Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS pain laterally

Posted by Matt L on 5/15/01 at 10:57 (047800)

I had TTS surgery in 1996. Before the surgery my pain was primarily medial (towards middle/inside) of my right foot. Presently my pain, which is suspected to be TTS caused by scar tissue, is more lateral (on the outside of the sole of the right foot). Does anybody elses have TTS that presents this way? Does this information help identify specifically where on the ankle the compression/entrapment is located?

Re: TTS pain laterally

claudia m on 5/15/01 at 16:39 (047830)

Hi Matt, I have my pain pretty close to where you said yours was before the TTS surgery and also pain on the outside of the sole of the foot. I am 5 weeks post op now and still having quite a bit of discomfort on the inside of my foot by my arch and across my arch to the area on the outside sole of my foot. I had scar tissue in the same area on the inside of my foot where they done the surgery. So I would say it is possible for it to be hurting their and scar tissue to be in that area. Hope this helps, it is just my experience.

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 22:45 (047886)

Matt - I'm not a doctor - but I do no that there are three branchess off the post tib nerve. One to the inner foot and arch, one to the heel and one (the lateral plantar) goes to the area you describe. When my TTS was very bad - I also had pain in this area. Do nerve conduction tests show a problem with that nerve?

Matt L on 5/16/01 at 07:37 (047918)

The surgeon is holding off on redoing the nerve conduction test until all other (non-invasive) options have been exhausted- he is very reluctant to do a second release. Do you know if the 3 branches of the posterior tibial nerve are independently analyzed in the test? I'm curious approximately where on the ankle the problem is so I can direct PT (ultrasound, massage etc.) to the proper specific place.

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 22:37 (048022)

Matt - yes, it is my understanding that the specific branches are analyzed in the test. I can understand your doctors hesitation to do a second release - but has he said why he's avoiding the testing?

Matt L on 5/17/01 at 07:44 (048053)

He thinks its not necessary until surgery becomes a more likely option. Unfortunately, at least in his eyes, the bar- in terms of pain- is real high to do a second operation. In my case the pain is significant but not overwhelming. It's a subjective call- I'd do the surgery in a heartbeat if he recommended it.

Donna SL on 5/17/01 at 08:49 (048064)

Matt,

Did your doc check out your peroneal nerves/tendon? Problems there can cause lateral pain. Also, the lateral recurrent calcaneal nerve which I think is a branch from the Sural nerve could cause lateral pain if it was entrapped.

Kenk on 5/22/01 at 15:35 (048593)

I have nearly the same time frame and symptoms, although the pain on the outside of the foot was there pre and post TTS surgery. A physical therapist recently got a reaction in this area of the foot by pressing a nerve below and to the right of the knee. He recommended excercises to stretch and strenghten the muscles in the lower leg. I'm not sure how all this relates to TTS, but I'm willing to try anything to relieve the pain and numbness.

claudia m on 5/15/01 at 16:39 (047830)

Hi Matt, I have my pain pretty close to where you said yours was before the TTS surgery and also pain on the outside of the sole of the foot. I am 5 weeks post op now and still having quite a bit of discomfort on the inside of my foot by my arch and across my arch to the area on the outside sole of my foot. I had scar tissue in the same area on the inside of my foot where they done the surgery. So I would say it is possible for it to be hurting their and scar tissue to be in that area. Hope this helps, it is just my experience.

wendyn on 5/15/01 at 22:45 (047886)

Matt - I'm not a doctor - but I do no that there are three branchess off the post tib nerve. One to the inner foot and arch, one to the heel and one (the lateral plantar) goes to the area you describe. When my TTS was very bad - I also had pain in this area. Do nerve conduction tests show a problem with that nerve?

Matt L on 5/16/01 at 07:37 (047918)

The surgeon is holding off on redoing the nerve conduction test until all other (non-invasive) options have been exhausted- he is very reluctant to do a second release. Do you know if the 3 branches of the posterior tibial nerve are independently analyzed in the test? I'm curious approximately where on the ankle the problem is so I can direct PT (ultrasound, massage etc.) to the proper specific place.

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 22:37 (048022)

Matt - yes, it is my understanding that the specific branches are analyzed in the test. I can understand your doctors hesitation to do a second release - but has he said why he's avoiding the testing?

Matt L on 5/17/01 at 07:44 (048053)

He thinks its not necessary until surgery becomes a more likely option. Unfortunately, at least in his eyes, the bar- in terms of pain- is real high to do a second operation. In my case the pain is significant but not overwhelming. It's a subjective call- I'd do the surgery in a heartbeat if he recommended it.

Donna SL on 5/17/01 at 08:49 (048064)

Matt,

Did your doc check out your peroneal nerves/tendon? Problems there can cause lateral pain. Also, the lateral recurrent calcaneal nerve which I think is a branch from the Sural nerve could cause lateral pain if it was entrapped.

Kenk on 5/22/01 at 15:35 (048593)

I have nearly the same time frame and symptoms, although the pain on the outside of the foot was there pre and post TTS surgery. A physical therapist recently got a reaction in this area of the foot by pressing a nerve below and to the right of the knee. He recommended excercises to stretch and strenghten the muscles in the lower leg. I'm not sure how all this relates to TTS, but I'm willing to try anything to relieve the pain and numbness.