Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I guess I'm next.

Posted by Andrea R. on 5/15/01 at 08:50 (047789)

Tomorrow is my surgery. I'm having an open fascia release and spur removal. I won't know what time until later today. I had crutches training yesterday and I can see I won't be going far, at least until I can do some weight bearing on the foot.

I still haven't decided what anesthesia to get. I'm leaning toward an ankle block and getting enough drugs so I'm basically out of it. Any options?

Wish me luck.

Andrea

Re: I guess I'm next.

Tammie on 5/15/01 at 09:37 (047793)

I just wanted to wish you luck!!! I had something they called like twilight sleep? Whatever it was it was fantastic the surgery itself was the easy part!!!!I dont remmember anything after the anesthi. saying your husband looks familiar, I was out and then I remmber waking and seeing clock and thinking wow it is that late already. The first day was pretty good, the second day was harder, Please remember if they give you pain meds. Take them as prescribed as it is much harder when you wait to long to ease the pain. I was a complete clutz with the crutches and my kids still laugh at how silly I was. But they do help u to get around just not to fast give enough time to get to the bathroom lol I learned that.Well I wish you well and Prayers with you .

BrianG on 5/15/01 at 10:42 (047798)

Tammi, it warms my heart to see you telling people to take their pain meds, hahaaa.
Hi Andrea,
From what the doc's told me, the more anesthesia you get, the longer you'll be in the hospital. When I went in, I had a drip of Versed and ? (maybe Valium). It was just enough not to feel the needles for the local. I then was awake for the procedure and felt everything, except the pain. Since I wasn't looking, it felt kind of weird. The doc seemed to be twisting my leg every which way. But, there was no pain and it worked for me. Good luck.

BCG

PS Tammie is right. If you get pain meds, start taking them before the local wears off. It's easier to keep the pain under control, than to chase it, if it becomes bad. Hopefully you'll be a quick healer, but the open procedure can be quite painful for awhile.

Re: Re:Brian I told u I am a caregiver Not a patient lol!!!

Tammie on 5/15/01 at 11:08 (047803)

Heh, I did try to take the pain meds! I had a reaction to the vicoden and he gave me darvecet to replace it which was like worthless.When telling that to them, they did not want to hear it so well what does a person do/ either live with it or find a new dr. But Andrea is going to be fine she is going to have a wonderful Dr. and he is going to listen to her and provide all the comfort measures he can including adequate pain meds. Already I can see they have at least taught her how to use crutches, lol mine was at surgery center just before they did surgery lol. And Andrea I hope you have asked lots of questions before the surgery, like what you might feel and what to consider normal and what is something that should alert you! Ask a ton of questions now!!!! It will make the recovery less stressful! And one more word of advice, lol, Is dont expect a miracle overnight , I am learning time is in this, and everyone is very different! I will look foward to hearing your progress!!!!!!!! Good Luck , and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Andrea R. on 5/15/01 at 11:47 (047809)

Thanks for the support. It's great to be able to read about how other are doing and what to expect. I have alot of faith in my doctor. We tried all the conservative methods before he would consider surgery. He only does surgery when it is absolutely the last resort and has had a good success rate. He did his surgical nurse's foot and she was back to work within two months. He did say that she had no complications and healed quickly.

I learned how to take pain meds last year when I had shoulder surgery. The doctors used to say take as needed, but then it's too late. I got my scripts for pain and anti-inflammatory meds last week and filled them on Saturday. No stopping at the store on the way home.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Andrea

Thanks again

Re: suggestion

Susan U on 5/15/01 at 17:50 (047836)

Have you considered using a walker instead of crutches? It's much more stable. Good luck w/your surgery and remember this is a LONG healing process! Try not to be impatient like the rest of us! LOL

Re: suggestion - Walker vs. Crutches

Bruce on 5/16/01 at 22:58 (048027)

I am getting around on a borrowed walker and it has been wonderful!

Two reasons:
1) stability when walking

2) it gives you something solid to pull yourself up with.

Bruce

john h on 5/17/01 at 09:39 (048073)

bruce: i hated the walker. after 2 days (after surgery) i disposed of it and went to the crutches. i guess it is just a matter of personal preference.

Re: I Survived the Surgery!

Andrea R. on 5/17/01 at 15:18 (048108)

I had my surgery yesterday. The doctor said it went extremely well. It went better than he expected.

There is a lot less pain than I expected but I've been taking the pain meds to keep it from getting out of control. I'm managing on crutches. I couldn't get a walker through my narrow bathroom door, but thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully after I see the doctor next week I'll be able to start some weight bearing which will make it easier.

My biggest problem is staying awake. I'm off to take another nap.

Bruce on 5/17/01 at 21:25 (048156)

Andrea,

It sounds like you and I are on the same track. Good surgery, less pain than expected, using the pain meds faithfully, and trouble staying awake!

On a slightly downer of a note, I've been on Demerol for pain and Cipro for antibiotic for 48 hours, and then started having reactions this afternoon. Threw up once, itching all over. Called my doc - he suspects it is reaction to the Demerol, so I am making the switch to Vicoden (sp.?) tonight for pain.

Let's all keep keeping in touch. This has been great.

Bruce

BrianG on 5/18/01 at 15:28 (048226)

Hi Bruce,

Glad your doing OK. Try taking some Benadryl for the itching. And take your meds after eating, if possible. It will save your stomach. Vicodan can be broken in half if your body feels like it can't take a wole pill. It might be better to take smaller amounts, more often. A few more days and hopefully you'll be weaning off the meds. Good luck

BCG

Re: To Bruce I Survived the Surgery!

Pauline on 5/18/01 at 15:37 (048227)

One of our largest Medical Center has ban the use of Demerol. It is no longer used at all because of the number of cases of reaction to this drug.
It is one of the more progressive centers in the area and I think their move a wise one. Physicians who are not associated with the center still continue to use it in their practices.

Re: I Survived the Surgery!: Benadryl

Bruce on 5/18/01 at 18:18 (048232)

Brian,

My doc recommended Benadryl today, too! I will be trying that suggestion as well.

Thanks!

Bruce

Re: To Pauline re Demerol

Bruce on 5/18/01 at 18:20 (048233)

Pauline,

I agree with you. I am definitely off the Demerol now.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Bruce

wendyn on 5/18/01 at 20:06 (048240)

Definately Benadryl for the itching - if the allergic reaction continues - make sure you see the doctor..you could need something stronger.

Could also be the antibiotic....

I had the same reaction to morphine...but I have no problem with Demerol. Everyone is different (I think it took about 48 hours for the itching to stop. At one point I was on gravol (for nausea) benadryl (for itching) and leratine (sp?) a narcotic for pain. I didn't know my last name.

Re: Cipro

Tammie on 5/18/01 at 20:24 (048242)

Hi ,
I see allot of patients that get very sick to there tummys with cipro, it seems to be pretty hard on the tummy till it gets in your system?We always try to get them to eat first, but still sometimes it makes them vomit! I wonder if this was bothering u to?.Maybe mention to Dr. and try food ? Just a thought.I hope you are feeling better! That on top of the surgery stuff cannot be to pleasant.

Re: Cipro, Vicoden, Benadryl

Bruce on 5/20/01 at 14:55 (048380)

Hi, all!

Thanks for suggestions.

As for itching, the switch from Demerol to Vicoden and adding Benadryl solved that problem.

Upset stomach is also pretty much gone, just about back to eating normal. Maybe adjustment to Cipro just takes time!

I started to decrease my dosage and frequency of Vicoden last night. It has now been 5 full days. I got a little bit lazy about wearing my boot, flexed my foot a little bit, and WOW, did that hurt! Yes, the Vicoden is still serving a purpose. I am being careful again. I must say, I am starting to get a little stir-crazy. I will see Doc again in 48 hours.

Bye for now - my 3 year old needs attention.

Bruce

Andrea R. on 5/21/01 at 13:16 (048471)

Hello all,

I'm surviving fairly well. I'm getting better on my crutches but I did fall on Saturday evening and land on my bad foot. I saw the Dr. today just to make sure everything is okay. Everything looks good and the stitches come out next Monday. Then I Start some weight-bearing and stretching. I have been flexing my foot to keep things stretched and workable.

I'm only taking pain meds at night when even minimal pain bothers me. I still have the anti-inflamaroty which I'll keep taking. Most of the time I keep my foot elevated and ice it if I've had it down for a while. I went for a long car ride and then out to lunch with a friend. I can tell it is time for ice and elevation.

I guess I've been lucky not to have any complications with my meds. I already knew there were a few I couldn't take so I was a step ahead there.

Back to the couch.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep in touch.

Andrea

Re: I Survived the Surgery!: One week followup

Bruce on 5/21/01 at 22:19 (048526)

Andrea,

Scary you fell on Sat. but glad for good report from doc.

I see Doc. tomorrow (Tues.) for my first followup. I'll let y'all know.

Bruce

Re: I Survived the Surgery!: One week followup: Report

Bruce on 5/22/01 at 16:10 (048595)

Doc said things look real good.

Can start weight-bearing as is comfortable.

Stitches to come out Fri. June 1st.

EPF was bruised but looked OK, but the Haglund's, yuck! Looked like Frankenstein.

I'm out of town for a week.

Talk to you all later.

Bruce

Tammie on 5/15/01 at 09:37 (047793)

I just wanted to wish you luck!!! I had something they called like twilight sleep? Whatever it was it was fantastic the surgery itself was the easy part!!!!I dont remmember anything after the anesthi. saying your husband looks familiar, I was out and then I remmber waking and seeing clock and thinking wow it is that late already. The first day was pretty good, the second day was harder, Please remember if they give you pain meds. Take them as prescribed as it is much harder when you wait to long to ease the pain. I was a complete clutz with the crutches and my kids still laugh at how silly I was. But they do help u to get around just not to fast give enough time to get to the bathroom lol I learned that.Well I wish you well and Prayers with you .

BrianG on 5/15/01 at 10:42 (047798)

Tammi, it warms my heart to see you telling people to take their pain meds, hahaaa.
Hi Andrea,
From what the doc's told me, the more anesthesia you get, the longer you'll be in the hospital. When I went in, I had a drip of Versed and ? (maybe Valium). It was just enough not to feel the needles for the local. I then was awake for the procedure and felt everything, except the pain. Since I wasn't looking, it felt kind of weird. The doc seemed to be twisting my leg every which way. But, there was no pain and it worked for me. Good luck.

BCG

PS Tammie is right. If you get pain meds, start taking them before the local wears off. It's easier to keep the pain under control, than to chase it, if it becomes bad. Hopefully you'll be a quick healer, but the open procedure can be quite painful for awhile.

Re: Re:Brian I told u I am a caregiver Not a patient lol!!!

Tammie on 5/15/01 at 11:08 (047803)

Heh, I did try to take the pain meds! I had a reaction to the vicoden and he gave me darvecet to replace it which was like worthless.When telling that to them, they did not want to hear it so well what does a person do/ either live with it or find a new dr. But Andrea is going to be fine she is going to have a wonderful Dr. and he is going to listen to her and provide all the comfort measures he can including adequate pain meds. Already I can see they have at least taught her how to use crutches, lol mine was at surgery center just before they did surgery lol. And Andrea I hope you have asked lots of questions before the surgery, like what you might feel and what to consider normal and what is something that should alert you! Ask a ton of questions now!!!! It will make the recovery less stressful! And one more word of advice, lol, Is dont expect a miracle overnight , I am learning time is in this, and everyone is very different! I will look foward to hearing your progress!!!!!!!! Good Luck , and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Andrea R. on 5/15/01 at 11:47 (047809)

Thanks for the support. It's great to be able to read about how other are doing and what to expect. I have alot of faith in my doctor. We tried all the conservative methods before he would consider surgery. He only does surgery when it is absolutely the last resort and has had a good success rate. He did his surgical nurse's foot and she was back to work within two months. He did say that she had no complications and healed quickly.

I learned how to take pain meds last year when I had shoulder surgery. The doctors used to say take as needed, but then it's too late. I got my scripts for pain and anti-inflammatory meds last week and filled them on Saturday. No stopping at the store on the way home.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Andrea

Thanks again

Re: suggestion

Susan U on 5/15/01 at 17:50 (047836)

Have you considered using a walker instead of crutches? It's much more stable. Good luck w/your surgery and remember this is a LONG healing process! Try not to be impatient like the rest of us! LOL

Bruce on 5/16/01 at 22:58 (048027)

I am getting around on a borrowed walker and it has been wonderful!

Two reasons:
1) stability when walking

2) it gives you something solid to pull yourself up with.

Bruce

john h on 5/17/01 at 09:39 (048073)

bruce: i hated the walker. after 2 days (after surgery) i disposed of it and went to the crutches. i guess it is just a matter of personal preference.

Andrea R. on 5/17/01 at 15:18 (048108)

I had my surgery yesterday. The doctor said it went extremely well. It went better than he expected.

There is a lot less pain than I expected but I've been taking the pain meds to keep it from getting out of control. I'm managing on crutches. I couldn't get a walker through my narrow bathroom door, but thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully after I see the doctor next week I'll be able to start some weight bearing which will make it easier.

My biggest problem is staying awake. I'm off to take another nap.

Bruce on 5/17/01 at 21:25 (048156)

Andrea,

It sounds like you and I are on the same track. Good surgery, less pain than expected, using the pain meds faithfully, and trouble staying awake!

On a slightly downer of a note, I've been on Demerol for pain and Cipro for antibiotic for 48 hours, and then started having reactions this afternoon. Threw up once, itching all over. Called my doc - he suspects it is reaction to the Demerol, so I am making the switch to Vicoden (sp.?) tonight for pain.

Let's all keep keeping in touch. This has been great.

Bruce

BrianG on 5/18/01 at 15:28 (048226)

Hi Bruce,

Glad your doing OK. Try taking some Benadryl for the itching. And take your meds after eating, if possible. It will save your stomach. Vicodan can be broken in half if your body feels like it can't take a wole pill. It might be better to take smaller amounts, more often. A few more days and hopefully you'll be weaning off the meds. Good luck

BCG

Re: To Bruce I Survived the Surgery!

Pauline on 5/18/01 at 15:37 (048227)

One of our largest Medical Center has ban the use of Demerol. It is no longer used at all because of the number of cases of reaction to this drug.
It is one of the more progressive centers in the area and I think their move a wise one. Physicians who are not associated with the center still continue to use it in their practices.

Re: I Survived the Surgery!: Benadryl

Bruce on 5/18/01 at 18:18 (048232)

Brian,

My doc recommended Benadryl today, too! I will be trying that suggestion as well.

Thanks!

Bruce

Re: To Pauline re Demerol

Bruce on 5/18/01 at 18:20 (048233)

Pauline,

I agree with you. I am definitely off the Demerol now.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Bruce

wendyn on 5/18/01 at 20:06 (048240)

Definately Benadryl for the itching - if the allergic reaction continues - make sure you see the doctor..you could need something stronger.

Could also be the antibiotic....

I had the same reaction to morphine...but I have no problem with Demerol. Everyone is different (I think it took about 48 hours for the itching to stop. At one point I was on gravol (for nausea) benadryl (for itching) and leratine (sp?) a narcotic for pain. I didn't know my last name.

Re: Cipro

Tammie on 5/18/01 at 20:24 (048242)

Hi ,
I see allot of patients that get very sick to there tummys with cipro, it seems to be pretty hard on the tummy till it gets in your system?We always try to get them to eat first, but still sometimes it makes them vomit! I wonder if this was bothering u to?.Maybe mention to Dr. and try food ? Just a thought.I hope you are feeling better! That on top of the surgery stuff cannot be to pleasant.

Re: Cipro, Vicoden, Benadryl

Bruce on 5/20/01 at 14:55 (048380)

Hi, all!

Thanks for suggestions.

As for itching, the switch from Demerol to Vicoden and adding Benadryl solved that problem.

Upset stomach is also pretty much gone, just about back to eating normal. Maybe adjustment to Cipro just takes time!

I started to decrease my dosage and frequency of Vicoden last night. It has now been 5 full days. I got a little bit lazy about wearing my boot, flexed my foot a little bit, and WOW, did that hurt! Yes, the Vicoden is still serving a purpose. I am being careful again. I must say, I am starting to get a little stir-crazy. I will see Doc again in 48 hours.

Bye for now - my 3 year old needs attention.

Bruce

Andrea R. on 5/21/01 at 13:16 (048471)

Hello all,

I'm surviving fairly well. I'm getting better on my crutches but I did fall on Saturday evening and land on my bad foot. I saw the Dr. today just to make sure everything is okay. Everything looks good and the stitches come out next Monday. Then I Start some weight-bearing and stretching. I have been flexing my foot to keep things stretched and workable.

I'm only taking pain meds at night when even minimal pain bothers me. I still have the anti-inflamaroty which I'll keep taking. Most of the time I keep my foot elevated and ice it if I've had it down for a while. I went for a long car ride and then out to lunch with a friend. I can tell it is time for ice and elevation.

I guess I've been lucky not to have any complications with my meds. I already knew there were a few I couldn't take so I was a step ahead there.

Back to the couch.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep in touch.

Andrea

Re: I Survived the Surgery!: One week followup

Bruce on 5/21/01 at 22:19 (048526)

Andrea,

Scary you fell on Sat. but glad for good report from doc.

I see Doc. tomorrow (Tues.) for my first followup. I'll let y'all know.

Bruce

Re: I Survived the Surgery!: One week followup: Report

Bruce on 5/22/01 at 16:10 (048595)

Doc said things look real good.

Can start weight-bearing as is comfortable.

Stitches to come out Fri. June 1st.

EPF was bruised but looked OK, but the Haglund's, yuck! Looked like Frankenstein.

I'm out of town for a week.

Talk to you all later.

Bruce