Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerve caught in scar tissue

Posted by ep on 5/15/01 at 04:41 (047767)

Do you have any experience of nerves caught in scar tissue causing PF. It has been suggested to me because my heel pain is made worse when I stretch from my middle / do breast stroke whilst swimming. And if so, I know nerves cannot be stretched, but how can you get rid of this problem?

Re: Nerve caught in scar tissue

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 18:14 (047848)

So are you saying the the pain increases in a pool while swmimming doing the breast stroke. This is a new one for me. Need more information

ep on 5/16/01 at 06:27 (047915)

I have had problems with my back (prolapsed disc several years ago) which never really recovered to allow me to play sport again. Saw physio who spent about 3 months realigning my pelvis and I did pilates everyday to help keep the muscles around my pelvis strong & the back problems disappeared. Two months after finishing the physio (but still doing exercised at home) I got pf. Went back to physio who said classic pf, thought to be from wearing bad shoes and tried taping (which made them worse) and stretching etc. Had scans / nerve conduction tests and again came away with pf diagnosis and a recommendation that I try and rest as much as possible. One thing I had noticed was that when I did my exercises my feet were much worse the next day than if I did not do them, so, I am now not doing anything other than swimming. I generally do front crawl (on the recommendation of my consutlant that I don't do breast stroke) but on the odd occasion I do breast stroke and find when I get out of hte pool my feel are hot and very tender to walk. This has led my consultant to suggest that there is a problem with the nerve, but whetehr it is in my back or foot ne can't tell.

I am having a break from physio to see if I can get rid of the inflamation in the heels (without too much sucess at the moment) but would like to know whether there is anything I might be able to do in terms of stretching which will not cause problems in the feet.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 18:14 (047848)

So are you saying the the pain increases in a pool while swmimming doing the breast stroke. This is a new one for me. Need more information

ep on 5/16/01 at 06:27 (047915)

I have had problems with my back (prolapsed disc several years ago) which never really recovered to allow me to play sport again. Saw physio who spent about 3 months realigning my pelvis and I did pilates everyday to help keep the muscles around my pelvis strong & the back problems disappeared. Two months after finishing the physio (but still doing exercised at home) I got pf. Went back to physio who said classic pf, thought to be from wearing bad shoes and tried taping (which made them worse) and stretching etc. Had scans / nerve conduction tests and again came away with pf diagnosis and a recommendation that I try and rest as much as possible. One thing I had noticed was that when I did my exercises my feet were much worse the next day than if I did not do them, so, I am now not doing anything other than swimming. I generally do front crawl (on the recommendation of my consutlant that I don't do breast stroke) but on the odd occasion I do breast stroke and find when I get out of hte pool my feel are hot and very tender to walk. This has led my consultant to suggest that there is a problem with the nerve, but whetehr it is in my back or foot ne can't tell.

I am having a break from physio to see if I can get rid of the inflamation in the heels (without too much sucess at the moment) but would like to know whether there is anything I might be able to do in terms of stretching which will not cause problems in the feet.