Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS - Does it ever go away?

Posted by Doug J on 5/14/01 at hrmin (047737)

My doctor thinks I may have TTS. He is doing a diagnostic injection of cortisone this week.

While I have significant pain, and have had for about 8 months, it's not as bad as it was 6 weeks ago. Does TTS ever get better on its own or am I eventually doomed to surgery?

Re: TTS - Does it ever go away?

wendyn on 5/14/01 at 22:45 (047755)

Hi Doug - I don't know what the standard medical answer is...I guess it depends on what's causing your symptoms.

I am WAY better than I was a year ago, and 2 years ago I could hardly walk at all. My activity level the last two days?

Walked about 7 downtown blocks yesterday morning, puttered around the house most of the afternoon - walked about 20 minutes last night around the neighborhood (my feet were pretty sore last night). I biked 25 minutes at lunch, walked all day around at work, and just spent an hour wandering around the mall (and tonight my feet feel pretty good).

2 years ago, I had to have my husband pick up makeup for me at the mall - because I couldn't even make it in there myself. To put my make up on in the morning, I had to sit in my sink. I thought I was going to end up in a wheelchair.

So - I guess I would be living proof that it CAN happen!!!

Doug - can you give us some history on your foot...what's been happening - tests you've had done?

Doug J on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047772)

Wendyn:

Thank you for your reply.

I developed the condition about 8 months ago (I think - hard to remember the onset). I had been a runner for about 20 years and I had to take a year off. At the end of the year, I ran again, hard, usually on a hill. I began to notice my heels hurting. The only relief I felt was when I lay face down in bed. Fortunately, my sleep was not disturbed. Any touch to my feet caused pain, then tingling, then burning. I had x rays, bone scan, blood tests and then I found this website and found out there were other people who were suffering the same pains. I took a description to my doctor and, while he seemed a little abrupt at a patient suggesting a cause, he did say it sounds like TTS and performed the 'tapping' test to make sure. NOw he wants to do a diagnostic injection of cortisone.

Treatment I have had includes podiatrist (who was baffled), physio, acupunture, stretching, anti inflammatories, etc.

Originally, the tingling was fairly constant but it is abating and I don't think the symptoms are as bad now as they were 6 weeks ago when I thought I wouldn't be able to work (I teach and therefore spend much time standing which hurts the most). I still have the occasional painful flareup and I am aware all of the time that my feet are still not right, but I am hoping I am on the road to recovery. Unfortunately, what I read here seems to say that recovery is unlikely. Is that true?

Doug

eileenc on 5/15/01 at 11:48 (047810)

Amazing how many of us who are on this board are teachers! Good luck.

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 22:56 (047888)

Honestly Doug - I don't know. It seems to depend on what has caused the problem. For example - (from what I've read) if a person is diabetic and has permenant nerve damage causing TTS symptoms...then no - they are not likely to get better. It also seems to be less likely that someone will get better if no one can explain what is wrong in the first place (i.e. someone with no trauma, perfectly made feet, no excess activity, no excess weight - no system problems etc).

I think in my case (and it sounds like maybe in your case) - it may be an overuse problem. In retrospect, and from what I can piece together from doctors and my own research...I think I developed a very severe tendonitis and swelling...causing major problems with the nerves in my foot. I have a progressive condition in my feet and I've had trouble since I was a kid. When this started 2 years ago, I had pain everywhere from my foot, my calves, my chins, my inner leg, my knee (by that knobby bump on the outside) and often sciatica and back pain too.

With lots of rest, time, patience etc - I do seem to be on the road to recover. Also, orthotics, B12, yoga, and acupuncture. And rest. And time. And rest. And time.

2 other points...

If you have structural problems...a good pair orthotics may be essential to your recovery. Have you tried them?

And - when you had blood tests - did you have a test done for B12? Low B12 is something that should be ruled out whenever someone has unexplained pain or burning like you have.

Can you sit as much as possible while you teach?

Re: Another stupid typo

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 23:00 (047889)

I HAVE GOT TO TYPE SLOWER AND READ THINGS OVER BEFORE I POST.

I did not hurt in my chins. I hurt in my shins.

G'night.

Julie on 5/16/01 at 01:42 (047902)

Wendy, I can't resist barging in here. We all knew it was your shins, not your chins. There's always a context to put miss-typed words into, and 'chins' were clearly not in the context of all those leggy bits you described. S don't worry about typing errors (you make very few anyway). And we know from your picture that you've got only one chin.

Excuse the interruption, Doug, and I hope there's a solution out there for you. If there is, Wendy is more likely to know of it than anyone else around here.

All the best, Julie

Doug J on 5/16/01 at 06:09 (047913)

Thanks for the advice and understanding.

I will try orthotics. No test for B12 as far as I know. I'll mention it to my doc when I see him on Friday.

What really bugs me is I received this condition probably as a result of a life-long pursuit of trying to maintain my fitness and health. Ironic, isn't it?

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 07:39 (047920)

You just never know Julie...I've had days where everything hurt so bad ...maybe my chins did hurt?!

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 07:42 (047921)

Doug - please do mention the B12 - best not to tell your doct that you 'read it on the internnet'...you may just want to say that someone mentioned it to you. You don't have to say who. Some doctors are very put off by (hey - wasn't it you who ran in to this already?) patients who research their own conditions.

Re: Hmmmm

Julie on 5/16/01 at 07:45 (047923)

Well, Wendy, I hope that never happens again, but if it does, all I can say is - keep you chin(s) up!

Doug J on 5/16/01 at 17:26 (047983)

Thanks for your help.

wendyn on 5/14/01 at 22:45 (047755)

Hi Doug - I don't know what the standard medical answer is...I guess it depends on what's causing your symptoms.

I am WAY better than I was a year ago, and 2 years ago I could hardly walk at all. My activity level the last two days?

Walked about 7 downtown blocks yesterday morning, puttered around the house most of the afternoon - walked about 20 minutes last night around the neighborhood (my feet were pretty sore last night). I biked 25 minutes at lunch, walked all day around at work, and just spent an hour wandering around the mall (and tonight my feet feel pretty good).

2 years ago, I had to have my husband pick up makeup for me at the mall - because I couldn't even make it in there myself. To put my make up on in the morning, I had to sit in my sink. I thought I was going to end up in a wheelchair.

So - I guess I would be living proof that it CAN happen!!!

Doug - can you give us some history on your foot...what's been happening - tests you've had done?

Doug J on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047772)

Wendyn:

Thank you for your reply.

I developed the condition about 8 months ago (I think - hard to remember the onset). I had been a runner for about 20 years and I had to take a year off. At the end of the year, I ran again, hard, usually on a hill. I began to notice my heels hurting. The only relief I felt was when I lay face down in bed. Fortunately, my sleep was not disturbed. Any touch to my feet caused pain, then tingling, then burning. I had x rays, bone scan, blood tests and then I found this website and found out there were other people who were suffering the same pains. I took a description to my doctor and, while he seemed a little abrupt at a patient suggesting a cause, he did say it sounds like TTS and performed the 'tapping' test to make sure. NOw he wants to do a diagnostic injection of cortisone.

Treatment I have had includes podiatrist (who was baffled), physio, acupunture, stretching, anti inflammatories, etc.

Originally, the tingling was fairly constant but it is abating and I don't think the symptoms are as bad now as they were 6 weeks ago when I thought I wouldn't be able to work (I teach and therefore spend much time standing which hurts the most). I still have the occasional painful flareup and I am aware all of the time that my feet are still not right, but I am hoping I am on the road to recovery. Unfortunately, what I read here seems to say that recovery is unlikely. Is that true?

Doug

eileenc on 5/15/01 at 11:48 (047810)

Amazing how many of us who are on this board are teachers! Good luck.

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 22:56 (047888)

Honestly Doug - I don't know. It seems to depend on what has caused the problem. For example - (from what I've read) if a person is diabetic and has permenant nerve damage causing TTS symptoms...then no - they are not likely to get better. It also seems to be less likely that someone will get better if no one can explain what is wrong in the first place (i.e. someone with no trauma, perfectly made feet, no excess activity, no excess weight - no system problems etc).

I think in my case (and it sounds like maybe in your case) - it may be an overuse problem. In retrospect, and from what I can piece together from doctors and my own research...I think I developed a very severe tendonitis and swelling...causing major problems with the nerves in my foot. I have a progressive condition in my feet and I've had trouble since I was a kid. When this started 2 years ago, I had pain everywhere from my foot, my calves, my chins, my inner leg, my knee (by that knobby bump on the outside) and often sciatica and back pain too.

With lots of rest, time, patience etc - I do seem to be on the road to recover. Also, orthotics, B12, yoga, and acupuncture. And rest. And time. And rest. And time.

2 other points...

If you have structural problems...a good pair orthotics may be essential to your recovery. Have you tried them?

And - when you had blood tests - did you have a test done for B12? Low B12 is something that should be ruled out whenever someone has unexplained pain or burning like you have.

Can you sit as much as possible while you teach?

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 23:00 (047889)

I HAVE GOT TO TYPE SLOWER AND READ THINGS OVER BEFORE I POST.

I did not hurt in my chins. I hurt in my shins.

G'night.

Julie on 5/16/01 at 01:42 (047902)

Wendy, I can't resist barging in here. We all knew it was your shins, not your chins. There's always a context to put miss-typed words into, and 'chins' were clearly not in the context of all those leggy bits you described. S don't worry about typing errors (you make very few anyway). And we know from your picture that you've got only one chin.

Excuse the interruption, Doug, and I hope there's a solution out there for you. If there is, Wendy is more likely to know of it than anyone else around here.

All the best, Julie

Doug J on 5/16/01 at 06:09 (047913)

Thanks for the advice and understanding.

I will try orthotics. No test for B12 as far as I know. I'll mention it to my doc when I see him on Friday.

What really bugs me is I received this condition probably as a result of a life-long pursuit of trying to maintain my fitness and health. Ironic, isn't it?

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 07:39 (047920)

You just never know Julie...I've had days where everything hurt so bad ...maybe my chins did hurt?!

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 07:42 (047921)

Doug - please do mention the B12 - best not to tell your doct that you 'read it on the internnet'...you may just want to say that someone mentioned it to you. You don't have to say who. Some doctors are very put off by (hey - wasn't it you who ran in to this already?) patients who research their own conditions.

Julie on 5/16/01 at 07:45 (047923)

Well, Wendy, I hope that never happens again, but if it does, all I can say is - keep you chin(s) up!

Doug J on 5/16/01 at 17:26 (047983)

Thanks for your help.