Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain relief

Posted by jacqueline m on 5/14/01 at hrmin (047758)

I have been diagnosed with TTS. As you know I am in terrible pain. I was given a shot in the ankle and told to return in two weeks. I am still in constant pain and am using ice packs daily and taking motrin 800mg and loritab 5mg. It does not get rid of the pain just makes me sleepy for a hr or so and then I am awake in pain again. What can I do or to tell the doctor to prescribe for me. Also is it best to let a podiatriast treat tt or a neurologist? Please answer soon I am going to Disney World next month and need some relief. Please send reply to email thanks

Re: pain relief

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 18:15 (047849)

how is the back. you may need to be placed into a cast for complete resting of the foot and ankle

Pauline on 5/15/01 at 20:26 (047863)

You might prepare by reserving a wheel chair at Disney so if you need it
you have one. Using it is better than having to stay in your hotel room.
Foot problems are no fun and seem to take especially long to heal so if necessary get the chair and enjoy the park with your family. Best of luck.

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 22:47 (047887)

Pauline is definately right about the wheel chair - lots of us have had to use one at bad times - and is well worth it. People will stare at you - you will ignore it after a while. Slap a bandage on your foot if you don't want to answer questions.

What type of doctor have you seen - and what type of tests have you had done (this is why Dr Z is asking about your back)

Patti on 5/16/01 at 06:36 (047917)

I take Ultram for pain. I had tried Motrin and all kinds of pain meds before and Ultram has been the best so far. It doesn't make me sleepy either. It really takes the edge off!! Good luck and I agreee..get a wheel chair at Disney. I went to Kings Island last summer and it took me about a week to recover!

AJ on 5/16/01 at 12:09 (047949)

For pain, they gave me neurontin and ultram.
In regard, to a POD or Neurologist, I saw both concurrently and that worked well. The Neurologist helped most with pain management aspect of TTS. The POD helped especially with structural aspect of TTS and working to correct it via orthotics, cortisone shots, and finally surgery. If you can, I would see both. You can always ask them to work as a team, sharing info, treatments, etc.

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 22:39 (048023)

AJ - I think your answer makes a lot of sense. Maybe the 'team' approach is really the best answer...

Dr. Biehler on 5/20/01 at 07:09 (048338)

I find the shot for TTS has to be given directly into the tarsal tunnel for it to be effective. This location is usually found by using a doppler and following the sound of the artery untill it disappears as it goes into the tunnel. I have seen and think most doctors are taught just to give the shot around this general area, and get less than optimum results. It also is important to make sure the TTS is not a secondary finding do to improper bone aliengenment in the foot/ankle that can be corrected with functioal orthotics. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 18:15 (047849)

how is the back. you may need to be placed into a cast for complete resting of the foot and ankle

Pauline on 5/15/01 at 20:26 (047863)

You might prepare by reserving a wheel chair at Disney so if you need it
you have one. Using it is better than having to stay in your hotel room.
Foot problems are no fun and seem to take especially long to heal so if necessary get the chair and enjoy the park with your family. Best of luck.

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 22:47 (047887)

Pauline is definately right about the wheel chair - lots of us have had to use one at bad times - and is well worth it. People will stare at you - you will ignore it after a while. Slap a bandage on your foot if you don't want to answer questions.

What type of doctor have you seen - and what type of tests have you had done (this is why Dr Z is asking about your back)

Patti on 5/16/01 at 06:36 (047917)

I take Ultram for pain. I had tried Motrin and all kinds of pain meds before and Ultram has been the best so far. It doesn't make me sleepy either. It really takes the edge off!! Good luck and I agreee..get a wheel chair at Disney. I went to Kings Island last summer and it took me about a week to recover!

AJ on 5/16/01 at 12:09 (047949)

For pain, they gave me neurontin and ultram.
In regard, to a POD or Neurologist, I saw both concurrently and that worked well. The Neurologist helped most with pain management aspect of TTS. The POD helped especially with structural aspect of TTS and working to correct it via orthotics, cortisone shots, and finally surgery. If you can, I would see both. You can always ask them to work as a team, sharing info, treatments, etc.

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 22:39 (048023)

AJ - I think your answer makes a lot of sense. Maybe the 'team' approach is really the best answer...

Dr. Biehler on 5/20/01 at 07:09 (048338)

I find the shot for TTS has to be given directly into the tarsal tunnel for it to be effective. This location is usually found by using a doppler and following the sound of the artery untill it disappears as it goes into the tunnel. I have seen and think most doctors are taught just to give the shot around this general area, and get less than optimum results. It also is important to make sure the TTS is not a secondary finding do to improper bone aliengenment in the foot/ankle that can be corrected with functioal orthotics. Dr. B.