in the level of pain. Both feet hurt like the dickens! The incisions were made on the top of both feet. The incisions on the right foot took a very long time to heal. There was a lot of oozing from one incision in particular. It's only been healed for about three weeks.

The podiatrist expressed concern that he may not have gotten all of the neuromas out. Seeing as I have pain in both feet, and to a greater degree than pre-surgery, I find that hard to believe.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/13/01 at 21:07 (047677)

Any lab work for diabetes, connective tissue disease such as lupus or RA

May need to look into the poor healing process.

lois on 5/13/01 at 21:19 (047678)

Thanks, Dr. Z. I haven't had any blood work done at all. I guess I'll wait to see what the MRI shows and take it from there.