Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to do next??

Posted by Denise N. on 5/14/01 at hrmin (047749)

I have been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome in my left heel. I have had pain in the this foot for years. Five years ago I consulted a podiatrist who recommended shoe inserts (over the counter orthotics). At this time it appeared my pain was due to plantar fascitis. After completing PT and stretching along with a cortisone shot, I had no pain for years!!!

This past January I started to experience similiar pain in my heel. The cortisone shots my podiatrist gave me only helped for a few weeks. I have been using a custom computer generated orthotic since the beginning of March along with biweekly ultrasound treatments for 2 months. I am also on Neurotin 3x a day and Celebrex 2x a day. My pain is continuing and now has moved to the outer left side of my heel and into the middle of the foot.

I work in a very busy Pathology lab and stand at least 6 hours a day, not to mention any standing and walking outside of work (ie..having to park my car a fair distance from work and walk up and down stairs in a parking garage). My podiatrist says to be patient before we try any surgery options. I try, but I am in constant pain. I would LOVE any suggestions or opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Denise N.

Re: What to do next??

wendyn on 5/14/01 at 22:37 (047753)

Hi Denise - and welcome...!

What type of tests have you had done?

When you say you have computer generated orthotics...were your feet ever casted for a mold - or was it just the walk across the mat kind?

Pauline on 5/15/01 at 20:37 (047867)

Denise,
Sounds like you have been though a lot and the pain just never gives up.
Don't you give up either. Before you make up your mind on surgery take time to read some of the entries on the Surgery Board. These people will tell you even after surgery there is no guarantee you will be any better off than you are right now.

I feel so sorry for those surgical patients because they all had such high hopes to find their cure through a surgical procedure only to find they still continue in the same pain, or more pain.

When your in so much pain it is hard to be grateful for anything, but you are truely blessed that your Pod does not jump you into surgery. If and when you do decide to go for it, please consider getting a second opinion to confirm your decision. Best of luck

Julie on 5/16/01 at 02:02 (047904)

Denise, is there any way you could do your work sitting on a high stool instead of standing? You might also ask your pod to prescribe a disabled parking permit (I can't remember what you call them in the States) so that you can park closer to work. Anything you can do to get off your feet will help to relieve your pain.

I have no experience of TTS. Perhaps Wendy could say whether taping, which can be helpful for PF, might also be beneficial for you.

denise n on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048138)

I walked across the mat...

denise n on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048139)

Thank you so much Pauline for your response. Yes...my pod is great about the surgery...even his partners agree it is the LAST resort. They tell me that 9 months or so is not unusual for this problem. It is not life threatening like so many illnesses, but geez...the pain is constant...and depressing...sigh. It is so nice to have someone understand!

Denise

denise n on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048140)

Thanks Julie...yes...they have given me the forms to get a disabled parking permit...but geez...I don't have the time to get it. You have to go to the courthouse during business hours...I work so much and of course during business hours! I know...just take the time and go get it. At my workplace, the handicapped parking is still a bit away from my laboratory. Also, my husband has been ill and I have to keep working for us. Life is difficult at times. :(

Again..thanks for your input.

Denise

Julie on 5/18/01 at 04:02 (048171)

Well, you took the words right out of my mouth. That's right - take the time to go and get it. Please.

If your husband is too ill to work you will have to be doubly careful of yourself. You don't want PF to get to the stage where you cannot work, or walk. Sounds like you need some time off to contemplate the whole situation. Time for a holiday, perhaps?

Julie on 5/18/01 at 04:06 (048172)

Sorry, I meant TTS not PF!

DR. Biehler on 5/20/01 at 07:13 (048339)

It might be time to have a biomechanical exam of the foot and if orthotics are needed a custom perscription should be written for them. Dr. B.

wendyn on 5/14/01 at 22:37 (047753)

Hi Denise - and welcome...!

What type of tests have you had done?

When you say you have computer generated orthotics...were your feet ever casted for a mold - or was it just the walk across the mat kind?

Pauline on 5/15/01 at 20:37 (047867)

Denise,
Sounds like you have been though a lot and the pain just never gives up.
Don't you give up either. Before you make up your mind on surgery take time to read some of the entries on the Surgery Board. These people will tell you even after surgery there is no guarantee you will be any better off than you are right now.

I feel so sorry for those surgical patients because they all had such high hopes to find their cure through a surgical procedure only to find they still continue in the same pain, or more pain.

When your in so much pain it is hard to be grateful for anything, but you are truely blessed that your Pod does not jump you into surgery. If and when you do decide to go for it, please consider getting a second opinion to confirm your decision. Best of luck

Julie on 5/16/01 at 02:02 (047904)

Denise, is there any way you could do your work sitting on a high stool instead of standing? You might also ask your pod to prescribe a disabled parking permit (I can't remember what you call them in the States) so that you can park closer to work. Anything you can do to get off your feet will help to relieve your pain.

I have no experience of TTS. Perhaps Wendy could say whether taping, which can be helpful for PF, might also be beneficial for you.

denise n on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048138)

I walked across the mat...

denise n on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048139)

Thank you so much Pauline for your response. Yes...my pod is great about the surgery...even his partners agree it is the LAST resort. They tell me that 9 months or so is not unusual for this problem. It is not life threatening like so many illnesses, but geez...the pain is constant...and depressing...sigh. It is so nice to have someone understand!

Denise

denise n on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048140)

Thanks Julie...yes...they have given me the forms to get a disabled parking permit...but geez...I don't have the time to get it. You have to go to the courthouse during business hours...I work so much and of course during business hours! I know...just take the time and go get it. At my workplace, the handicapped parking is still a bit away from my laboratory. Also, my husband has been ill and I have to keep working for us. Life is difficult at times. :(

Again..thanks for your input.

Denise

Julie on 5/18/01 at 04:02 (048171)

Well, you took the words right out of my mouth. That's right - take the time to go and get it. Please.

If your husband is too ill to work you will have to be doubly careful of yourself. You don't want PF to get to the stage where you cannot work, or walk. Sounds like you need some time off to contemplate the whole situation. Time for a holiday, perhaps?

Julie on 5/18/01 at 04:06 (048172)

Sorry, I meant TTS not PF!

DR. Biehler on 5/20/01 at 07:13 (048339)

It might be time to have a biomechanical exam of the foot and if orthotics are needed a custom perscription should be written for them. Dr. B.