Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS why can't I find a doc to give me custom orthotics?

Posted by Kate W on 5/13/01 at 23:02 (047682)

Hi, I was diagnosed last month with TTS and had a positive NCV test. First pod seemed to say that orthotics are a good treatment but when I went in to see about getting custom ones made (have used various soft and rigid, over the counter for previous Plantar fascitis) he backed off and said I should just get a cortisone shot. . . custom orthotics are so expensive, I should just continue wearing OTC. He said all this as he was backing out of the room! (I told him no thank you on the cortisone shot--had one for PF and don't want another ever again.)

So I am on to pod #2 who gave a me a weeks worth of oral steroids (methylprednisolone) and said we could CONSIDER PT and/or orthotics.

The steroids did nothing and in fact I am getting worse and even starting to feel that my other foot might be getting TTS. I feel that given my high arches and going on two years of foot pain (my PF was FINALLY doing much better when the TTS came on)a custom orthotic would do a lot of good. I work for local government and so my insurance is 'cadillac,' I called and they said my policy doesn't say anything about foot orthotics so they may or may not be covered, but I think they would be at least partially covered. . .

Why is everyone so reluctant to fit me with custom orthotics? Have I just not found the right pod yet? At this point I am willing to pay whatever and am considering Dr. Kiper's silicone things over the Internet. Paying several hundred dollars now has to be cheaper than quitting my job.

Any suggestions? Anybody else been helped by custom orthotics or had similar experiences with orthotic-shy podiatrists?
Kate W--27 and too young to put up with this for the rest of my life.

Re: TTS why can't I find a doc to give me custom orthotics?

DENNIS B. on 5/14/01 at 15:37 (047730)

I HAVE TRIED ORTHOTICS AND IN MY CASE THEY WEREN'T BENEFICIAL. HOWEVER, IT IS CERTAINLY SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE TRIED, IN MY OPINION. MY ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON GAVE ME A 'PRESCRIPTION' TO GO AND GET FITTED FOR ORTHOTICS. HE DIDN'T DO THE FITTING HIMSELF. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN GET IT DONE WITHOUT A DR. REFERRAL BUT IT'S WORTH A TRY. JUST GO TO YOUR YELLOW PAGES AND LOOK UNDER 'ORTHOPEDIC APPLIANCES' OR 'PROSTHETIC DEVICES' AND GIVE THEM A CALL AND SEE IF THEY WILL DO IT WITHOUT A DR. REFERRAL. I HAVE BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD AND THEY DO NOT COVER ORTHOTICS BUT THEY AREN'T A WALLET BUSTER ANYWAY. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, EACH ONE WAS AROUND $150 TO $200. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Kate W on 5/20/01 at 18:23 (048410)

Thanks Dennis

I have discovered that there is a good pedorthist in my area and I will definitely go see them whether I can get my doc to give me a referral or not.

Kate W

DENNIS B. on 5/14/01 at 15:37 (047730)

I HAVE TRIED ORTHOTICS AND IN MY CASE THEY WEREN'T BENEFICIAL. HOWEVER, IT IS CERTAINLY SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE TRIED, IN MY OPINION. MY ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON GAVE ME A 'PRESCRIPTION' TO GO AND GET FITTED FOR ORTHOTICS. HE DIDN'T DO THE FITTING HIMSELF. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN GET IT DONE WITHOUT A DR. REFERRAL BUT IT'S WORTH A TRY. JUST GO TO YOUR YELLOW PAGES AND LOOK UNDER 'ORTHOPEDIC APPLIANCES' OR 'PROSTHETIC DEVICES' AND GIVE THEM A CALL AND SEE IF THEY WILL DO IT WITHOUT A DR. REFERRAL. I HAVE BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD AND THEY DO NOT COVER ORTHOTICS BUT THEY AREN'T A WALLET BUSTER ANYWAY. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, EACH ONE WAS AROUND $150 TO $200. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Kate W on 5/20/01 at 18:23 (048410)

Thanks Dennis

I have discovered that there is a good pedorthist in my area and I will definitely go see them whether I can get my doc to give me a referral or not.

Kate W