Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by rose on 5/13/01 at 18:45 (047668)

planning surgery in 2 wks for atypical haglunds deformity md said expect 3 wks non wt bearing cast anyone know how painful
recovery will be will have crutches available & walker from friends if needed but really want to be independant as possible
any sugestion will be wonderful

Re: surgery

Susan U on 5/13/01 at 18:59 (047670)

Obviously if you are non-weightbearing you will need to use crutches or a walker. Personally I like the walker better. I feel more balanced. Sorry, I don't know anything about haglunds deformity. Just do what your dr. advises. If he/she says rest, put your foot up, ice it-- then do it! Don't underestimate the importance of pain meds. also. They do speed recovery. Take the maximum allowed for the first day or two and then less and less. It will help more than you can believe.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Re: surgery

Susan U on 5/13/01 at 18:59 (047670)

Obviously if you are non-weightbearing you will need to use crutches or a walker. Personally I like the walker better. I feel more balanced. Sorry, I don't know anything about haglunds deformity. Just do what your dr. advises. If he/she says rest, put your foot up, ice it-- then do it! Don't underestimate the importance of pain meds. also. They do speed recovery. Take the maximum allowed for the first day or two and then less and less. It will help more than you can believe.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.